50 Years of Love & Arthur Lee "Da Capo" "Forever Changes" "Love" & more: Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WilliamWes, Mar 11, 2016.

1. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means Thread Starter

When you add up the early stuff, yeah there's enough for an album-another lost Love album still waiting in the vaults kind of like the Byrds "In the Beginning".

Dennis Metz likes this.
  2. WilliamWes

Arthur did have a nice long setlist loaded with goodies on his final tours. What made it stand out for you?

3. WilliamWes

1966 Single: 7 and 7 Is/No. Fourteen

The day after their American Bandstand appearance they recorded what would be considered in hindsight, the first punk record in history (some say proto-punk). Influenced many and covered by many, this has become a garage rock classic. It's possibly the most abrasive record of the 1960's. An explosive leap of creativity by Love. (There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.) A preview for their followup album "Da Capo".
    [​IMG]
    (From Wiki): "7 and 7 Is" is a song written by Arthur Lee and recorded by his band Love on June 20, 1966, at Sunset Sound Recorders in Hollywood. It was produced by Jac Holzman and engineered by Bruce Botnick.

The song was released as the A-side of Elektra single 45605 in July, 1966. The B-side was "No. Fourteen", an out-take from the band's earlier recordings. "7 and 7 Is" made the Billboard Pop Singles chart on July 30, 1966, peaking at number 33 during a ten-week chart run and becoming the band's highest-charting hit single. The recording is also featured on the band's second album, Da Capo.

4. WilliamWes

An exciting colorful contemporary video of "7 and 7 Is", nice way to hear the song..

tedhead likes this.
  5. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

Wanted to say I really like Emotions, too. Used to think it was a perfect side closer.

And I actually think My Little Red Book was one of Burt's last great songs, before he went into schlockville. I actually prefer Manfred Mann's version. I recall seeing an interview with Lee where he said the Manfreds treated it like a ballad and they (Love) had to punk it up. Manfred's version is anything but a ballad. If anything, it's stronger rhythmically than Love's version. Lee did "punk it up" by making it a pretty loose version of the song. But, that said, of course, I really like the Love version as well. Bought it as a single when I heard it. I remember that Bandstand show.

Really like this thread. You're doing a good job. Looking forward to more.

Gumboo and WilliamWes like this.
  6. WilliamWes

Thanks so much, it's my first thread and I read other album-by-album threads for a guide, but I always have a little self-doubt, I thought maybe I was overdoing it, but I'm kind of a Love fanatic, so sometimes I can't help myself.:)

hipster006 likes this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

To me, this sounds like Arthur heard Twist and Shout and was given 5 minutes to come up with something just like it.

pobbard and WilliamWes like this.
  8. WilliamWes

The Manfred Mann version is also great, I love the organ in it.

9. I am love love love loving this thread. thanks for your hard work, William!

WilliamWes likes this.
  10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

This thread has got me started on a Love marathon!:cheers:

Revolver, Scope J and WilliamWes like this.
  11. WilliamWes

This month I took all my Love studio albums and put them on a playlist set to shuffle-kind of like an all-Love radio station. Interesting hearing the different eras mixed up.

Coco Laboy likes this.
  12. Tom Adams

Tom Adams Well-Known Member

It pisses me off that there is not one minute of live music available featuring the original lineup. It just blows my mind. I keep hope that something will come out someday. If someone is hoarding something somewhere, they should be hung

13. WilliamWes

It really is such a shame. The closest thing we have is the Lee/MacLean "Love Live" from 1978-but even on that, MacLean sings a couple of non-Love songs instead of his Love material. Now I want an original lineup album too-would have loved to hear the real version of "Revelation" instead of the chopped edited one on "Da Capo". Maybe there's something in the vault, but after the recent 4-CD release featured no material from the 66-67 lineups, there may be nothing to wait for.:waiting:

dkmonroe and Tom Adams like this.
  14. Dennis Metz

I've got a CD with A Message to Pretty and My Little Red Book from American Bandstand 1966:cheers:

15. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Thanks for the great posts of Arthur Lee and Love's early tracks, some of which I hadn't heard (I'm also a long time Love fanatic). The post with the bio of Arthur Lee mentioned that he went to Dorsey High School, I looked it up on Classmates and found a high school picture of him on the basketball team. Linking to that site is difficult but here's another page with the picture (from the 1961 yearbook). Another notable who attended with Arthur at the same time was Robert Kardashian, father of the famous Kardashian brood.

Love Dorsey High School »

WilliamWes likes this.
  16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Thanks William. I'm sure it's the same as the standard ish US Elektra. Just curious as to whether the 2001 mono/stereo disc is an improvement.

17. Tom Adams

Tom Adams Well-Known Member

I know, but they're lip synching. The video is only footage...but still not live.

18. Dennis Metz

Sorry:cheers:

19. Dennis Metz

I'm up to False Start already...Lost Love is next:cheers:

WilliamWes likes this.
  20. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

It would have been so cool to see this band in the early days. They must have been quite the sight, being one of the first interracial rock bands. And Arthur had such style....I think he was more influential than he gets credit for.

That first album is classic. Lots of great moments there. Also, their version of My Little Red Book indirectly influenced the early Syd Barrett-led Pink Floyd song Intersteller Overdrive.

WilliamWes, bhazen and tedhead like this.
  21. WilliamWes

The 1966 EP - 7 and 7 Is
    [​IMG]

Rupe33 and Scope J like this.
  22. WilliamWes

Love's 2nd Album- Da Capo
    [​IMG]

Da Capo is the second album by American rock group Love, released in November 1966 by Elektra Records.
    All tracks composed by Arthur Lee, except where indicated.

Side one
    1. "Stephanie Knows Who" – 2:33
    2. "Orange Skies" (Bryan MacLean) – 2:49
    3. "¡Que Vida!" – 3:37
    4. "7 and 7 Is" – 2:15
    5. "The Castle" – 3:00
    6. "She Comes in Colors" – 2:43
    Side two
    1. "Revelation" (Lee, Bryan MacLean, Johnny Echols, Ken Forssi) – 18:57
    2001 reissue
    The 2001 reissue presents both monaural and stereophonic mixes as well as a stereophonic tracking session for "7 and 7 Is".

[​IMG]
    • Arthur Lee – lead vocals, harmonica, guitar, drums, percussion
    • Bryan MacLean – rhythm guitar, vocal
    • Johnny Echols – lead guitar
    • Ken Forssi – bass
    • Alban "Snoopy" Pfisterer – organ, harpsichord
    • Michael Stuart – drums, percussion (On "7 and 7 Is", either Pfisterer or Lee plays drums. Stuart and Cantrelli do not appear.)
    • Tjay Cantrelli – saxophone, flute, percussion
    with
    Producer- Paul Rothchild

Singles
    • 7 & 7 Is/No. Fourteen (Elektra 45605)
    • Stephanie Knows Who/Orange Skies (Elektra 45608, withdrawn)
    • She Comes In Colors (edit)/Orange Skies (Elektra 45608)
    • Que Vida!/Hey Joe (Elektra 45613)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Rupe33 and alexpop like this.
  23. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I like the first 2 albums best and it all just seems so zippy and fresh and aggressive that I just marvel:)
    Forever Changes is ok but I tire of it quickly.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Orange Skies " stand out song.

25. Kevin Howard

Kevin Howard Forum Resident

In 1966 they played both the Avalon Ballroom and the Fillmore Auditorium in San Francisco. The Fillmore West came into existence in July 1968, previously it was called the Carousel Ballroom.

WilliamWes likes this.