30-disc studio & live box coming from Gentle Giant

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Gentle Giant: Unburied Treasure

Here is how to find it

Go to google(dot)com in the search box you ente site:<<the site you want to search URL>> <<the search string>>

for above site:allaboutjazz.com unburied treasure

agn likes this.
  2. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Did a search for gentle giant
    Gentle Giant Articles

agn likes this.
  3. agn

agn Forum Resident

Thanks fRa and KCLizard!

KCLizard and fRa like this.
  4. agn

agn Forum Resident

I am perhaps one of the few who like later GG. I came on board with The Missing Piece, Giant For a Day and Civilian in mid/late 70s and then worked my way backwards. I then bought Acquiring The Taste and In A Glass House and then eventually the others but initially I was more drawn to those last 3 albums. The Missing Piece was the soundtrack to my first cross country trip to California from NYC back in the Summer 0f 1978 when I was 17. We played The Missing Piece to death on that trip and sang Two Weeks In Spain and Memories of Old Age, Mountain Time (through the Rockies) and I'm Turning Around on the way back. After I got to Octopus et al later on I understand why early GG fans hated these later records but for me they are still great.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    ironrod94, ParloFax, GreggF and 4 others like this.
  5. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

Weird, as others have read it... ??

Anyway, here is the link again. Hey, if someone will read it, I’ll do almost anything. Almost. :D

Unburied Treasure review at All About Jazz.

PS: Just had a look. Something has happened since I first posted, as the links worked then but, as you correctly state, don’t now. Still, just curious: did you use all about jazz’s internal search engine? I suspect that you may have typed in gentle giant in the artist box, but you actually have to wait ‘til it auto-fills with the name from our musician profile section. It’s a bit confusing for those using it for the first time (they should have a note there or something!), but there it is.

Anyway, now you’ve got it, my pleasure. Thanks for your interest!

Juggsnelson and agn like this.
  6. agn

agn Forum Resident

I used your link that you posted here on this thread and then tried to search on the All That Jazz site by typing Gentle Giant to no avail. Thanks for the link. Others on this thread found it for me so I have been enjoying reading it while listening and downloading the many GG live cds in this terrific set .

John Kelman likes this.
  7. John Kelman

Glad to hear it...and thanks for reading, and very happy you’re enjoying it (and that you have the box),
    Thanks again, and cheers!
    J

agn likes this.
  8. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Somewhat OFF Topic, I do not want to start a thread for this , Is there someone who has the "Live at Bicentennial"? If so do you like it, how is the sound?

Thanking you in advance.

9. John Kelman

I do. It's ok, but not as good as the other soundboards in the box. There's a reason for this, but to be honest, I cannot recall and, with the box currently safely on its shelf, I'm too tired to open it up and try to find the explanation....

But hope this helps. It's still a good enough sounding recording, no doubt, just not as good as, say, the multitracks from Dusseldorf, Brussels, etc.

KCLizard likes this.
  10. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Which are the (good) soundboards in the box?

11. Dok

Dok Senior Member

SW's remix of the first album is the Bee's Knees! Great dynamics and previously unheard separation enhancement of intelligent instruments. :righton: Am I hearing further inside? I thunk so! All hail Ray's bass!

12. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

Are you comparing it to the original mix or to the three remixed tracks that were on Three Piece Suite?

13. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Not making any direct comparisons other then in my mind Maki. It was a very favorable reaction to what I was hearing. Others may get different kilometers. It's the usual thing with these remixes, you hear some things clearer and more separated that might have been blended in differently in the original mix. Whether that is a stein of lager to your liking or not you would have to decide. I tend to like both or either depending. ;)

14. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Is there a complete list of the officially released tracks (live or studio) that aren't on this box set? In other words, if someone had only the box set -- or had the regular studio albums, and then got the box set -- what would they have left to buy to have "everything" official from GG?

15. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

It sounds pretty good. It was a live FM broadcast and the CD is sourced from an aircheck IIRC.

KCLizard and JediJoker like this.
  16. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

Just been comparing The Missing Piece from the new box with my two earlier CD versions. To my ears, it sounds a fair bit better than the rather flat, nasal sounding BGO release and far superior to the horrid, compressed version from the Chrysalis I Lost My Head set. There's little bit of tape damage on Two Weeks in Spain though. It's at 49 seconds on the right channel.
    Further thoughts may follow......

albertop and Plan9 like this.
  17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'll be curious to hear reviews of the new remaster of In A Glass House in particular of the studio albums, never one of their best sounding discs, imo. I'm also very curious about the live stuff, of course. This set is way too rich for my blood right now, but fortunately, my friend bought it recently so at least I'll get to check it out.

fRa and albertop like this.
  18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Not sure whether this is going to be of any help to anyone, but FYE is having a 20% off site-wide sale at the moment, which makes the cost of the Gentle Giant box $251.99. Problem is, it is listed as not available, and, as a result, you cannot add it to your cart! However, anyone interested may want to keep an eye on this page:

Unburied Treasure (Ltd 29CD+Blu-ray Box Set) by Gentle Giant - New on CD | FYE

(I've no experience with FYE, so no idea whether you could order over the phone at the reduced price, in case they get it down the road after the sale has ended. Or you could email them.)

kenbefound and CrimsonPiper like this.
  19. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Finally pulled the trigger on Burning Shed for this monster box! I hope it will be here in my remote Finland by Xmas!:drool:

agn, mark winstanley and Juggsnelson like this.
  20. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

I see, I'm just curious how the new remix compares to the "old" one (of the three tracks on TPS).
    I don't have the BGO, but I'll take that "horrid, compressed version from the Chrysalis I Lost My Head set" over the Terrapin Truckin' release every single time. If the new remaster manages to sound less bright and thin than the latter and uses less compression than the Kevorkian remaster – one more reason to hope for standalone releases of these new remasters.

21. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

I don't have the Terrapin version, but it must be awful if it's worse than the Chrysalis. :)
    The Missing Piece has never sounded good though. I remember being really disappointed with the original UK vinyl because of its harsh, top heavy tonal balance. The new remaster can't make it sound as beautiful as the Vertigo era recordings, but it's a warmer, fuller and much more pleasant listen. Yes, standalone releases would be nice, but I wonder if they'd sell more than a handful of copies. We live in hope.

22. newtonty

newtonty Active Member

Thanks for tip!. This is showing available now on FYE. I pulled the trigger.

23. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

^That's a great deal! For anyone on the fence, can't imagine you'll ever do any better than that price.

24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

:)

Yes, I just noticed the same thing and came here to report it, but you beat me to it! :laugh:

Hope it works out for those who want a copy.

25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Does FYE pack up their merchandise well before shipping? I'd hate to order this box only to have it show up banged up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.