2021 Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KJTC, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

It was never a practice. It was a coincidence. The fan vote equals one vote in the total.

2. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I wonder if the Musicians of Joujuka will eventually get a shot, being "the world's oldest rock and roll band," after all.
    The Master Musicians of Joujouka Remember Brian Jones 50 Years Gone Today – The Master Musicians of Joujouka

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

My picks, for what they're worth:

Iron Maiden
    New York Dolls
    LL Cool J
    Kate Bush
    The Go-Go's

MikaelaArsenault and KJTC like this.
  4. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i totally agree with that, except for Hole, otherwise, a big YES to that list !!

5. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Instead of dealing with the tiresome annual arguments about who gets in and who keeps being left out, why don’t they finally expand the number of inductees allowed per year? What is stopping them from amending it?

6. miller_time22

miller_time22 Forum Resident

Right on. I’d include Oasis in the mix also.

7. ILovethebassclarinet

And why haven't 'actual experts in the topic' been chosen to designate 'a large core group of historically necessary people for it to have come into existence?' 'History written by a committee whose primary concern is to mass appeal' hardly qualifies as "history."

8. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

just voted for:

Foo Fighters - Love them and they totally deserve it for all the great music over the years. Too many haters and i don't get it. And 5 of the current 6 members should be what is included, not that Rami Jaffee keyboard player guy.
    Iron Maiden - I mean, it's Iron Maiden....one of the best metal bands of all time, and all members that were on any album should be inducted!!
    LL Cool J - I don't agree at all with non Rock artists being in the ROCK N ROLL Hall of Fame, but since it's already been ruined by letting in TONS of not Rock
    artists, well then he deserves to be in there too, for decades of well known hip hop & rap hits.

the rest of the artists i either, don't know, or don't like their music, so they have no effect on me whatsoever. Or because they don't have enough "truly great" music to be in there.

NY Dolls have two great albums, after that, not so much....
    DEVO.....ummm no
    Rage Against the Machine....3 studio albums and 1 covers album and haven't done anything new since 20 years now....

MikaelaArsenault and coffeetime like this.
  9. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Since nobody asked my opinion, I'll offer it up anyway :) Here's who I voted for

Todd Rundgren
    The Go-Go's
    Carole King
    Devo
    Iron Maiden

I don't love King or IM, but I certainly respect what they've brought to the table.

Guy Smiley and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Don't know if anybody else has said it because I really don't have time to look but this should have been placed as a poll with five choices.

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Are you forgetting that in 2014 Kate Bush returned to the stage after a 35-year absence to absolutely rave reviews, a 22-date artist residency that sold out all dates in 15 minutes?

She doesn't like flying, but she does when she needs to (Vickie and me met her plane when she came to New York to promote Hounds of Love.)

Zep Fan and KJTC like this.
  12. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

My psychic friend told me that Dionne Warwick is not making it this year.

13. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Voting is down right now, but I think my final five will be...

1. Kate Bush
    2. Jay-Z
    3. Tina Turner
    4. Mary J. Blige
    5. Dionne Warwick

14. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

and Pavement and My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth and The Pixies.

miller_time22 and tombayz like this.
  15. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I didn’t mention The Go-Go’s earlier, but probably should’ve. Some big hits, a successful run for a few years, and influence as an all-female band that did (AFAIK) all their own writing and playing.

More commercial success than, say, The Runaways, and paved the way for other female rockers and sunshiny-retro pop/rock bands. The Bangles, for one. Gotta give them a vote too, if I had one.

Warwick, I feel, is easy to overlook. Then there’s the whole “Is she rock?” debate. But she had tremendous pop success with Bacharach, enduring songs she sang, and longevity as a recording artist. Women have been shafted by the Hall in general, so I think her case is a good one too. I can think of other women I’d put in before her, but a good case anyhow.

16. KJTC

Her impact as a live performer is remarkable, given she only did one tour and one residency. But that one tour in 1979 set the template for theatrical pop shows moving forward.

17. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I bet your psychic friend still calls 976 numbers..:p;)

Zep Fan and ARK like this.
  18. KJTC

Bangles are very deserving. It’s amazing how even the female artists who fit the stereotypical rock mold don’t get in. The gender bias is a serious issue that needs to be rectified. This ballot is great, but could still result in the five inductees being all male in the end. We will see.

joy stinson, Guy Smiley, Sean and 2 others like this.
  19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Warwick is a Queen of the rock/pop era especially for singles — she had FIFTY SIX Billboard Hot 100 hits in that period

Induct her now while she is alive to see it!!!!!!

arem, Two Sheds, Guy Smiley and 3 others like this.
  20. ILovethebassclarinet

"Theatrical pop" is "rock and roll?"
    I like Dionne's records just fine, but I'd say that "theatrical pop" is a more accurate 'label.'

21. KJTC

Yes. Next question?

aphexj and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. KJTC

Yes! She’d fit in perfectly alongside Bobby Darin and Dusty Springfield.

23. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Steve Litos, mbd40, ARK and 2 others like this.
  24. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

My picks for induction
    Kate Bush(My Number 2 snub:pineapple:)
    Iron Maiden(Metal!:pineapple:)
    LL Cool J
    Todd Rundgren
    Chaka Khan

Snubs
    Soundgarden(My number 1 snub)
    Foreigner
    Boston(My number infinite snub. So big that I don't even include them on the normal list.)
    REO Speedwagon
    Dave Matthews Band(Don't like them but winning the fan vote should guarantee a place)
    Pat Benatar

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That’s just it. I think it has been long clear the “Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame” is not specific to rock’n’roll. To assert that every artist on this list is part of “rock’n’roll” is to redefine that term to just mean any popular music. Which is fine, they’ve been approaching it this way for years. Let’s just accept this is a pop music hall of fame.