5.1 / Stereo Connection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mudbone, Nov 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist Thread Starter

I have two receivers. For the sake of my question: one is stereo and one has 5.1 capability.

Here's my question:

Can I hook a DIGITAL out from a SACD/DVD-V player to the 5.1 receiver

AND

Hook the stereo L/R analogue outs to the other (stereo) receiver.

This would allow me (I think) to be able to turn on the 5.1 receiver to watch DVD-Vs but if I want to listen to SACD in stereo utilize the other receiver which is hooked to better speakers.

One DVD-V & SACD player hooked to two different receivers.

Or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,

mud-

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sure. The only time you'll hear Digital out enabled is any other playing scheme than SACD. If you play an SACD and use the digital in, you will hear NADA. NOTHING. Sony felt long ago, the onboard DAC was to do all the converting to A, period. Sorry, bud. :(

No. However, I would look into something more unified. My Rotel takes both, and I'm able to select anything I want. You're not asking for trouble, and what you have in mind WILL work, but I really would look into getting something more unified maybe after Santa picks your pocket this season.

I merely have my SACD player hooked digitally "Video 4" (for DTS CDS or digital out) and then the A's go in to CD Player to the Rotel pre. The DVD is a seperate unit, and is hooked up digitally only, since that's basically all I need (coax RCA).

You CAN do it without blowing up anything, yes. :)

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist Thread Starter

Sckott, thanks!!! You have the pocket picking part correct.

Right now, I want to hear a few of the SACDs I have w/o going through a lot of pain. Once my pockets get refilled I'll be getting a little more specific.

I want a whole new system, y'see.

mud-:D

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That's exactly what you should do.

Not to be repetitive, but I seriously recommend to everyone a seperate pre and amp combo. The pre being your flexibility and your favorite amp for your muscle.

Although at the time, I was more into tubes, building a really strong SS combo for HT/Audio use upstairs was a major achievement, and the results award me to this day. Knowing what I have and what I like with my electrostatic Acoustat 3's and the Hafler I pseudo-reconditioned, I have something not only cohesive, but powerful.

I can't tell you how, even still, those electrostatics are absolute joy, especially for classical and jazz. I recently resocked them. Black cloth.

Someday you will walk down that road and love every minute of it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.