3 Years ago today... Chris Cornell

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyldad62, May 18, 2020.

1. vinyldad62

vinyldad62 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure if someone has already started a thread today but just now getting home and reading the board
    So i apologize if already mentioned
    Miss him every day it seems but his spirit lives within my music

2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Man the day he passed was a real trip, out of all the headlines I thought I would read, that was not one of them and it still seems crazy he is not a presence on this Earth

One of the greatest rock vocalists ever, and for sure one of the coolest

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

3 years...time passes so quickly...seems like yesterday, R.I.P.

4. GoatsHeadSoup

GoatsHeadSoup Forum Resident

I remember it like it was yesterday. Couldn’t believe it then, and still can’t believe it three years later. It was that much more tragic hearing the cause of death. R.I.P.

Soundslave and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I passed up seeing him five minutes away from here the previous summer. I thought I'd wait 'til next time he came around.

Ryan Lux, longdist01 and Soundslave like this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

a very sad day...RIP Chris Cornell

i heard him perform the summer before with some colleagues through work, incredible and powerful voice and played a wide range of his work, plus surprising covers and encores!

Maranatha5585 and Soundslave like this.
  8. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

3 years.......wow.....I would have guessed half that time has went by.
    Scary.

lightbulb likes this.
  9. vinyldad62

10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Wow, just seems like yesterday.

seacliffe301 and BillyShears like this.
  11. Awful loss. I guess I never appreciated his voice till he was gone even though I liked Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog.

12. vinyldad62

Just the whole thing makes no sense to me. I think this is why most of us are having such a hard time trying to process it...
    I never in a million years would have believed this would happen to him. He seemed to have everything going his way. The most amazing voice in rock music, gone ... just like that
    Do feel fortunate that I got to see him twice
    RIP Chris

13. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I had a ticket to see Soundgarden on the Louder Than Love tour but the show was cancelled last minute.

14. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Had an opportunity to see him in '16 & even called the theatre to secure tickets. Then learned I needed to have a minor medical procedure & wouldn't be able to do so. Rotten timing.
    Wow, it was today...well, yesterday, now. :(:angel: (R.I.P.)

15. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

[​IMG]

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Unfortunately, I only got to see him once .... Feb. 8, 1997 .... at what turned out to be Soundgarden's penultimate gig before a 12 year hiatus ....

This general admission Maui show was outdoors in the afternoon .... (can't recall who opened) .... They'd just come from Australia, to do two Hawaii dates and conclude the Down On The Upside tour .... The band had to face into the sun, Chris wore shades the whole time .... the PA cut out several times on one side .... I imagine it was a slog for them and they were just there to get it over with .... Among other things, I also remember idiots trying to crowd-surf even during Chris' solo version of "Black Hole Sun" .....

Not the greatest time for Soundgarden ..... (I heard Ben left the stage the next night in Honolulu real pissed-off) ............ but still, I'm grateful I got to see them at all. :tiphat:

Yes, it is still hard to believe Chris Cornell left us when and how he did .....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

3 years already—I remember I had taken the day off work for a doctors appointment, and that was most horrible news to wake up to.

Cornell was a big part of my musical life, and what a voice he was. Still definitely miss him. I feel lucky to have seen Soundgarden a handful of times over the course of 20 years (my first concert was Lolla ‘96, where the band had the penultimate spot on the tour), and got to see Chris at a small intimate show for Euphoria Morning where he stage dove into me and my group of friends.

17. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Lucky to have seen him twice with Soundgarden, Audioslave and solo. Always outstanding - one of the all time great rock vocalists. He is missed.

18. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

The finest voice of his generation, Soundgarden still sounds so fresh after all those years...
    I was listening to Alice in Chains „SAP” yesterday and I got goosebumps when Chris started to sing - doesn’t happen that often to me.

Say Hello To Heaven, we miss you here Chris

19. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Rest in Peace

so many losses are tragic in their own way, but this one sure hit hard.

I was lucky enough to see Soundgarden a couple of times in the early (ish) days and also an Audioslave show... didn't fully appreciate the talent I was seeing at the time, but have been making up for that since Chris' untimely passing...

20. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Well, discovered Chris through Audioslave (huge fan) back in 2007, and as the time went on I started to appreciate his Soundgarden work in like 2013 and in 2016 some of his solo (mainly unplugged performances). At the same time started to take vocal lessons and he was my main inspiration for that. I still remember the day at work when a friend of mine wrote - hey, did you hear about Chris? And I was like, yeah, he's in Detroit since he tweeted about that yesterday. Well...
    Chris' solo tour was announced for the fist time in Russia (only Moscow though) but was cancelled in 2016. I was serving army at the time, so wouldn't have a chance to visit anyway.
    The Anti-Inaugural Ball in Jan 2017 was broadcasted online - that's the closest I was to see Audioslave and Chris live, so I guess that's at least something for a fan like me.

RIP Chris.

21. piepants

piepants Forum Resident

Still bummed man...

RIP Chris

wwright likes this.
  22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Three years? That blows my mind. What a sad day that was. Still is.

23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Forgot that I saw Audioslave at Lolla '03 (the last year that the festival toured the US). They put on a good show, and Chris did a bit of the Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" solo between songs. He always sounded great live.

Soundslave and Billy_Sunday like this.
  24. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Already purchased it.

wwright and Boomy like this.
  25. Devin

Devin Time's Up

I flew to L.A. to visit his grave on the first day. Took a few shots. Rest in peace Chris.
    [​IMG]