50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

So, was it confirmed that Giles didn’t do anything to Rev 9, because it sounds like it’s been polished at least

andrewskyDE, tinnox and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  2. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Yeah, I really hate it when we’re given a completely new track. The cads!

tinnox and FJFP like this.
  3. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

Sorry if this is answered upthread but are all of these tracks on the blu ray? I’d read the press release as meaning that only the remix was plus the mono were on the blu ray.

Thanks

Denis

tinnox likes this.
  4. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Well shoot. In my heart I didn’t think the White Album would benefit from a remix. And after finding the Pepper remix to have some problems (both in the mastering and in the mixing decisions), I fully expected this remix to be a one time listen and then throw it in a drawer to never be seen again.

I was wrong. This is great work. A massive improvement over the Pepper remix. The bass and drums are powerful without overloading the tracks. Vocals are often moved forward to excellent effect. It’s wonderfully engaging. The mastering sounds better too. It sounds like Giles learned a few things from the Pepper experience and we all get to benefit.

I haven’t even made it to the other discs yet because I keep listening to the remix.

Grant, zobalob, evilpants and 14 others like this.
  5. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

The Dear Prudence remix... WOW.

6. Only on Spotify but you can tell the difference massively.

tinnox, andy75 and coffeetime like this.
  7. Good isn't it :)

tinnox and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

It might be a few days or weeks till I get my box set but I do want to listen to the new mix tomorrow.

Thinking of grabbing the vinyl at the store till my box comes in. Any reviews on the vinyl? Is it a digital transfer or analog?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  9. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

The new remix of Birthday makes that song actually listenable for me. Giles did a fantastic job on this project.

10. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

wow.. that full 12 minute Helter Skelter rehearsal take.. It's like Paul doing his own version of the Plastic Ono Band album 2 years early.

File under: lumbering minimalism, along with 'Well Well Well'

And how about those alternate lyrics??

"When I get to the bottom, I go back to the top of the hill
    Where I stop, and I turn, and I give you a pill
    And I know that I'll meet at the bottom AGAAIN..."

11. My God this is a fantastic remix. I'm loving it. Is it audiophile? Who cares!? :D

Grant, 905, The Band and 9 others like this.
  12. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Same thing happened to me tonite with "This Was 50th": by Jethro Tull. I'm like..."I don't want it"

daveidmarx, fogalu and tinnox like this.
  13. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Same here ... started with the remix on headphones and nearly thru.

"Dear Prudence" and "I'm So Tired" are pretty sensational.
    I even like "Obla Di Obla Da" now.

So I'm currently only on disc 2 ... 4 more to go ... I won't be doing anything else at the weekend than exploring the deluxe :cool:

Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.
  14. Mesozoic Mike

Mesozoic Mike Forum Resident

Got mine today. Just the stereo cds are a revelation. Can't wait to listen to the bluray 5.1. Amazing how great this sounds. :pineapple::edthumbs:

15. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Tidal has the whole shooting match streaming in glorious Master quality. Listening now to remix via headphones (It's 2 AM). Be prepared to be happy.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  16. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I’m loving the positivity in here today! I’m still yet to receive my copy or hear it, but have the day off and as soon as I get back from taking the wife to work, it’s White Album central.

This is my favourite album ever so I feel a religious experience is coming!

I’ve read every single post in this thread, been on here every day since the start and now it’s finally the day. Delighted for all of us to finally share in this thing. Have a great day all and enjoy!!!

17. Helter Shelter just WOW!

18. koshrecords

koshrecords NZ-based Xennial, Manics expert

Enjoying it so far. But I was in another room when Wild Honey Pie played, and it sounded really screwed up from there. Out of tune? Maybe it's my ears.

tinnox likes this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Nah I noticed it on the Andre Gardner show. They really laid the wobbly ADT and reverb on thick for this mix. Definitely stands out!

905 and tinnox like this.
  20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I just finished listening to the whole remix album on Spotify. My initial thoughts that stood out to me:

1. Overall I didn't hate it like I do the Pepper remix.
    2. Mother Nature's Son and Birthday jumped out to me as overall better sounding and a more enjoyable mix.

there, I started with the positives

3. Overall there isn't much standing out to me as particularly better, or jumping out as sounding especially great -- as the whole cohesive track. Meaning like the vocals in Revolution 1, Long, Long, Long, Savoy Truffle, a few others sound better--but to me enough of the overall character of those songs, or important (to me) instrumental features, and feeling they instilled, have been ruined as to negate any of the positives that were added by the remix.
    4. It really bothers me that Revolution 1 doesn't have the dueling horns in the right countering the stabbing guitar in the left during the "alright" sections. The song was homogenized. Savoy Truffle (my favorite track on the album) was homogenized too, all the dirty power and grit was sucked right out of it.
    5. I absolutely hate everything that was done to Cry Baby Cry, the worst remix by far on the whole album.
    6. The complete album might sound more "cohesive" now, but I don't consider that a good thing. Cohesive isn't what has always made the white album great. Wide variety and individualized moods created within songs is what has made the album great for me. A big part of those feelings was not present anymore when I finished listening to the remix.
    7. I'm not impressed in the least with the remix, except surprised that it's not worse than it is.

I'm going to wait for the actual discs to arrive before listening to any of the rest of the set.

Chris M, tinnox, tezca and 1 other person like this.
  21. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Everybody’s Got Something To Hide ‘Cept For Me and my Remix. Crank it! Can’t wait to lose these headphones and unleash on world.

Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.
  22. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

In other words: You can’t get past the original.

Consider this: What if this new remix was the one released in 1968 and the original appeared now? What do you then think you would prefer?

The moaning has begun...

zobalob, 905, evilpants and 15 others like this.
  23. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Wonder why Goodbye wasn't included?

tinnox likes this.
  24. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Was recorded in 1969 I think

Grant, tinnox and Gila like this.
  25. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Ah but when 'I don't hate it' is described as a positive you know this isn't going to go well:D