$5.00 Bin At Walmart (1/26/12)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Yeah, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisPineo

ChrisPineo Active Member

Found G&R Lies, ZZ Top's "Deguello", Steely Dan's "Pretzel Logic" and America's self titled debut album (that one surprised me) at Best Buy for $4.99 each.

I saw The Cars "Candy-O" at Walmart for $5 but not in the bin. I have it but I told a friend who wanted it and he swore it wasn't there. Sure enough next time I went it wasn't there. I thought I was crazy. On my next visit it was in the bin. I bought it, presented it to him and said "there". Along with "You owe me $5". LOL.

I have to say that in my last visit the $5 section at Best Buy beat the one at Walmart. Both are great though.

2. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

I saw multiple copies of both S/T and Candy-O the last time at BB, and I remember seeing Heartbeat City previously. No Panorama or Shake It Up though.

3. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Tonight at Wal-Mart I saw Dan Folgleberg's Greatest Hits with Made in Japan on the back, and no "Now Made in USA" in the white strip. Is this unusual to find sealed in 2012? Anyone else seen anything similar?

4. I think the labels are just digging up whatever archival art and sleeve designs they have at the moment for these budget reissues and reprinting them. I don't think Walmart is selling in 2012 a Japanese import. The art probably hasn't been touched since it was first created in its first year of release and hasn't been updated.

5. davers

davers Forum Resident

Probably the case. Several of the original Columbia/CBS rear inserts were never updated to include the "Now Made In The USA" phrase; perhaps the Fogelberg greatest hits cd is among that group.

I concur with the poster who mentioned that the $4.99 bins at Best Buy have a great variety right now.

6. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

Today I picked up Roger Water's "Pro's and Con's of Hitchhiking" made in Japan for US release in 1984 at Best Buy's $4.99 bin.

7. JimC

JimC Senior Member

That's what I'm wondering: would one expect to find a Made in Japan disc (1980s vintage, not 2012, of course) with that Fogleberg artwork?

It's funny that almost every used copy of of his GH that I find in the used bins is Made in Japan.

8. laynecobain

Good question. I looked for more "Made in Japan" but that was the only one out of a 1000, at least.

I'd love to have access to a Best Buy Distribution center to see what they have sitting around.

Amazing they have slashed their box sets' prices. Bought 3 Disc Box Set of Stevie Ray Vaugh for $25. Very nice set also.

9. JimC

JimC Senior Member

:yikes:

I'm going to be around a couple of Best Buys next week, so I'm looking forward to checking out the box sets. Last time they were priced high.

10. laynecobain

It's all the box set from a decade or more ago. Nothing new like Beatles Mono or even the Floyd Box sets. Anything new, is priced normally.

Ones I noticed for under $30

The Police
    Waylon Jennings
    SRV
    Hendrix
    Springsteen
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Nirvana

To name a few.

But my Best Buy has always been a great place for deals--that's why I go.

I found a Pro-Ject Debut III for $249, and someone from here called them and got one also.

When they were liquadating their vinyl--I bought every Back to Black, Friday Music, Box Sets (Metallica, Queen, Nirvana) for 70% off. The "audiophile" re-issue albums from Friday, Back to Black Captiol were going for $10 and under. I made a huge killing. I bought stuff I had no intention of listening to, but it's wrapped and in the collection.

11. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Dep Purple - Made in Japan
    Black Sabbath - Vol. 4

12. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I finally did it. For months, I've briefly browsed throught the $5 bin at Wal-Mart until I grew frustrated with being unable to see most of the bin. I was in there late last night and the family had some time consuming tasks in other parts of the store.

I began to dig through the bin and was stacking them up as I looked at them. Over the course of 45 minutes to an hour, I had looked at every cd in that bin, and left them stacked :) It was a proud look on my face as I walked away from those neatly stacked cds.

Other than the standard Britney Spears and J-Lo cds, I found a few that I found interesting.

SHOTGUN WILLIE - Willie Nelson
    MUDSLIDE SLIM -James Taylor
    MILLENNIUM COLLECTION - Bob Wills
    HIS BAND AND STREET CHOIR - Van Morrison
    CAN'T BUY A THRILL - Steely Dan
    LIVE - Hank Williams Jr.
    RAMBLIN' MAN(Buddah Remasters) - Waylon Jennings
    FEEDING FRENZY - Jimmy Buffett
    CHILL OF AN EARLY FALL - George Strait

13. davers

davers Forum Resident

Actually, I've noticed good deals on some more recent sets. For example, Hendrix "West Coast Seattle Boy" is only a couple of years old and bargain priced at $28.

Regrettably, I waited too long and missed out on the SRV set for the same price (I've since tracked down a decent used copy). My local Best Buy has really trimmed down on box sets in the past six months.

14. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Black Sabbath
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid

15. JimC

JimC Senior Member

We have a store called ALCO (Small-Mart of a kind) in a neary town. Since they opened a few years ago they've had $5 deals on some decent discs. The other day I picked up Paul Simon self-titled with bonus tracks and the two-disc deluxe of the Cure's Seventeen Seconds for five bucks each.

16. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

17. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

I got hendrix band of gypsys for 4.99 at best buy and also saw the recent hendrix box west coast etc for $29

18. George McClellan

George McClellan Forum Resident

I was shocked when I went to Best Buy a week ago and they had such a good selection of CDs in the "Bargain Bin". I picked these up in visits to two different stores:

Scorpions - "Blackout" $4.99
    Scoripions - "Love At First Sting" $4.99
    Def Leppard - "Vault: Greatest Hits" $9.99
    Bob Dylan - "Highway 61 Revisited" $6.99
    Bee Gees - "Spirits Having Flown" $4.99
    Bee Gees - "Children of the World" $4.99
    The Clash - "London Calling" $6.99

Since when does Best Buy have a better bargain bin than my local Newbury Comics? I plan to visit a couple more Best Buys to see what they have. Hoping to score "H20" by Hall & Oates! (I could order from Amazon but part of the fun is the hunt!)

19. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Saw a new one in the Best Buy bargain bin today:

Black Uhuru/Sinsemilla

This is a 2003 reissue on Island under the "Reggae Classics" banner; it has two bonus dub mixes.

Has anyone else seen more Island reggae in the bargain bins? I'm trying to track down a few of the "Reggae Classics" titles and it would be great to find them for $5... there are other titles from Black Uhuru in this series as well as Junior Murvin, Burning Spear, etc.

20. jabrow75

jabrow75 Forum Resident

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis today in the Wal-Mart bins. No bonus tracks, Atlantic/Flashback

21. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I bought this one, it doesn't say made in Japan or U.S.A. It has DIDP 020008 and EK 38308 on it though.

22. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I saw some titles I hadn't seen before in the $4.99 section at Best Buy over the weekend--

Jeff Beck - Flash
    Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender
    A number of Grand Funk Railroad discs
    John Hiatt - Slow Turning and Perfectly Good Guitar

23. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I picked up the Hendrix West Coast Seattle Boy for $28 at my local Best Buy a few weeks ago. They had a pretty big selection of Pink Floyd Immersion boxes, Jethro Tull and a few others. I was in there last weekend and they're all gone now. Not sold but sent back to where ever they keep this stuff.

24. sunsetandgower

sunsetandgower Forum Resident

Thanks to this thread, I am about $50 poorer with two new cd's, 1 new dvd set and a B&N membership card:)

I haven't been to my local Barnes & Noble in pretty much forever, but walking in really reminded me of Borders. They have a very nice music & dvd area. And tons of $4.99 and $7.99 cds. I will definitely be back.

25. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Picked up both Keith Richards CDs a few weeks ago at BB. I've been meaning to get these for awhile, and being able to get them both for less than what one would have cost me not too long ago only sweetened the deal! Wish they had the live album too.

Picked up French Kiss by Bob Welch awhile back too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.