2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I didn't know that MPL controls Ain't She Sweet. It is cool that Paul, through MPL, sought out the publishing for some of the songs that the Beatles must have covered thousands of times.

MPLRecords likes this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Do you see any mention of Warner on the mono vinyl reissues?

3. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Warner owns the Parlophone name, but the Beatles' catalog is administered by Calderstone Productions, which is part of UMG.

Colinjpush, soundQman and jmxw like this.
  4. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Is that short for Ultimate Money Grab?

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

@mikecarrera,
    Can you reveal the last three picture sleeves for IWTHYH, PW and RL? Or, are you saving them got closer to announcement day.

Thanks!

saborlord123 and mikecarrera like this.
  6. I’m traveling right now but when I get home I will take a look and let you know.

7. Yes, Calderstone is a somewhat mysterious entity that appears to be controlled by Universal. Exactly what Calderstone controls is the question. Right now, we are talking about the physical location where the master tape archive resides and/or the master tapes themselves. I’m not talking about the mechanical rights, per se.

8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I just looked at my MMT Mono album and it only has the Universal logo on the sticker on the front, plus the apple logo, no showing of Warners at all.
    I have never heard of Warner having anything to do with the Beatles catalogue, just Universal.

9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What are the chances we see one or a few Beatles 45s from this set as standalone RSD Black Friday releases? Get Back/Don't Let Me Down would make sense given the 50th anniversary and the upcoming new documentary.

10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Before an official announcement is made by Apple I'd just like to state that I believe Mike Carrera has been not only yanking our chains, but also pulling our legs and having us on about the choices of picture sleeves. If I'm right then I have nothing but admiration for his cunning ruse, if I'm wrong then I've only got one question - what the hell are Apple thinking? :uhhuh:

11. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

If the box will actually use the lackluster sleeves, then the justification will probably be nostalgia. Right now there's another thread about the Beatles' U.S. albums CD box set, with people complaining that the absence of duophonic ("fake") stereo and thick layers of reverb amounts to a betrayal of the fans who want the albums to sound like the ones they enjoyed 50 years ago.

Personally, I don't listen to 45s all that much (and I own the blue singles box), so it would take something pretty special to induce me to buy a new set of Beatles singles. A world tour of picture sleeves that the band didn't approve won't do it.

12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

It would make sense, but so would have a Hey Jude/Revolution 50th anniversary release last year.

beatleroadie, MPLRecords and Monasmee like this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don’t think he’s yanking our chains, judging by his past posts.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  14. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

This is incorrect.
    Whilst Warners ended up with Parlophone, they ended up with it without the rights to The Beatles which went to Universal.
    For reissues of the albums that originally came out on Parlophone there was an agreement between Uni and Warner for use of the Parlophone label.

Jimmy Cooper likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, Mike is not fooling around with us. He definitely is helpful and informative in almost everything he posts. And he did mention that the picture sleeves that he saw dated back a number of months, and Apple might have changed some in the interim. For example, that fake Brazilian sleeve may or may not have been replaced.

Whatever the case, it was NOT a ruse on Mike's part.

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Apple is 2 steps ahead, outfoxing the foxes by maintaining a moving target. Heads are spinning. Admittedly, however, the general product content has unfortunately been prematurely leaked. Unauthorized leaks. Some love them. Some do not.

17. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Warners allow Universal the right to use the Parlophone label on Beatles records as a courtesy. They have no control over the Beatles catalogue, Universal has the exclusive rights.

18. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

well, at least someone asked the question! Answer: someone or many already guessed them and even posted them! Great Job, actually the two are one of the difficult to guess! I'm not going to confirm or deny any list but all of them are already 'out there'. The fun is over for now, let's move to Ringo's new album, then AR50th and after that we can continue here

19. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

? ?
    He has a new album coming out before AR50th?

20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

MPL bought the rights to those songs, in the same way that Sony/ATV bought the majority of Beatles' songs from Northern Songs back in the day...

Doesn't matter that he didn't write them. The publishing rights to a song are usually sold to the publishing company who then controls them and can buy and sell them like any commodity... it may sound weird, but that's how the business works. :(

21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Oh yeah Apple should have released a reissue four 7" box of the "Our First Four" singles from Apple in '68, that included HJ/R.

22. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

That’s what I was expecting, especially after the RSD Penny Lane/ SFF reissue

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Word!

We’re fortunate to have guys like @mikecarrera & @maccawings who have been gracious enough to share information with us whenever they can. They have no obligation to do so.

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

There's a bunch of artists on Parlophone now for reissues, that never were originally. One example that comes to mind is Jethro Tull.

25. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

As are various 60's EMI acts, originally on Columbia and HMV , now reissued on Parlophone (e.g. Herman's Hermits, The Animals and Manfred Mann).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.