2021 Hendrix Release Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by adam_777, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Saigor

Saigor Active Member

There are two versions of the Stockholm show in youtube, one in black and white and one in a cool colorized effect, i liked that show, Jimi seems rarely too serious and in a bad mood, he seems like he´s very upset of something, i think that it could be related to the tensions with Noel and the pressures of his management. The Stockholm 69 show could not be an amazing show but its a privillege for its recording quality, if regarding what you´re telling me there are even 3 more shows recorded and filmed in that quality it could be awesome releases, maybe a lot of people could be against it, but it would be a good choice to have a special feature to select the footage of the show in a colorized version if they are on black and white like the Stockholm show.

2. Saigor

Saigor Active Member

Already used that option and corrected all the errors i could find, thank you :)

jmxw likes this.
  3. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Its not what I am telling you its what Experience Hendrix John McDermott yold us in his 2009 book ultimate Hendrix. So its not just speculation the guy most familiar with the archive says they are in there.

Saigor likes this.
  4. Saigor

Saigor Active Member

The 3o minutes passed, couldn correct it anymore, mispelled the question, im asking if someone knows if the BOG rehearsed the experience era songs to get miles familiarized with them and if thats so are recordings of it?

5. Saigor

Saigor Active Member

Then its awesome news!! hope they will be released someday :)

6. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

New York Pop from 17 July 1970 might be salvageable--the version of "Red House" that appeared on the Jimi Hendrix Concerts LP sounds OK. If the rest of the show/tape is in that condition, that might be a candidate, I'd imagine.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

2 songs on the 70's film about the festival. Red House on a Jimi comp. Several songs on the HMT blu ray. Isn't most of the song already out? Plus Jimi is in a bad mood.

Jimi @ Lulu should also be on there. With several high quality true color images shot on set, I think it be worth trying to colorize this clip. Think Beatles "All You Need is Love" music video that was colorized.

8. Jimi was drunk and they couldn't score some coke. They scored in between sets and the second set was better. I don't think the first show was altogether shabby, but it's true; he wasn't in the best frame of mind.

dryjoy likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

...and it had nothing to do with " the pressures of his management" (a popular myth).

The Beave and dryjoy like this.
  10. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

The annoying thing about the Stockholm 1/9/69 first show is that dumb MC comes out after Sunshine Of Your Love and announces the show is over, then backtracks...by then Jimi was "f*** this" and motions Mitch and Noel off the stage....who know what he would have played next! Thanks, MC.

jhm and EVOLVIST like this.
  11. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Well, a handful of songs has been released officially over the years. The show itself is not awful, but it's definitely not one of Jimi's best.

12. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Video of Message To Love, Lover Man, All Along The Watchtower, Purple Haze and Voodoo Child appears on the semi-recent Hear My Music Talking. The footage is fairly dark, not sure why it could not be lightened in this technological age.

13. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Maybe not pressures of management, but Jimi (and other artists of the 1960s/1970s) were on the "album a year" program. That said, Hendrix was a workaholic, hence all the material he produced in four years. "Why I work so hard I wish I knew," he said before the Berlin gig in 1970.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, as you say, an album (or two!) a year plus chart friendly singles had to be delivered but Jimi evidently relished the challenge and totally delivered in 67/68. All that block-booking touring was also a thing of the day and not unique to the JHE at all. However, Chas said in a filmed interview (on the Electric Ladyland Making-of), he was doing exactly what he loved. After gigs he was looking for a place to jam and record what went down and this was at his own initiative and nothing to do with a manager who worked him into the ground, as is widely thought. Look at what happened in 1969, just a brief European tour and later in the year an equally brief American one, then after the break-up, hardly any gigs until a relaxed 1970 tour schedule (gigs at the weekend in agreement with Jeffrey). If Jimi looked fed-up or tired on stage, it had more to do with equipment trouble, substance trouble, girl trouble,...

timeline

DTK and Mark7 like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Stockholm '69 is just horrible. I hope it doesn't get a mainstream release. It's unclear what happened but Jimi was very unhappy that day. Perhaps just tour nerves and no drugs. But it's on YouTube and that's enough.

weavzy likes this.
  16. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Well stated. A good timeline too, that's nice. The 1970 pace was a good one for him. I can see playing the IOW as a big pay day, but why not just go back home after that and finish the LP? If he needed more dates (money) he could have played the cities he missed or had to cancel in the Midwest/East: Pittsburgh, Chicago, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit, Kansas City, etc. I guess he wanted to see Europe again? But by the time those dates rolled around he ended up in a bad frame of mind, then Billy broke down, etc....

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Word has it that Jimi didn't want to do that European tour and you're right, it was a bad idea to have Jimi take off and do a Europe tour when the fourth album was nearing completion. He and Jeffrey needed money for the new studio of course but it surely would've been better to stay closer to home. :cry:

adam_777, Mark7 and DTK like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Perhaps both Jimi and Jeffery feared that they were losing the European market. I think so.

adam_777, Purple Jim and Mark7 like this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

That's the first set. The TV crew packed up and split after it. Noel scored in the intermission and the second set was a lot better!

SG47, jhm and DTK like this.
  20. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I couldnt agree more about the first set. Its a dog of a show. But i love the second set. Theres sone real fuzzed out wildness about it. I know tgeres no footage. But the 2nd show woukf be a great RSD release. They've released Clark University, Cologne and the ELL live set. Give us show two of Stockholm!

jhm, Purple Jim and DTK like this.
  21. davies54

davies54 Forum Resident

While I agree that the videoed 1st set isn't Jimi at his best, they could do a Dagger Blu-ray/D.V.D. release of this for those fans who want it.

adam_777 and Mark7 like this.
  22. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident Thread Starter

An interesting notion. Dagger has always been audio only, but there is a collection of Hendrix related footage that is interesting but probably not good enough for release as a standalone or is too fragmentary for one. Perhaps a Dagger DVD could be put into play as a retrospective anthology to serve as a catch all for some of this footage.

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

That Stockholm show should not be released officially and promoted, too much negativity and showing Jimi in a bad light, not everything he ever did needs to be out there, those who want to see it can seek it out where it is now, that's enough.

smoke likes this.
  24. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

JHE '69 shows would be best. LA, San Diego or others. Or maybe all the Winterland gigs 10/68 in a big box set.

J_D__, footlooseman and Hep Alien like this.
  25. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

The Stockholm 69 1st set might not be Hendrix’s best, but it sure shows Mitch Mitchell’s talent. That drum solo in Voodoo Child is insanely great!

Mark7 and footlooseman like this.