2019 RSD pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I have the Third Man Vault colored vinyl pressing of “Trout Mask” (basically the same thing you have but on colored vinyl) and it’s fantastic!

Lost In The Flood, DrD77 and Clucking like this.
  2. SoundDoctor

I’ve had many more good pressing quality experiences than bad over my five years of collecting.

Vinyl_Blues, chacha and sonofjim like this.
  3. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

The Elvis Costello EP sounds terrific... glad I noticed it was 45 rpm before I threw it on the turntable!

joeortonjr, dee, GetHappy!! and 2 others like this.
  4. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Does this Europe release have a heavy cardboard sleeve?

5. SoundDoctor

It’s different - RSD Astral Weeks is a 10” of alternate versions.

6. SoundDoctor

Abkco has no excuse especially with an RSD reissue.

7. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Only listened to side A of Billy Joel at Carnegie Hall so far. Seems to be a little warped and the label not directly centered, but the sound is great and the vinyl is nice and quiet

8. DrD77

DrD77 Forum Resident

Golden Earring’s Moontan is fantastic so far. Finished Astral Weeks and could not be happier.

9. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

yes, and includes lyrics insert too.

10. SoundDoctor

MPO pressing like typical of Sony? A bit warped yet great sound and silent vinyl is a characteristic of MPO.

DrZhivago and Isamet like this.
  11. SoundDoctor

Frank Black is a winner here. Didn’t get Floyd or Tweedy this year.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  12. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I wish all vinyl was as quiet as this is ..well at least so far lol

SoundDoctor likes this.
  13. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I just finished listening to the entire album. The vinyl is quiet and flat and the performances are excellent. I was really looking forward to this album and am not disappointed in any way. (On a side note, my favorite Jerry Garcia release, with or without the Grateful Dead, is the JGB 2CD live album from 1991.)

The only thing to note is that none of the sides are truly centered. If a 1mm sway of the tonearm bothers you, be aware. This seems to be the norm with much of new vinyl I've bought the past few years, though I own many vintage examples as well. I honestly can't hear any effect on this album or any others, but I know there are people who are very sensitive to even slightly off center pressings.

14. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I hear ya. Looks like others got a quality pressing of BOTT. I’m wondering if it has to do with meeting quantities and deadlines for RSD. The unlucky ones (myself included) may have got copies from a batch that suffered from a quick (or any) QC. It’s pressed at MPO which I haven’t experienced any of these issues from before.

Frustration is compounded by the “exclusivity” of these titles and a non existent replacement.

fortherecord and Isamet like this.
  15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Yes, not there in mine

16. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

Prices up - quality down, that’s my impression this year!
    Very badly warped copies of U2, Peter Gabriel (the worst I‘ve ever seen), Gorillaz and a disappointing pressing of Robert Plant‘s Fate of Nations (wasn‘t that announced on 2 discs ?).

17. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Yes, not there either.

18. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m really enjoying the 4 Way Street release. The records look very nice and are flat. The cover is quite adequate but nothing over the top.

There is some scattered minor noise but this is by far the quietest pressing of this show I have. I’ve always loved the sound of this album and this release reflects that sound quality very nicely.

19. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

Badfinger Rarities lp is very disappointing. Extreamly noisy and the sound is lackluster.

Should’ve known better as the cds are sub par as well.

granata, longdist01 and djost like this.
  20. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Somehow my new (on only) local record store, hosting their first RSD, received a copy of the UK RSD Acid Mothers Temple - Does The Cosmic Shepherd Dream Of Electric Tapirs instead of the NA RSD Invisible Eyes & Phantom Cathedral that I was expecting...and I'm NOT complaining! Marked as "Made in the E.U.", both discs are flat, centered, and pretty much noise free on all four sides with only the odd small tic. The only complaint or comment I have is that there are what sound like mastering drop outs in a couple of spots. I'd like to hear from anyone else who picked up this release if they have noticed the same thing on their copies.

21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Is this really mastered by Chris Bellman? CB in the deadwax?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  22. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I’ll check my copy tomorrow, too tired to listen to my new treasures! It’s a great sleeve to embarrass my teenage boys with though :D

audiolab1 likes this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Getting ready to fire up the Plant, Badfinger, and Wes Montgomery tonight and will post back (Bill Evans tomorrow) I did sample one song from the Plant, 29 Palms and it sounded great.

24. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yep, and it sounds very typical of his work. I’m really glad to finally have a nice quiet copy of this album. It was near the top of my wish list. Now if AP or MoFi decided to do a version I may not be done.

Isamet and teag like this.
  25. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Listening to the Green Day: Live at Woodstock. First, the old hoary cliche: "It's a flat, quiet, centered pressing." And it is. But it also sounds fairly good, considering what it is. It's a live punk show, so it's the furthest thing from audiophile-quality. But "When I Come Around" sounds a little better it did on the Woodstock '94 CD set from 25 years ago. A bit fuller, cleaner low end.

It's not 180-gram, if that's a deal-breaker for you. It's the same weight (probably about 140g) as most of my '60's, '70's and '80's records. So, fine with me. And I probably don't have to tell anyone this, but the performance is top-flight. Green Day at their loudest, snottiest, and most frenzied. In short, everything you want a punk show to be. If you were on the fence with this one, proceed with confidence.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.