50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. TonyClifton63

TonyClifton63 Forum Resident

Nice! I'm assuming you have a low number. I'm curious how many boxes were made?

2. peluca97

peluca97 Active Member

the version to "happiness is a warm gun" (esher) is the same to the anthology? because is more short

tinnox likes this.
  3. 5ft 9"

tinnox, Ben Adams and TonyClifton63 like this.
  4. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Yes, the new one is double tracked and doesn't have the false start at the beginning.

tinnox likes this.
  5. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

It could be different transfers of the same tape. They will not play back precisely at the same speed.

6. peluca97

peluca97 Active Member

yeah, its true... any more difference to the official (esher) with the anthology tracks or the bootlegs?

tinnox likes this.
  7. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Hope everyone who has them is enjoying their WA 50th boxes so far. I'll be waiting for it to land on streaming services tonight to hear it in full.

8. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Is it me or is that poster different to the original, something seems a bit off ??

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The original is bigger??

taramark, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

no it looks 'whiter' than i remember mine has it been censored for today's audience ?

tinnox and John Bliss like this.
  11. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Played most of it today. 2018 CD remix sounds great! The best I've ever heard this album sound. I don't have DVD hardware but will be curious for a review of the 5.1 mix to know if it has things in that mix that aren't on the common stereo mix. As for outtakes, lots of good stuff. The jawdroppers for me are the early takes of Good Night with John's Dear Prudence style picking and the piano backed demo. Take 17 of Helter Skelter is a killer as is the heavy early rough mix of the Revolution 45 version.
    As I expected Take 18 of Rev 1 just doesn't cut the (Mean Mr.) mustard for me. It's missing too many overdubs that made take 20 so awesome but it's cool to hear Paul's backing vocals on Take 18 as well as mellotron near the end. I would have much preferred not including tracks that have already been issued on Anthology 3 and instead included the Peter Sellers tape alternate mixes in addition to finished alternate mixes of Dear Prudence, I'm So Tired etc that have circulated. Not too many 'finished' alternate takes or mixes on Discs 4-6 as I would have liked (especially Hey Jude) but overall a great package that should exceed most people's expectations.

The Band, tinnox and hallucalation like this.
  12. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

After a few listens, Piggies is my favorite remix.

tinnox and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The 5.1 is a treat as well. The hogs and swines creep up from behind at some point.

pablo fanques, tinnox and Octavian like this.
  14. You do know that a strike is a good thing if you are a pitcher.

So worse than Pepper? Hope not as the Pepper remix was awful

delmonaco and tinnox like this.
  15. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Certainly it looks like someone got their sports messed up.

tinnox and Mazzy like this.
  16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I started with disc 4, the sessions.

The full band “Good Night” (take 10), with the group harmonizing. Holy crap.

Has a guitar picking pattern very reminiscent of “Dear Prudence” (though this seems to have been created by putting it together with a guitar from take 3),

Ringo: “Daddy went a little crazy!!!”

17. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

Ok. I have spent the last couple of days listening to 'context' music, putting the album in its time. It still stands out for me, head and shoulders. However it made me consider what other albums that transcend their time. Albums that just play beautifully today. I am fortunate enough to have a millennial wife, and she instantly responds to some of my music, some not, so remains my indicator. Mmmmm, suddenly think this might need its own thread. Sorry guys, will see you in another universe. But right now I am diving into the great white beyond...number nine, number nine in five.one

18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I haven't got mine yet. But I've heard 40-50 of the 107 tracks. It's a lot hipper than the Sgt Pepper 50th last year.

Which was ok, but the new WA mixes are much better Imo, than last year's new Pepper mixes. The bonus tracks this year, are mostly a lot more interesting !

2 NEW music videos is fantastic ! Will there be a 3rd ? I wonder.

Whether it be animated or old 68 footage edited together, it'd be nice to get one more focusing on India.

As important as the India story is to the whole thing ( it could be it's own film, documentary etc ). It's not really in the visuals, marketing or included, beyond thaadmission-historical explanation, that, The Beatles went there first, & wrote most of the material there.

One last thought, as big as this project is, they included several more of the early 68 songs, the Esher demos, & thank God made 2 new videos.

It's pretty easy to believe insiders like Nikh, Ron & Carerra etc. When they talk about doing some of the albums as doubles, Deluxe twofers,

Mystery Tour+Yellow Sub or Rubber Soul+Revolver or whatever. As vast as this White 50 is, they included Esher, early 68 songs, 70 bonus tracks, so making some of the shorter, slimmer albums the twofer 1 deluxe seems like a reasonable guess.

But apparently we're getting Deluxe Abbey Road in 2019 & Let It Be-remix, bonus tracks & film presumably in 2020. Before any of that happens.

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I like a lot of music. I love less than I like, but still a lot.

It's been a while since I've sat in the dark amazed by what I'm hearing. Completely drawn into it and unable or unwilling to divert my attention to anything else. That this could happen with material that I have poured over on dozens upon dozens of listens over the past 30 years is a testament to the strength and quality of this remix. It is stunning. The White Album finally sounds like a cohesive, coherent, unified statement of purpose rather than a collection of odd, disconnected songs peppered with odd, disjointed sounds and effects.

I had not viewed the White Album with the same high esteem that some around here have for it. That was a mistake on my part. Before, I liked some of the songs on it, disliked others, and held no strong opinion of others still. Tonight, there are still songs that I like more than others, and one "song" that I still completely dislike, but viewed as an entire work in this moment as presented here in its 2018 form, it's hard not to see it as The Beatles' crowning achievement.

Is the remix of every song an objective "improvement" over my previous go-to version of that song (be it mono or stereo)? I'm not ready to say that yet. While My Guitar... is a particular disappointment when compared to the mono, for example. But the remix of this song, in the context of the rest of the album in its remixed form, fits right in and makes sense. That's true for every song, and I can't say that for either other previous version.

Thank you Beatles. Thank you Giles. I got to have a brand new experience with a band that I've been listening to for decades that hasn't recorded together in half a century. This remix is a gift.

jricc, winston32, evilpants and 23 others like this.
  20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Be careful...or you'll become naked! :D

21. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I'm taking it as that's a good thing?

22. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Does anyone have some alternate custom covers for this set, maybe one like this but resized into a square?

tinnox likes this.
  23. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

So many accolades could be put forth. I've listened to this album a lot over the past 50 years. This remix is a totally new listening experience. To my ears, nothing about the album has been degraded or corrupted. It does, however, offer a fascinating display of nuance that I'm clearly hearing for the first time. They've taken a wonderful album and succeeded in presenting it in a fresh, new way. It works! A really valid and welcome remix.

Now, on to the session stuff...

24. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

One's coming soon. Mark Lewisohn just travelled to India with a documentary team.

The Band, ODIrony, tinnox and 3 others like this.
  25. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Everything is going white!

tinnox likes this.