21st Century Paul McCartney Singles: His Best Work?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

Much of that had to do with the fact that Paul still had the vocal range of his Beatles years. The songs are so much more melodic, and polished - produced. You’ve got to sing in your own range, and Paul had a range like no other in the sixties - seventies . He also had an amazing ear for harmony, either singing to his own lead vocal or with John, and George . Freddy Mercury is the only vocalist that had what Paul had, but Paul also had a huge oeuvre of original material that was heaven sent .

2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

That was the Test Pressing in my crate. Useless 45.

[​IMG]

3. Usagi75

Usagi75 Forum Resident

Nice to see the love for "(I Want To) Come Home". What a great song most people don't know about!

"Only Our Hearts" from Kisses On The Bottom is another one most people missed. Great original with Stevie Wonder on harmonica!

Agree with the OP that McCartney's 21st Century singles are great work! Don't know if they are better than 80s and 90s singles though because I love all McCartney's singles!

Bilbo Swaggins, Sean, theMess and 3 others like this.
  4. Rapol93

Rapol93 Well-Known Member

I believe III is a decent album overall. Cannot understand why "Seize the day" was not the main single. Such a beautiful and Beatlesque one, among his bests works in the 21st cent.

tug_of_war, davenav, Sean and 3 others like this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

That's cool, there's enough McCartney out there for everyone. I personally don't want McCartney to be Beatlesque, I want to hear Paul McCartney music, even if I may not like it I still want McCartney to do his own thing.
    Absolutely nothing useless about My Valentine TO ME. A classic romantic McCartney ballad.

utopiarun, Rocco, tug_of_war and 2 others like this.
  6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

It is a great song but it also feels like a rehash of "Do It Now" to me in spirit.

For an objective observation, it doesn't contain the hooks needed for an effective single. I personally don't see anything else besides "Find A Way" providing the obvious single sound compared to the other tracks on McIII.

That doesn't mean "Seize The Day" isn't a fine song. It is astounding how many fine album tracks Paul has.

Rapol93 likes this.
  7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would have loved for Paul to have released it as a single and produced a video for it - it definitely deserved it, such a catchy and well constructed Beatlesque song (I also enjoy the Phoebe Bridgers cover).

Rocco likes this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Beautiful song, maybe his best of this century

9. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

As much as I love those songs (throw in 'New' and 'My Valentine', too), I don't think they're at the same level as his best singles from earlier decades. His writing from 1970-97 was stronger, in my book.

10. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I'd go with:
    Fine Line
    Ever Present Past
    Dance Tonight
    New
    I Don't Know

I easily can find 5 better singles from the 70's:
    Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    Live And Let Die
    Band On The Run
    Jet
    Junior's Farm

In the 80's I'd give a slight edge over the 2000's singles to:
    Coming Up
    Ebony And Ivory
    Take It Away
    My Brave Face
    This One

From the 90's only Hope Of Deliverance and Young Boy would compete with the top 2000's songs though

RickH likes this.
  11. Correct answer.

wino14 likes this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Totally agree, when I got New and heard Alligator for the first time I was blown away by how great it is. I feel the same way about this one...

TO ME, ALLIGATOR and I CAN BET are stronger than songs like PENNY LANE and ANOTHER DAY. They are both very pleasant songs but to my ears, the two from NEW are much better!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    Col likes this.
  13. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

No offense, but that reads like a ton smoke blowing up Paul's buttocks. 'Fine Line' is an alright song though, but nothing extraordinary especially for a single.

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

People differ, tastes differ, and listening experiences differ.
    So I don't think it's smoke blown up anyone's buttocks for a person to state how a song sounds TO THEM!

theMess and omikron like this.
  15. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I agree that Paul has done some of his best work in the 2000s (despite the acknowledged vocal limitations). But I don't think the singles are his best work, though many of them are good (and in many cases were logical choices for singles). But I don't think any of his singles since 2000 are as good as:

Too Much Rain
    Riding to Vanity Fair
    Mr. Bellamy
    Only Mama Knows
    You Tell Me
    Dominoes
    Do It Now
    Hand in Hand

And I'm probably missing a couple.

Col and Hep Alien like this.
  16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

TO ME McCartney many times has just released the wrong song as a single.
    See Your Sunshine
    That Was Me
    Your Loving Flame
    This Loving Game
    I Can Bet
    Appreciate
    This Never Happened Before
    Alligator
    Nothing For Free
    TO ME are some of McCartney's best and as good as the songs on the list and all should have been singles.

51IS likes this.
  17. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I think the MACCA comtemporary singles are a close 2nd to his classic 70’s work. But, his voice back then was such a beautiful instrument, the songs went to unbelievable places. And, Denny & Linda contributed a lot - both are underrated - especially as part of the 3 part harmonies with Paul. For example on Silly Love Songs.

His contemporary output addresses growing up and challenges with dealing with love, life and growing old. He actually has done that all if his career, but the impact is much less coming from his pure youthful voice.

Im really glad we have both these generations of songs to enjoy.

As a side note, many of my favorite contemporary songs, Macca is on drums. I always loved “I Dont Know”, but it wasn’t until this year, I noticed how much I like the drums on this track - and of course then realized its Paul on drums!

theMess, Hep Alien and omikron like this.
  18. UnderTheFloorboards'66

The thread asked for an opinion, so I gave an opinion. I would've said something similar had he been heaping praise on food from McDonald's or something like that too. There's no problem liking McCartney, but some posts read like people trying really hard to convince themselves and others that his later music is really great or something when we all know it isn't that spectacular.

UHLawdog and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

We don't all know anything, your opinion is your own but it is subjective, not fact. Stop trying to insinuate that other people don't genuinely love his recent solo works.

20. UnderTheFloorboards'66

This thread is filled with personal opinion framed as fact though. I'm just offering a different opinion. Any issues you have with my comment are simply because you felt offended.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The issue isn't that people are giving their opinions, it is that you claimed that they were not honest and tried to speak as though your opinion meant more. I am not offended, I am simply calling out your small minded arrogance, which borders on threadcrapping.

Share your opinion by all means, but don't insinuate others are lying and then there is no problem. :righton:

omikron and maccafan like this.
  22. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

What makes Jenny Wren a better song than Pretty Boys?

23. 51IS

51IS Forum Resident

The singing, in my opinion. It’s not perfect on Jenny Wren but it’s a lot better than some that came later. Maybe Jenny Wren also has lyrics that are a little more relatable to more people. And it fits well into the group of Paul’s many bird themed songs.

I think these singles are terrific -

Fine Line
    My Valentine
    Queenie Eye
    Find My Way
    Sing the Changes
    Jenny Wren
    Women and Wives

Maybe not terrific but very enjoyable - Come On To Me, From a Lover to a Friend

My picks for ones that should have been singles if they weren’t - Only Mama Knows, Who Cares, Appreciate, Alligator.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    Hep Alien likes this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The one he did for the video game but I prefer the "Thrash" mix.

25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

See it's totally your opinion that McCartney's later music isn't really great, and you're entitled to have that opinion. I'm also entitled to have the opinion that I THINK plenty and I do mean plenty of McCartney's later music is ABSOLUTELY GREAT, in fact I think some of it is the best music of McCartney's entire career!
    When I listen to it I don't have to try hard at all to convince myself that some of it is great because TO ME it is.

51IS likes this.