2019 RSD pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Side 2 is fine, Side 1 is basically unlistenable. Sounds like it’s going thru a wood chipper. Question is if the store will accept it back

2. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Mine has a warp as well. Some noise on BOTT.

3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

That's disappointing but thanks for the heads up. I was going to try and pick one up. 500 is a really low run for a band this popular. Both tracks are pretty comprehensively covered on 'Assemblage' and I might pick up the original 'Life In Tokyo' 12" red vinyl instead.

4. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Does anyone have the M - Pop Musik 10" and can comment on the sound?

longdist01 likes this.
  5. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

My side 1 of BOTT has more than its share of that wood-chipper non-fill (which is probably the most annoying variation of non-fill I've ever heard in my life), mostly early on the side and mainly in "Simple Twist of Fate."

Side 2 sounds good.

fortherecord, petercl and Isamet like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I couldn't get Blood On The Tracks today. It had sold out. There is only one record shop where I went though.

Later this week I can get around several record shops and I think I'll be able to get one, but I'm concerned about the off centre and non fill problems people are reporting. These are two problems I find intolerable and inexcusable. It's not a particularly cheap record. I don't know if it's worth the risk. A couple of my friends have it but I haven't spoken to them yet. I might just record it from theirs!

7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

...and Side 2 just as good, we have a winner here!

Vinyl_Blues and mitchcortes like this.
  8. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Spinning my Ronnie Lane at the BBC and it’s insanely quiet — just completely silent between tracks, and my setup is very surface-noise sensitive. The recording itself is very nice, though not the most lively recording/mastering, which you’d expect from radio sessions.

AlienRendel likes this.
  9. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

I have played both Pink Floyd Saucer moon and Robert Plant Fate, both are flat and very quiet pressings. The Floyd is incredible, currently on my third listen !

10. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Allman Brothers has a slight warp on disc 1. Quiet pressing with only a few pops. Performance is, as expected, excellent. The soloing on Elizebeth Reed are especially hot.

Christopher B likes this.
  11. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody PicDisc is noisy....not through clicks and pops, in fact there aren’t any, but it is just noisy in between tracks and on the quieter parts.

12. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Listening to Albert King right now. This one is a winner. KG is the vinyl equivalent of the Good Housing Keeping seal of approval.

Kyhl, Twinsfan007, Defrance and 14 others like this.
  13. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Crazy, I know!

14. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Just settling down with Twink - Think Pink and the mono mix. OMG

Rekkerds, audiolab1 and Purplefowler like this.
  15. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Anyone listen to Alice Clark yet?

Slimwhit33, Vinyl_Blues and Blender like this.
  16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

LOL, I guess so, but if indeed it was just a shipping delay, then I'm going to wait until the record stores actually get it. It's Record Store Day after all!

Matisse likes this.
  17. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

That is a shame. It was probably the release I was most intrigued in what it sounded like.

18. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Would like to hear more about the quality of this one.

19. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I’ve played it twice, and trying to save my next listen for a couple of days time. Genuinely surprised by the mono mix...

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. Tablet Man

Tablet Man Forum Resident

Got wrecked last night and missed most of rsd this year. The only one I really fancied was Serj Tankian - Harikari...
    Anyone get this? Thoughts on pressing?

ODShowtime and drapes like this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

Listening to the Jeff Buckley record. Album comes with inner sleeve with a pic on 1 side and recording equipment notes, credits etc., and a few paragraphs written by Mary Guibert about the record, on the other side.

It's an intimate solo disc of recordings.
    Most affecting in its cumulative effect. Live in the studio performances. He seems pretty dialed-in to the moment but also ready to put solid performances to tape.

Surface noise evident on my record, mostly subtle, but present, certainly needs to be cleaned.
    Between the last 2 verses of Hallelujah it is more pronounced though, though it disappears during last verse. Pretty steady vinyl going round and round on my turntable.

Red Columbia labels. Download card included. A separate and more disc-friendly storage sleeve would have been better for the surface of the vinyl imo.

The 1st take of Mojo Pin at the session that Buckley quickly ends, not sure why it had to be included on the album, but it is what it is.

Buckley's performances of the songs included on the album seem creative and riveting to me even though I've heard multiple performances of almost all the songs before, a part of what will always be appealing about his talent, spirit, and charm - his sense of dynamics, phrasing, improvisation, and ultimately, musicality.

Committed performances but not too uptight to be bereft of fun or lacking in amusement and whimsy, yet still serious and deep. So many wonderful musical qualities. A welcome RSD release is this album. Jeff Buckley's voice and musical gift of self-expression - still precious, affecting, and moving, after all these years...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  22. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

My Floyd also plays dead quiet.

OptimisticGoat and petercl like this.
  23. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Just did the mono disc and it sounds flawless. Packaging is great too: two pink vinyl, a pink insert listing the pressing number/1000 as well as a pretty beautiful 12-page booklet. A+ stuff from Sunbeam.

audiolab1 likes this.
  24. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Wow, the Mission of Burma - Peking Spring sounds really good. Wasn’t sure what to expect witch this one, and wasn’t really expecting much. But it’s clean, flat & quiet, decent dynamics with a solid low end, stays composed even in the “busy” sections. Glad I picked this one up!

TheMovieRad, CBS CLASH 3 and jimhb like this.
  25. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

The Aretha singles sound terrific. Nice vinyl, vibrant sound. Great packaging to boot.

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.