4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Um, I'm the reviewer! :wave:

And didn't you notice why I gave so little space for the movie review?

Also: my opinion of a movie has zilch to do with my opinion of the picture/sound/extras quality.

I could love a movie and give it poor ratings in those categories... or hate a movie and give it raves in those categories.

Picture/sound/extras are a separate category than what I think of the movie...

GreggF likes this.
  2. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Who the reviewer is has little impact on my opinion of the review itself which I think does not give a fair review/score to the picture. That's just my take on it.

Great breakdown of the extras and I agree about the sound, I don't agree that the picture is a B+.

3. Oatsdad

I'm tough on PQ in that I don't like to give "A" ratings unless the visuals are objectively great.

It's a tough thing to determine. If a movie shot on a circa 1982 camcorder offers a perfect representation of the source, do you rate it an "A+" because it's a flawless transfer or an "F" because it looks like crap objectively?

I try to balance the 2 and explain the grade in the body of the review.

I just don't like to go above "B+" for an image that represents the source but doesn't look GREAT - and "Strangelove" doesn't look great in an objective sense...

Phillip Walch likes this.
  4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

Just saw this review on Amazon LOL
    [​IMG]
    Matt C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lawrence of Arabia on 4K UHD for $112
    Reviewed in the United States on April 20, 2020
    Also includes some strange bonus material, like 5 other movies.

jamesc, JimW, EVOLVIST and 1 other person like this.
  5. Phillip Walch

That's fair, thanks for explaining.

Oatsdad likes this.
  6. Phillip Walch

Actually kind of witty for an Amazon review. That box is fantastic, I knew 5 of the movies already and wanted Dr. Strangelove especially given I'm a manic Kubrick fan but Mr. Washington Goes to Washington was a movie I had not seen and I'm so glad I didn't wait for individual releases.

7. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Give me a specific scene to compare.

8. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

driverdrummer and Oatsdad like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Sony seems more willing to "let grain be" than their competitors - the "Close Encounters" 4K is also very grainy!

Scowl likes this.
  10. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

So, you've had your setup for about a week. Care to share your thoughts/experiences? Inquiring minds want to know...

EVOLVIST likes this.
  11. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

LOA due for individual release at some point soon also hopefully, no dates published yet that I've seen though, I just couldn't justify the box set given the selection of films. One of the films that was in the running for that box set is also slated for release soon, Looper, which whilst not a cinema classic is something I'm looking forward to seeing.

McLover likes this.
  12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Are you asking if 4K is worth investing in or did you mean 401K?

13. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

I usually go for the standard Blu-ray unless the 4K is the only way to get a superior master or something like that.

14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The review of Godzilla vs. Kong on BR.com gives 5 stars to the 4K but 3 1/2 to the blu. Won't know how accurate that is until they're released but that's quite a disparity as far as these things go.

15. Oatsdad

I disagree with it. The BD looks very good as well - though the 4K looks spectacular:

Godzilla vs. Kong [Blu-Ray] (2021)

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. You sold me with spectacular but I'll probably put this off until a good BF sale.

Oatsdad likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

I'll post my 4K "GvK" review in a couple days, but I already gave ya the gist! :D

18. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

What about “Mastered in 4K” standard blu-rays?

19. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I think im going to start replacing some of the regular Blu-Ray discs with the 4K releases since most of them now come with the regular Blu-Ray included since I don't have a 4K setup yet.

20. I think you have to train your eyes to see it.

With each step up, especially from 720p to 1080p, and now to 4k, there's an adjustment. I remember my eyes and my brain adjusting to 1080p. 4k is closer to real life, only with various veneers of film grain atop it. No, I haven't seen anything yet that wasn't a 4k film transfer from the negatives. Well, I take that back, I've watched plenty of 4k streaming, primarily on Netflix, most of which was shot in native 4k. Some nature shows and stuff. Very impressive.

I'm very pleased. :D

jhm and JimW like this.
  21. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

IIRC, according to Blu-ray.com, some of those were superb. To extract all the quality you needed to play them on select Sony hardware. Look for the reviews at the above site.

driverdrummer likes this.
  23. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

When people click helpful, they use it as a substitute as a like button.

24. Oatsdad

Gimmick. Sony loved to find ways to sell "videophile" product that really just meant "DVDs/BDs without any extras".

When/if their "Superbit" DVDs or "Mastered in 4K" BDs were better, it was usually because of an improved master or superior encoding, not because of their magical processes...

jhm likes this.
  25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I’m finding some blu rays have the ultra4k along with newly remastered standard blu rays. The Shining is an example but I’m not seeing a BIG difference from the previous 2007 blu.