50's 60's Folk Comps: Kingston Trio, Peter Paul & Mary?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Any recommendations for 50's-60's Folk compilation CDs with the groups mentioned and similar artists?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Those artists don't usually couple, due to record company restrictions.

Skip the Peter, Paul & Mary CD's and go for the old Gold Label WB LP's. The CD's have a bunch of overdone digital echo that was not on the original mixes, mono or stereo.

The Ron F. Capitol Collectors Series Kingston Trio CD sounded pretty good to me, but I haven't heard it in years.

3. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I strongly recommend Time-Life's 4 Volume "Treasury of Folk Music" ... it's mastered by Dennis Drake ... I've heard Vol.s 1 and 2 and they sound great :) :thumbsup: ... here are the track lists.

4. Khorn

Tnx They look damn good! Great selections.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Wish I had a copy now, but back when I was getting those '80s import CD catalogs with listings for Japan CD's, I remember one I let get away: (TEN)YEARS TOGETHER, the only PP&M comp during the vinyl age. I would guess this was likely sourced from whatever tape copy was sent to Japan, and if my handful of WB Japan's are any indication, you get the 'flat' sound and all the hiss and warmth you could want(making me wistful I didn't snag it when I had the chance--who knew?:( )

For the Kingston Trio, the disc Steve mentioned is about as good as it gets; the 4-CD box set is an enjoyable journey if you can ignore the NR, which, frankly, is hard to do if you have the Furmanek comp for reference.

As Steve points out, the stereo gold label WB's sound very nice; the last one was ALBUM 1700, worth the journey alone for "Leaving On A Jet Plane" and "The House Song," which were coupled as a fall '69 single as their *final* 45 before their *breakup*:rolleyes: --as if they ever could:)

ED:cool:

6. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Interestingly ... I picked up a copy of PP&M's 1990 'The Very Best of ... ' (WEA International - Made in Japan - WPCP-3877) today and I think it sounds pretty good ... I don't hear the digital echo that Steve mentioned, but I don't have fancy high-end system ... BSN gave it a "C" because of audible hiss on all the tracks which is usually a good sign ... the track list is:

1. Leaving On A Jet Plane
    2. Early Mornin' Rain
    3. 500 Miles
    4. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
    5. Settle Down (Goin' Down That Highway)
    6. San Francisco Bay Blues
    7. Puff (The Magic Dragon)
    8. Lemon Tree
    9. Hush-A-Bye
    10. Day Is Done
    11. I Dig Rock And Roll Music
    12. A Soalin'
    13. All My Trials
    14. Gone The Rainbow
    15. Tell It On The Mountain
    16. Cruel War
    17. Where Have All The Flowers Gone
    18. If I Had A Hammer
    19. Blowin' In The Wind
    20. This Land Is Your Land

It seems odd to have a 20 track "Very Best of" and leave off "Stewball", "For Lovin' Me" and "Too Much of Nothing" ... but I guess these weren't hits in Japan ... the insert booklet contains the words to all 20 songs in English and Japanese.

7. Khorn

OK Steve, There's a project for ya! I wonder what the market would be today?

8. Ed Bishop

That would seem to be a keeper, Chip! In Japan, judging by the discs I have on various labels, they used either their own tape sources or unprocessed masters sent from the US, and so didn't issue the digital remixing and other stuff that happened over here. A nice score, unless I'm mistaken:thumbsup:

9. sgraham

sgraham New Member

And they're way too bright. The original LPs have tube magick! Utterly gone from the CDs.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, agreed. Not a good attempt. Too bad they didn't just use the original masters instead of remixing.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Me Too!
    I believe Peter Yarrow was involved with the PPM reissues...

12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I'm always surprised how relatively easy it is to find those Gold Label WB Peter, Paul & Mary LPs -- used, but in great playing condition -- relative to vinyl from other pop artists of that vintage. I guess folkies kept better care of their records.

Jim W.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Anyone hear the Readers Digest Cee Dee Set? I know it has the most wanted "Wedding Song"

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Funny you should mention this album - I picked it up on cassette the other day to play in the car, and it sounds great. I had 4 or 5 Peter Paul and Mary LPs in the late Sixties, and my brother and I were big fans. I went off them later on, but it's been wonderful revisiting them just recently.

Tower are cleaning out their cassettes at 3 for $10 so I bought a dozen old classics to listen to while driving around - early Springsteen, Neil Young, Dylan, etc. They sound terrific and immediate in the car - there is something about analogue.

I'm driving around, singing Peter, Paul and Mary songs at the top of my voice. What a hoot. Even "Puff the Magic Dragon". How about "I Dig Rock and Roll Music" - that's a pretty unusual number for them.

Regards,
    Geoff

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

A humorous parody/commentary on the vacuousness of commercial radio and pop music, but became a huge Top 10 Hit anyway.

Jim W.

16. Ed Bishop

The truth? It was a parody/cheapshot against the inevitable trend toward psychedelia and sonic studio tricks the Beatles had introduced, coupled with envy toward the Mamas & Papas making more of harmony than PP&M ever did(commercially).

I'd like to think the whole thing was a kind of joke, but after Monterey and the very notion the folkies had heard electric Dylan, Love, The Doors, REVOLVER & SGT. PEPPER, I think they saw their pop decline, well....IN THE WIND:rolleyes:

17. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

I have this CD (although pressed in Hong Kong) and after reading a thread here about the song A Soalin' (someone looking for a dry version heard on the radio) I played this and concluded it has added echo.

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Reader's Digest set does have the added echo on the PP&M tracks, but buy it for the solo disc anyway and at www.noelpaulstookey.com, Paul does have his solo albums on CD.

19. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

I have been searching high and low for ANY CD source that contains the original PPM mixes, not the echoed remixes. The differences in the mixes are not subtle at all. The original LP mixes from the 60s are very dry while the CDs are drenched in echo.

To my knowledge, the original mixes are completely unavailable on CD. However, I am intrigued by the above comments regarding the Japan Very Best Of comp.

Has anyone compared this Japan comp against the domestic "echoed" CDs? I may try to track this one down if it does indeed contain the original mixes.

20. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The wife was looking for a good PPM compilation a few years ago and we found a German pressing of 10 years together (flat green label) in a used record store.

Good sound on that one. :thumbsup:

21. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

As a result of Ragu's comment, I listened again to the Japanese CD that I referred to above, using headphones this time ... unfortunately, I did hear echo to various degrees on 13 of the tracks including "A Soalin' ":( ... but I didn't hear echo on tracks 2, 4, 6, 9, 13, 15 and 19 ... so it's a mixed bag.

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

We can always rely on Ed for the straight dope. Come to think of it now, I do recall reading somewhere that Peter Yarrow was pretty upset when Dylan "plugged in".

Jim W.

23. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Steve,

You REALLY should get/borrow a copy of this from someone to listen again!

This is a "best of...worst of" deal for me. Put on the "ole" headphones (or listen in a quiet area) and you can easily pick out the tracks that BOB NORBERG had a (heavy) hand in!

The tracks with some hiss sound nice and alive...the tracks without...

have been "Norbergered" to lifelessness!

Everybody who has this disc should give a listen to see what I mean, and hear for youself, why Bob Norberg does NOT help the music!

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The 10 Best Kingston Trio CD sounds excellent throughout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.