4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I think the Clapton one is Lady In The Balcony.

jhm likes this.
  2. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I have precisely three concerts released as 4K discs

Mylene Farmer
    INXS
    Michael Schenker

905, PH416156 and reapers like this.
  3. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

In response to the original question - 4k discs are absolutely not worth investing in.

From a sound and picture perspective however they do currently offer the best option for a home-based film/entertainment experience.

4. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I just watched Blade Runner in 4K and it is truly phenomenal. I'm not sure I could ever watch my Final Cut DVD again.

EVOLVIST, ATR and CBackley like this.
  5. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Yes, not really a concert more of a session

6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I think I forgot to mention it. Really great. HUGE improvement from my laserdisc edition that got sold with the rest of my laserdiscs and players. Unanimously highest ratings on the review sites for 4k discs.

7. hakstone

hakstone Witnessing the prototype of the Eloi

2 movies have been mentioned as great in 4k that I've watched. Apocalypse and blade runner. Some scenes are stunning, but some are quite bad. The opening to BR is great, but the scene in the rain when order food is awful. Apocalypse has many great scenes, but the shots over water with the sky are terrible. So are we not talking about it or do I have the wrong versions ? I'm at work so versions will have to wait.

8. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Well, thanks to this thread I just bought "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs". So my answer is yes.

Joshua Tree and EVOLVIST like this.
  9. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

10. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

I've had the 4K player and new TV up and running for just over a week now and I'm impressed so far. I purchased a few 4K discs and Blade Runner 2049 looks unbelievable, probably the best picture quality I've seen yet.

The Batman and Joker look outstanding too.

I've seen some criticism of the Terminator 2 4K so I'm just wondering why is it considered so bad?

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The transfer was done for 3D so all grain has been scrubbed. The actors look like something from Madame Tussauds.

supermd, Rough&Rowdy and jhm like this.
  12. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Are these good on a PS5?

13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I don't own a PS5 but I don't think it offers Dolby Vision at the moment if that matters to you.

Boomy likes this.
  14. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Yes, UHD discs look great on the PS5. As mentioned, they don't do DV, so on some discs you don't get the absolute best, but they will still look great (assuming a good transfer/mastering).

I have a standalone (Sony UBP 800X M2) but tried the PS5 just to see how it does. THE PQ is fine; most bothersome to me is the noisiness of the drive- definitely can take me out of a movie during a quiet stretch. Don't know if this is a problem on all PS5s, but it is on mine.

Lars Medley and Boomy like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Amazon has the 5-movie "Hitchcock Classics Collection" for about $9/movie, so I splurged.

Watching in chronological order. "Saboteur" and "Shadow of a Doubt" looked very good but didn't blow away the Blu-rays.

"Trouble With Harry", though... oh my! Shot VistaVision and Technicolor, it's a true demo disc on 4K!

Stencil, mdm08033, jamesc and 2 others like this.
  16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I saw the 2008 reissue in the theater. I thought it was perfect.

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Lawrence of Arabia has an excellent transfer on the Superbit edition of it.

audiomixer likes this.
  18. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Our host loved Vertigo in 4K so much I was convinced to upgrade my Hitchcock box.

19. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

20. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Watched Escape from Alcatraz y'day, first time on a 4k disc. The dark scenes are a bit too dark but other than that, it's a nice transfer (LG OLED C9, LG 4k player). Pulp Fiction and Death Wish are coming in a week or two, can't wait.

21. Oatsdad

Yeah, but a DVD didn't need to be "Superbit" to have a good transfer.

IMO, the Superbit DVDs that surpassed their "regular DVD" counterparts did so because they used superior scans of the movies, not because they had extra "bit space" on the discs.

The original "LOA" was a crappy transfer. The Superbit used a new one. Not convinced that a "regular DVD" of the then-new transfer would've been worse than the Superbit.

22. Oatsdad

Yeah, that's another VistaVision so it got a major boost in 4K.

I loved the image too!

Vertigo [4K UHD] (1958)

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Which is why I said what I said.

24. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

So last night I watched Top Gun Maverick with my parents with my new tv and 4k player. My parents, who are not videophiles, immediately noticed the difference in the quality of my new tv.
    One big take away during the film is how clearly you can see the actors sweat during the film....which really adds to the tension in the film.
    BTW the movie was an enjoyable movie.

Grant, Boom Operator and jamesc like this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never saw the movie and have no interest in doing so, but I get you. The detail, tru colors, and dimensionalism is so good, though, that it gets distracting.