5 Zappa Titles on HDtracks.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There is a small space saving for 24/96 compared to DSD64, but 24/192 is more than 1.5 times the size. (Ignoring FLAC and DST compression -- DST compression is usually not used for DSD downloads, so that changes the picture considerably if you assume a 50% FLAC reduction).

Ah, The Tubes! :)

Veovis and c-eling like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks. I wasn't sure- I haven't dabbled in the mystery's of DSD files :laugh:

3. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I've read through the thread, so the general opinion seems to be that Apostrophe and Joe's Garage are improvements over the 2012 CDs? Those are the two albums I want to take a dive on.

Possibly Sheik Yerbouti as well, anyone pick that one up?

rlp likes this.
  4. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

The NOS people would still need to convert the hi-res PCM to redbook, right? Would be almost as easy to do from DSD64.

Maybe Ahmet and Joe has a plan to release these as DSD after this PCM hi-res program? I wouldn't be much surprised. To release for example Halloween '81 in hi-res a few months after releasing it in redbook, without an offer for an upgrade price for folks who have already bought it, is just cynical business stuff.

By the way, was the '81 Halloween shows really recorded with analog equipment?

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

If they were old TDA-chip NOS types, then, yes. However, you could have a NOS DAC with selectable sampling frequency that could could support 24/96 or 24/192 natively.

In one of the volumes of You Can' Do That... FZ wrote that he didn't have a digital multi-track recording facility until 1984 (I think Mark Pinske talks about this in one of his giant online interviews).

7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Ha! You're right!! Shows how long it has been since I've listened to YCDTOSA Vol. 3!!! :D

I thought it was What Do You Want From Life?

Instant Dharma likes this.
  8. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Ok, thanks. Had always assumed he recorded live digitally from around '81-82 or so, based on both sound and how much stuff he seems to have recorded live starting around that period.

Seem to recall he recorded some stuff live in 1980 in digital (Sony console) but I guess that was a one off thing.

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

He did some live to 2-track stuff early on, but multi-track came later.

Mix: So you were working in digital on this restoration project long before you took digital on the road? Because in ’82 you were still doing 24-track analog live recordings.
    Pinske: Oh, yeah. All analog in ’82. The digital machine didn’t come along ’til ’83.

ChristopherTeuma and Veovis like this.
  10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

What Do You Want From Life is 'borrowed' from Frank's Does This Kind of Life Seem Interesting To You from 200 Motels.

I love The Tubes but they nicked that one.

11. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I see HD Tracks has the FZ at 192 but Qobuz only has the 96. I wonder why that is.

12. Jmac1516

Jmac1516 Forum Resident

13. Compared to which version?

Anthrax likes this.
  14. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

15. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Zappa in NY and Orchestral Favorites are both 96/24, as the liner notes state that that’s what they were converted at. Absolutely Free and Burnt Weeny are 192/24, not sure about the rest though.

16. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

Sorry I was laughing at Travers for not making it clearer about how the mastering of the high-res releases were done. ((considering that these high-res releases are aimed at audiophiles who want to know exactly how the mastering took place))
    It's also a shame that the 2012 releases didn't make it to SACD or hybrid disc.
    Although Sony originally developed DSD as an archival tool., Yes, I agree many audiophiles would have wanted the DSD downloads.
    The panel swore that no upsampling took place so we must congratulate Messrs Ludwig, Sax and Grundman for not simply making 16-bit, 44.1 masters from the DSD transfer files

17. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

All titles that originates from the 2012 remastering project are available in 24/192. The newer things (ZiNY 40th, OF 40th, Halloween 81 and Chicago '78) are in 24/96, likely because they were transferred and mastered in that resolution.

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, he recorded a few shows in Germany 1980 to two-track digital. Otherwise he recorded analog until UMRK got its digital machine shortly after the release of Man From Utopia and LSO Vol. 1 in 1983.

Veovis likes this.
  19. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Does anyone know how likely it is that there's a hi-res version of We're Only In It For the Money in the vaults? So far as I can tell, the only versions currently in print are sourced from the '1993 1630 Digital Master', (including both the 2012 CD release, and the 2016 vinyl release). Would love to hear that in hi-res, but I don't know that such a thing even exists.

vivalapsych likes this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Judging from how the CDs from that 1993 transer sound to me I think the original stereo master is pretty worn down.

21. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Yeah, I wonder if they have a safety master in the vaults. The 2016 Lumpy Gravy vinyl repress was sourced from a safety master, and sounds miles better than the 2012 CD press which was sourced, again, from the 1993 digital master. According to the liner notes, it's because the original master was completely worn down and almost unplayable that they used the safety.

vivalapsych likes this.
  22. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Did MoFi do their own transfer, and if so what resolution?

Not too much chatter about the quality of these new releases. I am going for New York and Burnt Weanie Sandwich.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The WOIIFTM cd (the original stereo mix) also uses a safety tape as the source, but it's not in great shape. The mono mix included on Lumpy Money sounds "healthier".

dlokazip likes this.
  24. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Didn't realise there was a MoFi Money, but a quick google suggests that it was sourced from that same 1993 digital transfer.

dlokazip likes this.
  25. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

7digital has 192 KHZ + 96 KHZ

ChristopherTeuma and Roberto899 like this.