4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Because she can stream it on Peacock now.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’ve got so many DVD and Blu-ray sets of TV shows that I bought that just sit unopened because it’s more convenient to stream it.

Thankfully 4K TV box sets hasn’t become a thing.

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The extra resolution on 4K discs is probably the last on my list of priorities when looking at something to upgrade.

I mostly buy them to upgrade things that weren't great on blu, or movies that have received a new ground-up restoration.

Some quick examples:

2001 - from the large format camera neg for the first time
    Big Lebowski - old blu was terrible
    Blade Runner (Final Cut) - old blu used the ancient VC-1 codec, and the color timing sucked
    Dark Crystal - giant improvement in color and detail
    Good The Bad & The Ugly - original international cut and mono audio for the first time since LASERDISC
    Predator - old blu was one of the worst ever produced
    Psycho - old blu looked good but the detail and stability on the new version looks amazing
    Wizard of Oz - sepia sequences no longer have massive amounts of flicker/density issues

tin ears, Jim B., EVOLVIST and 4 others like this.
  4. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Well, my wife won't let me upgrade my 1080 Panasonic Plasma for a new 4k tv (to benefit from 4k releases) that is now about 12 years old until and unless it breaks. Still going strong. I really want a new TV. I'm tempted to smack it or something and say, "see, now I need a new OLED.

5. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

I’ve got the 4k UHD of Blade Runner 2049 but it doesn’t look that great on my Oppo 203 and Samsung 4K tv.

Other 4K discs I have (Lord of the Rings for example) look great but the above looks washed out and dark….however the blu ray of BR 2049 included with it looks great.

Do I need to have a “custom” setting in place for some UHD discs?
    Apologies in advance if this is a real newbie question :)

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sounds like an issue with the HDR10 metadata, which this disc has. Your other titles are probably Dolby Vision, so likely a setting you'll need to tweak on your Samsung.

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I was in a similar situation although my wife didn't comment one way or the other. I only bought my LG OLED when my excellent 11 year old Panasonic Plasma started failing (would turn off and on randomly). I found out that it was a board that was failing in the TV and it would cost at least $400 to fix. In the end I gave the plasma away to someone who really wanted it (despite the fact that it was failing).

8. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I only watch 4K with my projector setup (even though yes I know projectors are limited when it comes to HDR).
    I enjoy it very much and have upgraded many movies.
    My TV is still a 6 year old Panasonic 1080P plasma (still going strong) which I use for TV shows and streaming (including my own DVDs/Blu-Rays with Plex).

9. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

I grew up with b&w tv until I was 12 when we got our first color tv. We got cable a couple years later. Growing up with rabbit ears antennas, snow, fiddling with the horizontal/vertical control, fine tuning, etc. I'm just fine with my 65" tv and streaming.

I have a few dozen old DVDs and I never even watch them. There are a very few movies that I like to watch more than once.

Good for all of you with the latest and greatest, but it's lost on me - especially with my eyes. I wear progressive lens as I can't see well close or far :D.

10. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

Thank you. :)

I’ll need to check this….but I don’t think an HDR flag popped up for the Blade Runner disc, but did for the LOTR disc.
    So it seems I’m not doing anything silly

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have both LOTR and BR2049 on UHD 4K. LOTR is Dolby Vision, and BR2049 is HDR10. So your TV is incorrectly interpreting the metadata of one, or the other. So it's not surprising they look different. Check your TV manual/settings, first.

BrettyD likes this.
  12. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I rip every (non-4K) disc to my computer as soon as I buy it these days. Even streaming isn't as convenient as playing with one click.

PH416156, schugh, Blimpboy and 2 others like this.
  13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That's my strategy for CDs, but I don't rip my Blu-rays. I have nearly 1000 movie titles on iTunes. It's easier to stream. Zero storage space and easy to resume.

mikeyt likes this.
  14. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

As of today I have 625 titles on disk.

jhm likes this.
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Very nice. I started to run out of space, so I had to pivot to digital/streaming.

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How much disc space do they take?

17. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Yup, I've got most of my TV Show DVDs and Blu-Rays ripped for streaming with Plex using 4 Nvidia Shields around the house.
    Around 25TB I think for TV Shows. So convenient. I can't think of how I managed before I started doing this.
    I'm now slowly ripping many of my Blu-Ray movies also. 4K movies take up too much room and I only have one place to watch them so I don't rip them, but many of them come with digital codes which I have redeemed.

jhm likes this.
  18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Four NVIDIA Shields?? Wow! I have one and love it but that's definitely an investment (not saying it isn't worth it though). Those suckers ain't cheap. It IS a very solid, fast product though, I'll give them that. Off topic (so I apologize), but I've tried to get my friends to get something Android based for their streaming instead of a Roku or Fire device as they are much more limited. I usually get blank stares :)!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Any members near WPa are welcome to PM me to discuss a home theater demo.

Does 4K HDR matter?
    Size matter?
    What does projection look like these days?
    Does light treatment matter?
    Sound quality enhance experience?

A couple hours should provide good insight.

Optical disc will almost certainly be replaced at some point. But when? And necessarily by streaming? Or hard drive? Maybe a consumer version of the file package used by commercial theaters?!

As for now, well, physical is thriving. Relatively speaking.

EVOLVIST and jhm like this.
  20. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Yeah, I bought one in 2015 which I was only using for my main media room. Then I bought one in 2017 and put that in the media room and the older one in the family room.
    Then I got two more last year in December. Now the oldest one is where I do some exercise (winter time) and I have an old Pioneer Kuro Plasma. The 2017 version is in the bedroom. The other two in the media room and the family room.
    I did have a Fire Stick in the exercise room for a while and I'm guessing because I didn't use it every day it always flaked out and I just wasn't impressed with it given all the good reviews it gets.
    I also played with a Roku back in 2015 time frame and I didn't like it either.
    Oh I forgot. For a while I had a couple of these Chinese boxes. I think they were called Minix or something on which I ran Kodi. They were good for a while but sold them after a little bit of time.

Actually I was just thinking after posting this. I think I only got one last year, and I must have got one the year before. I don't recall every buying two at the same time.

jhm likes this.
  21. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I think so. I'm glad that I made the investment.

[​IMG]

22. Has anyone ever vehemently disagreed with a UHD review? I'm sure that the answer is yes!

I mean, give or take, one might have some quibbles, but I put in Glory last weekend, and there's filmic, with a nice grain structure, and then there is Glory, with so much of it shot poorly, and so much heavy grain, that it obscured what details there was.

About half of the movie looked terrible. Close-ups were soft, very little detail, and grain flickered like multicolored pixels.

The kicker is that Blu-ray.com gave it 5 stars for PQ. Jaws might be 5 stars. The Wizard of Oz could be 5 stars. Glory is like 3 stars, at best.

jhm likes this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that, but at least it's a great movie :righton:!

24. We are always willing to trash a UHD when it's needed. It has cost us screeners from several different labels...

4K UltraHD - DoBlu.com - 4K UHD & Blu-ray Reviews

budwhite, EVOLVIST and jhm like this.
  25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Oops. I have purchased a new 4K player that also has the Dolby Vision feature and wanted to buy LOTR. My TV has not dolby Vision but just 4k HDR. Will I see LOTR with incorrectly balanced colours? Thanks.