2m Black Cartridge alignment issues

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Petie53, Sep 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petie53

Petie53 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok I have been fighting this for a while. Technics SL1210GAE with an Ortofon 2m Black cartridge on supplied Technics headshell. I am getting raspy higher frequency noise most noticeably on inner tracks. I am sure it is my fault somehow. I tried the Mint LP alignment gizmo but the stylus tip is tucked so far under and the cartridge body rides so low that I just can’t get a clear view of the tip position. It is aligned fine using the Technics alignment device. Arm is horizontal it appears.
    So is it something simple to fix?
    Should I send the headshell it to some expert to align and if so who? Purchased from Value Electronics.
    Expensive turntable and cartridge and would love to get it right.
    Thanks for any ideas! Pete

2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

From what I have read, the 2M black is sensitive to stylus rake angle (tonearm tail up, tail down, or parallel to the platter) . Have you looked at your VTA?

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  3. Petie53

I have it set as level as I can get it. Set at 2 as I have a mat on the platter.

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the dial is not accurate
    use a small round level and place it on the top of the stock hesdshell.
    set VTF to adjust for the weight of the level
    lower the stylus to a stopped record.
    adjust VTA dial until level.
    if you cannot lower it enough you need a thicker mat, e.g. herbies 4mm

teag likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

You are hearing this on records that are known to be good, such as new records that couldn't have been damaged by previous owners? I'd inspect the stylus too with some good magnification, make sure it looks OK, stylus assemblies can be bad, especially in modern times. It shouldn't be that hard to get it to sound good, especially using the simple Technics overhang gauge, and aligning cartridge body in the headshell.

Leonthepro likes this.
  6. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Referencing the manual - SL-1200GAE-EG_SQT1086-1.pdf (panasonic.com):

1st - check that the platter is level (page 15). If you are using a circular bubble-level such as Starrett Circular Bubble Level : STARRETT CIRCULAR BUBBLE LEVEL | Brownells check it at four points ~90deg apart. This is very important - the platter needs to be very flat for best results.

2nd - recheck that the VTF (stylus pressure) is set correctly (Page 16) - if not already set, increase the VTF to the higher end of the allowable for the 2M Black (1.4-1.7g).

3rd - recheck that the anti-skate is set to the VTF (Page 17).

4th - If you have the tonearm height VTA (Page 18) set at 2 - consider reducing to level 1. This will drop the tail which tends to reduce sibilance.

Good Luck,

jesterthejedi and Glmoneydawg like this.
  7. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Imho a little tail down is best for the black

8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Move the turntable to a well lit location. It also helps to have the working surface elevated. Did you buy the jeweler's loupe? Use 5x or 6x. Anything more tends to not work because you're restricted by the focal length.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

IME my phone's camera display works better than a loupe. I zoom in all the way (8x). You may have to experiment with lighting and angles to get the right image.

10. Petie53

Thanks all.
    Yes the platter is level in all rotation positions.
    Tracking at 1.4 grams. Will try increasing it. Anti skate set the same.
    Yep new records doing this. New master pressings of Led Zeppelin.

When I tried to set it up with the MintLP I had the turntable elevated to eye level, 3 side lights and lots of overhead lights. Trying the camera phone is a great idea to try. I have 3 loupes, the included large x5, small x10, small x12 but was unable to position any properly - probably due to me wearing bifocals.

I have a mini bubble level that I just bought. Not really sure it is very accurate.
    I know the Shibata tip is sensitive to positioning. With the rotational slop in the headshell when attaching to the arm I question how vertical I have the stylus.

Anyone with experience sending a headshell to an “expert” for alignment? Anyone can do what I did and call it good. Would be willing to pay to have it set accurately but don’t know if anyone offers this service and does it really well.

will probably be next week before I get to try all the ideas offered here. Thank you so much!!

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the mini bubble levels are very accurate and sensitive. check your platter with it to make sure it reads level.
    then level the flat of the headshell in the groove. the starting point for any VTA adjustment and cartridge, especially ortofon, is headshell and top of cartridge level.
    otherwise how do you know where tail up or tail down really begins?

Jeff449 likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

The cart / stylus is very picky with less than perfect records so you know.

13. My 2M Black sounds glorious. Even on crap records. Which reissue Zep albums? Some of those are notorious for built in noise. (non fill, etc)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.