3D Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Richard--W, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

1953-1954 state-of-the-art 3D has not been improved on by digital capture.
    Stereoscopic cinematography is the ultimate test of a cameraman.

I watch these films with the sound turned off so as not to be distracted
    from the depth, camera set-ups and lensmanship.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  2. Richard--W

Earliest 3-D rarities curated by the 3D Film Archive,
    and the single-strip 3-D revival (so far).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2021
  3. Richard--W

Imax's large-format documentaries have proved to be the
    ultimate in stereoscopic cinematography. Sitting in front
    of the gigantic screen watch the 65/70mm 3D is literally
    like experiencing another dimension. Many people say it
    gives them physical sensations -- you know, dizzyness.

Plus some others.

[​IMG]

4. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

5. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

I work in cinema design and can say that 3D is only as good as the team that maintains it.
    A brand new, properly setup, Real-D system looks incredible but if it’s not cleaned and re-aligned every so often, it’s not worth the ticket price.

Vidiot, Richard--W and JediJones like this.
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

It did look incredible on that monster Imax screen in 3D in 2012.

VU Master and JediJones like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Ghosts of the Abyss
    [​IMG]

Saw this in Manhattan in spring 2003 in 3D Imax. Incredible, with the glasses I reached to touch the hull. I ended up touching a woman's shoulder in front of me, she turned around and laughed because she knew why. You could almost touch the ship. I was impressed with this viewing.

longdist01 and JediJones like this.
  8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

On Black Widow in 3D 4DX at Regal, the trailers were completely messed up. They were strobing and jittering, with double imaging and rainbow colors. It was headache-inducing. I had to go out and tell them and they said they were working on it. The trailers never got fixed, but when the movie started, the 3D was working properly. I would've had to go home otherwise.

9. Richard--W

Let's make a necessary distinction here.

Stereoscopic photography / cinematography is a completely different
    thing from stereoscopic conversion. Digital technology makes it
    possible to convert any flat, standard film into 3-D, but the best and
    authentic 3-D films are shot stereoscopically. Which is not to say
    that digital conversions can't look impressive. Sometimes they do.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One interesting observation: in the last 15 years, all of the 3D films actually shot in 3D have had dozens (more like hundreds) of shots that had to be dimensionalized (that is, "fake 3D"), because of the visual effects involved.

Avatar is a good example of a film that has hundreds and hundreds of shots that were dimensionalized, but I don't think that the audience noticed or cared. In particular, the CGI shots on Pandora, flying through trees and forests and showing creatures and so on, were spectacular enough that it didn't matter. A lot of the 3D that was shot live on set had millions of dollars worth of complex technical fixes due to alignment issues and unanticipated camera/lens problems, so quite a bit of that had to be redone and even dimensionalized in some cases.

I worked for a few weeks on the 2010 Alice in Wonderland film directed by Tim Burton, and they actually storyboarded and planned every 3D shot so that they knew before the scene was done exactly what was going to happen. The Sony Imageworks technicians actually worked on the 3D process while the new scenes were being shot. The film wound up getting great reviews and made over a billion dollars, so I'd say they did pretty well with it.

3D has risen and fallen quite a few times over the years, and I think the problem they had around 2009-2010 is a lot of studio chiefs wrongly believed that any film released in 3D would automatically make money, because they could charge another $2-$3 premium on the theater ticket. Both Sony Pictures chief Sir Howard Stringer and Dreamworks CEO Jeff Katzenberg bet the entire future of their studios on 3D, and both eventually lost their jobs due to the financial disasters they ran into in the next 6-7 years that followed. The lesson learned was: a bad movie done in 3D is still a bad movie.

11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I don't know why, but lately they've taken 3D out of the IMAX showings. I think for the last couple years, they would split showings between 3D and non-3D on a lot of movies. Black Widow isn't showing in 3D at all on the IMAX screen at the Regal theater here. The 4DX theater shows it 3D once a day, 2D for the other 3 showings. Regular screenings have 3D for about 1 out of 5 showings. Looking back a bit the IMAX CEO was talking down 3D a few years ago and I think that's when they started showing some movies that could be in 3D without any 3D screenings. Luckily I have that 4DX option with 3D. The Regal theaters with RPX also show one 3D screening a day in that format.

12. Richard--W

I wouldn't mind seeing Black Widow in 3D if the IMAX were screening it.

My expectations are low but I always enjoy Scarlett Johanssen's work.

13. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I liked the 3D in it. The helicopter rescue and the fighting around the apartment buildings looked good. 4DX 3D looks quite good, I don't miss IMAX when watching it that way.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

longdist01 likes this.