300B Amps - Are they really the best?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zeitlos, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Ralph Karsten

Ralph Karsten Forum Resident

Essentially, yes. Sounds like you might want to talk to a technician about this.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Moving slightly a bit again on the 6C33C-B. I notice that on some tubes amps with a much bigger output tubes has more sound separation noticeably on the 300b and the 6C33C-B amp. I don't know if the amp is just a push-pull. I do notice that a lot of the 6C33C-b. O can play a semi fast tubes while I can hear the bass, mid-bass, mids and highs and handled correctly without getting distorted or not sounding like its all over the place. Is this just the characteristic of this tube?
    Thanks. CCG

3. Ralph Karsten

Sorry- I can't make out what you're asking here.

4. zeitlos

zeitlos Music was my first love Thread Starter

I enjoy my ANK 300B more and more every day. A very, very fascinating device. I'm rediscovering my entire music library! I think this amp is still getting better every day.

5. fireflames

fireflames Forum Resident

Hello, very interesting journey. Does the amp have a pre-in? If I understand correctly the kit is an integrated but you use a preamp with it?

zeitlos likes this.
  6. zeitlos

Yes, you are right, it’s an integrated amp. Works very well with my Schiefele pre amp that never would like to miss.

fireflames, jonwoody and jusbe like this.
  7. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Glad it's working out for you. Fun times.

jonwoody and zeitlos like this.
  8. zeitlos

"Working" is an understatement. It‘s getting better every day. I've never heard much music like this month. I also got a lifetime license from Roon :) It‘s really such a great amp.

Oddiofyl, jusbe and jonwoody like this.
  9. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I don't think it is getting better and better. It is probably the case that you are getting more familiar with the sound and discovering more and more in the music. Great to hear that your amp is working out so well.

jonwoody likes this.
  10. zeitlos

I'm usually also skeptical when it comes to “burning in“ hardware. And I agree with you that the process of getting used to it certainly also plays a role.

But in that case, I'm sure the device is still getting better. I've been told by a number of sources that oil paper capacitors take a certain amount of time to peak. There are also people who speak of at around. 100 hours of "break-in-time" in terms of tubes. In addition, this device has relatively large transformers. I can also imagine that they are subject to a certain break-in period.

All in all, in this case I'm pretty sure that after a while the device will play better than when everything is new/fresh. But of course, everyone can have their own opinion on this. :) Still I am with you that getting used to a device also plays a role.

Classic Car Guy, jusbe and jonwoody like this.
  11. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I do hope paper in oil capacitors get better with age. I am having crossovers made with 70-80 year old capacitors. My linestage and amplifier, which are around 12 years old are also built with some very ancient parts--primarily input and output transformers that are 70 or more years old, and tubes that are also very old and nearly impossible to find. If you think 300bs are costly, look up 348 and 349 tubes in working order.

jonwoody and zeitlos like this.
  12. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Those look fun. I really want to build a phono stage using the we437a.

jusbe and jonwoody like this.
  13. zeitlos

I‘m certainly far from being an expert on this, however, from what trustworthy people told me, yes, they need a certain time to reach their peak. So I would assume that those capacitors aren‘t best when recently delivered.

jusbe and jonwoody like this.
  14. Ralph Karsten

The filter capacitors in any product take a while to 'form up' at the operating voltage used in the circuit. That takes a while- usually 200-250 hours. The power supply is very critical in any single-ended product; it acts like a large coupling capacitor in some ways. When the caps form up its more effective.

Paper and oil caps can develop an electrical leakage, effectively a resistance across them. This can throw off the operating point of a tube, whether in a line stage or output section of an amp. Older parts can be quite suspect in this regard. I've seen it happen enough with new parts that I've learned to stay away from them if tubes are involved. I'm not saying this always happens, but out of samples I've had it was close to 50%. They should be fine in a crossover.

jonwoody likes this.
  15. Classic Car Guy

I took off the PIO from my old KT88 amp after 2 years. Replaced it with Poly Prop... Probably tonal preference but I end up liking it more till I retire the amp after 11 years.

16. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Sounds like you're firmly down the rabbit-hole. Good job!

zeitlos and jonwoody like this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

How many hours of tube life do you normally get in a well balanced 6c33c-b tube on a conservative settings?
    Curious for I just got 2 sets of quad. Wow getting these tubes match is not quite easy.

By the way and the other night while I was nessing around with the amp.
    Switch the stock rusckie' 6h8c to a 6SN7 USA tube for the first time in 4 months since when I got the amp. Between preamp and power output tube. Just this one tube made a huge difference in sound. I can hear the shimmering sound even in the lowest volume it just so clear. The midrange and the bass is top quality and always been the Dig-A-Log sound I was looking using reel to reel, cassettes and turntable. The amp already a huge sound but with this tube, it shaped it so especially in the mid bass and lower frequencies. The mids and highs sounds "Perfect". No irritating or edgy harshness sound on a horn speaker cabinet. I'm only using a $400 speaker cabinet. This amp setup made it sound like a million bucks. It just sounds rich, clean and elegant to listen to. Its doesn't have that deafening sound even on 98 db. I can still talk personally and understand at that volume. Sound that's coming out is just pure music.
    I'll probably add 1 more NOS 6sn7 to the input side next 2 weeks after I ran and muscle memory this setup. This way I can easily distinguish the forth coming changes... :cheers:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  18. Ralph Karsten

6C33s can last longer than their sockets. 3000 hours is no problem at all.

IMO/IME those Russian 6SN7s are really for emergency use only. Just about any other 6SN7 that tests good will sound better. I really don't like them- they give 6SN7s a bad name.

19. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

About using ancient caps, it is not easy finding those that are within specifications for capacitance and which have low equivalent series resistance. That is why those Western Electric caps that meet these requirements are expensive. For crossovers, the high value Audio Note caps with silver foil are also very good, and again, these are not cheap.

20. Classic Car Guy

That's great to hear about the tubes. Besides the socket, I should plan of getting a reserved part for its upcoming failure. Always good to have a backup anyway.
    Sometimes I'm really wondering how this amp would sound on a 15 inch driver, I just don't have that room for it. I basically had this amp built for I'm going to bring to our house outside of the US. That place has a 975 sq ft listening room. That's where I wanna get the big speakers.
    I also got this 1200 watts power regulator. This amp eats a lot of power and they can get really hot too on turbo mode.

[​IMG]

21. zeitlos

Unison Research Simply 845 - Wiedergeburt eines Klassikers | sempre-audio.at

Since I have Unison Research loudspeakers (Max 2) and since I appreciate the Simply Italy very much, I am of course looking at it with interest.

Oh, don't lead me into temptation. Although I wonder if this 845 amp will actually be much better than my 300B :) Or in general, where 845 amps surpass 300B amps.

On the other hand, Unison Research says the Simply 845 is at the top of their lineup. The Absolute 845 alone is a bit better (after all, it costs 40,000 euros)...

It should already be on display at the HighEnd in Munich. First reviews should also be forthcoming.

In Barn for Review: Unison Research Simply 845 Integrated Amplifier - Twittering Machines

22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Even if we could all agree on what makes an amp the best, the choices are so vast we would never agree on what amp is the best.

23. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Or you can use all the tubes and go with the cary 805ae :D I almost grabbed a pair local that came up last year until I realized how big these were.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  24. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

See if you can get to auditon some recent-production Elrog 300B tubes in your amp, as an interim measure before hearing the Unison 845. Might be a useful waypoint.

Ham Sandwich and zeitlos like this.
  25. zeitlos

Thanks! Interesting.

What exactly could the Elrog do better/differently compared to the Western Electronic?