4-core 14AWG speaker cable VS 2-core 12AWG cable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lukas D, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukas D

Lukas D Member Thread Starter

Are there any drawbacks or caveats to twisting the conductors of a 4-core cable together to form an "effective" lower gauge cable, vs a naturally thicker gauge?

It's just I have access to some high quality "star quad" speaker cable and want to know if twisting it to use on single-wire terminals will be as good as using thicker 2-core wires.

2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

It will work perfectly well. By increasing the effective conductor diameter, you're slightly reducing the resistance. That's a good thing for speaker wire.

While the difference might be technically measurable, unless your 14 gauge run is very long (40' or more for each leg), I doubt you'll hear much difference in volume after doubling the wires.

johnny q and mdm08033 like this.
  3. Lukas D

Lukas D Member Thread Starter

So "effective" diameter is just as good as actual diameter, even though the conductors are separated?

4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I’m old and not amused by the snake oil of the speaker wire business. When I was an dealer and installer in 1990s I probably could have paid more bills if I drank the Flavor-Aid that Audioquest and their ilk were serving, but I preferred a clear conscience. So I was all about the 18 gauge, 2 conductor, UL and plenum rated pull box.

I just pre-wired a friend’s basement for a 7.2 Atmos surround system. I bought and used a 500’ pull box of 18/2 for $50. I told my buddy that he should invest any spare cash in Blu-Ray discs of his favorite movies. There more sound in lossless sources than fancy speaker wire and cables.

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Yes. In the case of speaker wires runs in typical installations, effective gauge is all that matters. Separate insulated conductors that are twisted together at each end act like one larger conductor.

mdm08033 likes this.
  6. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I tried what you're suggesting by using 2 pair of speaker cables per speaker; one pair using bananas and the other using spades. I noticed no difference over a single pair but I did gain first hand knowledge which to me was worth the price of the extra cabling.
    But from there upgrading to MIT shotgun bi-wire cabling is another story:)

Agitater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.