2021 Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KJTC, Feb 10, 2021.

1. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Let's nominate Stockhausen

2. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I've always considered the 'selection process' ludicrous; many of the most significant people historically are "minor" "obscure," or "unknown" to great numbers of the public these days, which in NO way diminishes their contributions.
    I can only wonder how many of the hundreds of singing electric guitarists of the 1930s-1940s who recorded are included, for just one group of those unrepresented there.

MikaelaArsenault and DME1061 like this.
  3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Is fan voting open?

4. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident Thread Starter

yes, see link in original post.

MikaelaArsenault, ARK and linklinc like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Tina has had a mix of health issues in recent years, so I doubt she'd perform.

It'd be great if she's recovered enough to do so - if there's even any kind of show - but I wouldn't count on it...

MikaelaArsenault, BeatleJWOL and KJTC like this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

If groups like Oasis/Smiths/New Order/Kraftwerk are intentionally not nominated because band members won't play nice with the RRHOF, then why is Kate Bush nominated? Noel Gallagher admitted to a backstage visit by RRHOF to gauge his interest level and Noel shrugged him off.

She won't work in the US, likely won't send any new performance/speech, may block use of music videos and I don't know who would induct/perform in her place. Best case scenario she shares a video song from the WTD encore 4k concert video shoot, but it won't happen. Elton or Gilmour MIGHT do an induction, doubt Peter Gabriel would.

Kate should be an easy induction, but her attitude on her legacy is an issue. She did show up for a Q awards thing, but that's just leaving her house for a couple hours.

MikaelaArsenault and KJTC like this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think the Go Go's are there only based on desire to recognize the first all female band (not just vocal groups) to score a hit.

Their music was not real innovative or influential and they really only have 3 widely remembered songs.

8. ILovethebassclarinet

"Who do I want to get in?"
    All of the deserving people that will never get in because 'they were too long ago for most people to have a clue who they were and why they are still relevant.'
    While I haven't typed up a list, I've little doubt that there are way more than 338 un-inducted members that should have been "installed" at its inception.
    Inductees A to Z | Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
    Billy Wright, S. Q. Reeder, Jackie Brenston, Big Maybelle Smith, Gatemouth Brown, M. T. Murphy, Floyd Murphy, Pat Hare, Mickey Baker; David Geffen and NOT Mickey Baker?

9. readr

readr Forum Resident

It’s time to get going on the 90’s rock bands....
    Foo Fighters
    Weezer
    STP
    Alice In Chains
    Soundgarden
    Dave Matthews Band
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Rage Against The Machine
    Hole

10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Steve Litos likes this.
  11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

King's X, Fishbone...

12. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Tried to vote already, but had problems at their end. I'll do it later.

My choices are all women - The Go-Go's, Carole King, Tina Turner, and Dionne Warwick.

13. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

Rage Against the Machine and Iron Maiden definitely deserve to be in the RRHOF.

14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Because getting into the R&RHOF because you're a woman is laudable. ?
    One day it's "gender doesn't matter." Next day it's "you're whatever gender you wanna be." Next day it's "pick all women!"

15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No, no, no, and yes

The gender imbalance is real, it sucks, and it does harm, so redressing it is urgent

Even without it though, all the women on this ballot would still deserve to be in

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

How is Iron Maiden not in already? o_O
    I guess they are too R&R for the HOF...

The omission of Jethro Tull continues to frustrate... though at this point it’s rather meaningless I suppose...

17. ILovethebassclarinet

I'd say that it all became pretty meaningless within a couple of years, when it comes to 'recognizing the history.'

Purple, MikaelaArsenault and lucan_g like this.
  18. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Until Zevon is in, they can shove it up their ass sideways.

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You know, I assumed Kate Bush was already in!

She definitely should be.

Tina Turner too. If only for pulling off the greatest comeback in rock history in 1984!

rfkavanagh, Sean, KJTC and 2 others like this.
  20. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

No. But if they had said that they were inducting him for his jazz fusion period, I could accept that. I even assumed at the time that that was why he was being inducted. Then I read their write-up on him on the rock hall website, and it began with the words, "Miles Davis never played rock 'n' roll." They appear to have changed his write-up since then, but it still makes no sense to me to induct someone as a performer into the rock 'n' roll hall of fame when that someone never performed rock 'n' roll. If he's getting in for influencing rock 'n' roll, then he should be inducted as an influencer.

MikaelaArsenault and Big Blue like this.
  21. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I see no point in nominating Dave Matthews. They won the fan vote last year and didn't get in. There previously had been a practice of inducting every band who won the fan vote, no matter how terrible, cheesey, or irrelevant that they were. If they still couldn't get it in despite winning the fan vote, just leave them off entirely and give someone else a shot.

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

So, the nominating committee thinks they can neutralize me by nominating both Kate Bush and Todd Rundgren, drawing me into a war on two fronts? I tell you sir, they have definitely underestimated me!

23. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

It does to me. Ludwig Van Beethoven is another guy who never played rock 'n' roll, yet had an undeniable impact on those who did. That's exactly what the rock hall's own website said about Miles Davis when he was inducted.

24. ILovethebassclarinet

And isn't Tina's role in "influencing" Janis Joplin important enough to recognize her?
    /s

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If I restrict to 5, I'd go with:

-Jay-Z
    -Go-go's
    -Foos
    -Tina
    -Iron Maiden