2023 and still not on Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 4, 2023.

1. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Something funny - the sequel to Stakeout has been available on blu-ray for awhile now. The original never has been.

TMRY likes this.
  2. SmallDarkCloud

I use VPNs, but the copy I had bookmarked on my YouTube account has been deleted. It was viewable in the US when it was still there.

However, there's been talk in horror fandom that one of the specialty video companies is close to finalizing a blu-ray release. Hopefully, it's true.

mbd40 likes this.
  3. user931

user931 Well-Known Member

I don't think I ever used Blue Ray once.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

anyone know why they released the sequel;
    The War Of The Colossal Beast on Blu-ray
    and not The Amazing Colossal Man?

longdist01 likes this.
  5. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

What a disappointing sequel. Madeline Stowe literally phoned this one in.

6. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

"The Three Lives of Thomasina"

480p 1.66:1 is the best available. DVD only, no streaming. Transfer is very good, but deserves better IMO.

Boom Operator likes this.
  7. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

[​IMG]

64FALCON and Michael like this.
  8. Looking For Today

Looking For Today The Crowded Future Stings My Eyes

L'Amour fou
    The Quiet Room
    Mr Perrin And Mr Traill
    Wind Across The Everglades
    Petulia
    A Touch Of Larceny

9. Ben-Hur (1925) ~ It's still one of the greatest Hollywood epics not on Blu-ray. What's more, although the DVD is like maybe 3/10 for PQ (gross), you can tell that the restoration underneath (done by Photoplay) is top-flight, through and through. Photoplay does not screw around. If this was in 1080p it might be one of the best silent pictures on the market.

unclefred likes this.
  10. Michael

good news it's on this huge beautiful Ben Hur BD Box Set! and CHEAP.
    Ben-Hur Blu-ray (Ultimate Collector's Edition)

unclefred, audiomixer and longdist01 like this.
  11. Michael

what a drag...we loved it on Netflix... I was sure we'd get a BD?

longdist01 likes this.
  12. Michael

I love that cover...you can feel the chill of the day and hear such great songs...a win -win.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. It's physically on a Blu-ray disc, but it's still standard definition, 480i/480p. Gotta read the fine print. It's no different from the 2008 DVD set. :)

:shrug:

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

I don't need to...the 1925 version in the BD box works for me. : ) thanks...

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. Cool. I'm just saying that Ben-Hur (1925) is still not on Blu-ray in 2023, meaning in 1080p, 2K High Definition Blu-ray, which this thread heavily implies.

Obviously, if we take the source restoration by Photoplay from 2008, which I believe was done in 2K, and play it in 2K 1080p, that's preferable and more faithful to film reproduction, even if you dig the 480i DVD. That's what this thread is about, right?

The hope among restoration-heads like me is that we won't get the 1925 Ben-Hur in 1080p until the 4K set of Ben-Hur (1959), just like they did with The Ten Commandments (1956) when they included the 1923 version in 1080p, on the 2 disc set.

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

you got it...that's what I intended when I started this thread...I appreciate all the comments and additions. This is great! I don't dig a DVD as well...I most always prefer a BD. Hope you get your want.: )

longdist01 and EVOLVIST like this.
  17. This show never made it to DVD. In fact I don’t think it even made it to VHS. So I can’t remotely imagine it will ever be on Blu-ray - A Man Called Sloane.

A Man Called Sloane (TV Series 1979–1980) - IMDb

Kind of a James Bond-ish spy show starring Robert Conrad. Remember watching it as a kid and enjoyed it, doubt it would hold up well today but who knows.

18. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I have the Australian Blu-Ray of this, released by a label called Imprint - check eBay for this title, as there are quite a few for sale as of this writing.

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

thanks! I'll look for it.

aussievinyl likes this.
  20. Michael

IDIOCRACY

unclefred and Jimmy B. like this.
  21. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Three '1981-release' comedy movies which, to date, have not been issued legally on a digital homevideo medium; VHS only. moviesmore movies

CHU CHU AND THE PHILLY FLASH (1981) was issued in 1982 on '20th Century Fox Video' in a sliding drawer box. Then it was issued again in 1983 in a sliding-drawer box on 'CBS/Fox Video'. OOP since '83. No DVD or Blu-Ray.

NOBODY'S PERFEKT (1981) I have the 1982-issue VHS release and it was later made available on a DVD-R from Sony/'Columbia Collection'. No Blu-Ray, though.

ON THE RIGHT TRACK (1981) was issued in 1982 on VHS by '20th Century Fox Video'. No DVD or Blu-Ray.

-------------------------------------

WHY WOULD I LIE? (1980-Comedy). A 'comedy' about deceit! Sorta . . . This film was issued by MGM on VHS in England. I don't know if it's been re-released since? Never on VHS in the U.S., btw. May not even be on DVD -- much less Blu-Ray. Treat Williams, Lisa Eichhorn, Susan Heldfond, Jocelyn Brando star.

The 1986 movie OFF BEAT might have been mentioned earlier in this thread; it had a VHS release + it was released on DVD in England [there's a picture of the UK disc on Amazon] but no 'Blu', to date.

22. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Scraping the bottom of the 1980s 'WEEKEND' barrel with this post!

OCEAN DRIVE WEEKEND (1985) This was released on Vestron Video (I have a copy), but I don't believe it's ever been put to DVD or Blu-Ray.

LAS VEGAS WEEKEND (1985) Released on New World Video (I have one of these), but I've not seen a digital disc release.

WEEKEND PASS (1984) Issued by 'Lightning Video' and then released on DVD (there's a snap of the DVD cover on the IMDb. Nice job spelling actor Chip McAllister's name wrong [Chip McAllistar]). No Blu-Ray, tho, to my knowledge.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    Mooglander likes this.
  23. SmallDarkCloud

Phil Hartman is in this one, pre-Saturday Night Live.

Mooglander and 64FALCON like this.
  24. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Catch-22
    Carnal Knowledge
    Hud
    The Defiant Ones (in the US)
    Sons & Lovers
    A Hatful of Rain
    The Great Man (1957)
    Save the Children (1972 concert film with numerous R&B acts)
    Soul to Soul (another concert film with many R&B performers)
    Splendor in the Grass
    America America
    Bring Out the Dead
    California Split

Jimmy B., 64FALCON and unclefred like this.
  25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Looking For Mr. Goodbar.

Mooglander and jjhunsecker like this.