2021 marks 50 years of ELO (Electric Light Orchestra)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TrekkiELO, Feb 23, 2021.

1. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident Thread Starter

Me too, same here, I'm not among the so-called "many" either, my sweet spot is The Classic Albums Collection by Electric Light Orchestra from 1972-1986!

Jeff Lynne also got the idea from his hero Roy Orbison who did it back in 1986-1987, but under different circumstances.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams: The Greatest Hits

In Dreams: The Greatest Hits - Wikipedia

In January 1986, Roy Orbison re-recorded 19 of his greatest hits as a gift to his fans. The master tapes of the original recordings were being legally held by Monument Records after the label went bankrupt in the late 1970s. Many of Orbison’s famous songs were not available to consumers for a few years and there was a threat to destroy the tapes if disputes were not resolved. Fearing his famous songs would be lost forever, Orbison stepped into the studio and performed them once again. According to the authorised biography of Roy Orbison, these recordings were first released on the Silver Eagle LP The Great Roy Orbison, and then given to Virgin Records becoming Orbison's first release with his new label, In Dreams: The Greatest Hits, in 1987.

Fortunately, all of Orbison's Monument master recordings were not destroyed, and like the rest of the Monument catalogue, they are presently owned by Sony Music Entertainment.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, and anyone interested in the Brooklyn Bridge for a good price should contact me off line.

Orbison wanted to generate some cash by re-recording his Monument material for use for a TV-promoted mail order set, at a time just before the original Momument tracks came back into print. Basically, a cash grab, selling sound-alikes to customers who either didn't know the difference or else to those duped by the commercials which made no note of them being re-recordings.

Then Virgin licensed the material when he signed with them.

In no universe was Monument ever going to destroy the tapes. "Let me take my most valuable asset and burn it out of spite."

3. TrekkiELO

Wikipedia strikes again, it's indeed a similar situation, I'm right about that more than likely being where Jeff Lynne got his idea to re-record ELO songs 25 years later in 2012!

PS-My Dad had those Roy Orbison re-recordings on an audio cassette of its compilation and even I could tell the difference back then.

FunkFather and Basso Profondo like this.
  4. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

But, but Taylor Swift rerecording her albums because she doesn't own the masters is cool, right?

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. TrekkiELO

Like you'd said regarding Billy Joel, who cares about Taylor Swift? I sure don't as I'm no fan, so let her fans decide whether it is or not!

6. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

Don't have to be fan but she did say it right, "haters gonna hate"

7. Zerox

Zerox Forum Resident

What Roy and Jeff did with the songs they wrote is up to them. What we do when given the chance to buy them is up to us.

He may well have done it for the money but unless Jeff's re-recorded hits album becomes as cheap as the many other ELO compilations out there, I doubt it will become the grab-and-go option for the casual purchaser and anyone going deeper into the band will buy the (as yet un-re-recorded) original albums.

8. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

A Jeff Lynne / Taylor Swift track with dual vocals would be something to behold! THAT would be an interesting 50th Anniversary gift. :)

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'd rather get socks.

10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I really like the Roy Orbison re-records. The originals are of course great.
    I really like the Jeff Lynne re-records. The originals are of course great.

11. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

I'd rather they polish and release those two Wood/Lynne tracks. What I heard as unfinished boots were pretty nice. A finished track version of those two would be great.

12. The Starclipse

The Starclipse Forum Resident

"Me & You" Is One Of The Best Songs I've ever heard

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  13. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

What would every one think of a Jeff Lynne - Lady Gaga track? Lots of buzz, PR, and perhaps Jeff's first US #1 single! That would be a trip!

14. Those tracks were completed - it's just that even the highest quality copies presently circulating are several generations removed from what an official release might have offered, and we came so close to exactly that happening around 2009 when Roy blocked them from appearing on a career-spanning 2CD set intended to also introduce a few other rarities along with the usual hits, album cuts and some live recordings. Alas, his work doesn't appear to be held in the same regard as that of ELO, so there's unlikely to be any real attempt at sourcing anything better, restoring such upgrades then sharing these. However, I always try to remain hopeful. You never know what collectors might be sitting on...

15. Donald Wilkie

Donald Wilkie Well-Known Member

No Jeff Lynne and Lady Gag-me. Maybe Jeff and Tony Bennett do the hits of the Move.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  16. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Speaking of Roy Wood, can anyone explain to me what is the deal with him? I don't mean the face paint. I mean his current career, and whether there is any new albums coming out from him. I know his Christmas song, but it seems that he hasn't released an album of new material in at least a decade. He shows up in the press occasionally, and maybe he has lost the passion to release new material. Just thought I'd ask.

17. TrekkiELO

When I was a boy I had a dream about an Electric Light Orchestra Time 2 LP 40th Anniversary Legacy Edition!

Tomorrow is the 6th anniversary of "When I Was A Boy"! Make sure to give this one a listen this weekend. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  18. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Reinhold Mack reflecting on Jeff Lynne:

Working with Electric Light Orchestra
    As well as his work for Queen, Mack also produced some of the best-selling albums of the 20th century with Electric Light Orchestra. “That was entirely different from my time with Queen,” says Mack. “With ELO founder Jeff Lynne, it was just work, work, work, work. All the time. From 11am to one in the morning. He had a very British personality, that thing where the person you think you know when you come in to work doesn’t even acknowledge you are here and was miserable. By midnight, after many pints of beer, he will be sitting on your lap and telling you how brilliant you are. The next day, same thing. Grumpy old man comes in and, after a day of work and pints, Jeff is on your lap again.”

19. TrekkiELO

“He Was Music”: Reinhold Mack On Working With Freddie Mercury

ELO Discovery

Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out Of Nowhere

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...inally-intended.417021/page-197#post-22734172

20. Roy hasn't released an album of all-new studio material since Starting Up all the way back in 1987, though we did finally get the long-lost third Wizzard album in 2000, which surfaced under the new title of Main Street (it was originally to have been called simply Wizzo). Beyond that, I've lost count of how many times he'll announce plans to include material from the vaults on compilations, only to then approve such packages with all the more interesting content absent. There are stories of him staying up for days working on various ideas, but his problem is getting these to a stage where any label will commit, as he often switches track and shelves them, constantly in a state of moving on. That covers project he started promoting a few years ago was the closest yet to a tangible product, and outside further rehashes of that festive single, he's been far too quiet.

On a related note, I recently got to hear three outtakes from an early acetate for On The Road Again that haven't turned up anywhere else. One of these is an extended mix of a song that made it to the final running order, but the other two are completely undocumented and definitely not circulating. They were incredible!

P.S. Even though I've hit the pause button on my book for now, I remain enthusiastic for all things ELO, which extends to me also researching two unreleased albums from the early-to-mid 1970s that were fully recorded and mixed, yet cut off at the last minute by the disinterest of Jet Records head Don Arden. Loving these guys can be such an exercise in frustration...

21. bluedemon25

I never heard of those unreleased albums. Could you please tell us anything about them? Was any of the material appearing in later albums or all entirely unreleased?

Retropsych likes this.
  22. Retropsych

Retropsych Excessive Lynne Orchestrations

I'd also like to know.

It's possible one of these two lost albums is (appropriately) named "The Lost Planet".

A second bonus disc on a remaster of the ELO2 album was called The Lost Planet, and with thr liner notes referring to an aborted album as such. But from what I can ascertain, the there was little truly new on the disc, mainly 3 tracks (all worth having) with lead vocals by Carl Wayne, of which one was a track previously release with Jeff on lead vocals, plus some slightly alternative versions of existing tracks.

And to pad things out, also regrettably included were another 2 versions of bloody Roll Over Beethoven :realmad:, and a track that like Hold On Tight and Rocknroll Is Krap I never ever want to hear again.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Timjosephuk and bluedemon25 like this.
  23. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I thought 'The Lost Planet' was just ELO II's original title. I'm interested in the movie they made back then, the sci fi one.

24. Retropsych

Retropsych Excessive Lynne Orchestrations

Don't worry. ShardEnder will no doubt provide resolution on this subject.:D

bluedemon25 likes this.
  25. bluedemon25

With you there on not needing to hear ROB again.

What I do need is an album of songs like Jungle. It's so silly but fun.

Retropsych likes this.