50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Isn't it "thrill" instead of pill?

Just like with original mono/stereo mixes, I think it will be also "depends on the song" in this case. So far I just skipped around and some of the tracks are awesome. Others are really baffling and contain typical Giles-isms like a small bit that is missing or not even there - some of them are going to be If I Fell / Ballad of John and Yoko all over again. Can't wait! :D

Also it seems even though they stated that they approached this song by song, they ignored a lot of cool things that were in the mono mixes, unfortunately, and based it mostly on original stereo mixes.

tinnox likes this.
  2. shygurudave

shygurudave Forum Resident

The new mix was made from hi- res transfers of the vintage multi- tracks, so as far as I understand it, it has to be digital. The new mix only exists in that domain.
    I think...

Adam Schellin, tinnox and MRamble like this.
  3. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

My first impression: mixed bag it is.
    Some mixes are really great (Helter Skelter, Dear Prudence), but what on earth happened to Wild Honey Pie?? It's simply unlistenable , completely out of tune, just bloody awful...

dvakman, tinnox and Gila like this.
  4. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Amazon UK have now reduced delivery time to before 9pm. That's 2 hours earlier. In reality it will probably be before that. Won't be home until around 7pm anyway. Have tomorrow off. I think tonight may be an all-nighter!

The calm before the storm...

marmalade166, tinnox and coffeetime like this.
  5. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Ah makes sense. Thanks very much!

Still curious to read how people like the vinyl...

Stu02, tinnox and shygurudave like this.
  6. Bonzodog

Bonzodog Forum Resident

It's the 9th!!!

Happy White Album 50th Anniversary folks :)

7. shygurudave

Yeah...me too
    Have only heard it streaming so far, but I like it!!! I think it is great that we have the new mix but can always listen to the old stereo or mono versions too.
    They won't go out of print I'm sure. It's just a bit of new light through an old window...and I for one am grateful to hear it.
    Who else but The Beatles could get so many grown men worked up about a fifty year old album?
    I am less than five minutes away from the Cavern Club as I write...and to think of how they went from there to Rishikesh and beyond in a little over five years never fails to amaze me.
    Have a beautifully White day everyone:goodie:

The Band, Shaddam IV, Eska68 and 14 others like this.
  8. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Up to Bungalow Bill - this track (my least favourite on the album) sounds great! Wild Honey Pie however was a weird experience - was there a bunch of pitch wobble on the guitars especially in the left?

Pretty.Odd. and tinnox like this.
  9. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

Why don't you like the remixed "Cry Baby Cry"? I haven't heard the 2018 version yet, will get my set Friday afternoon, "Cry" is one of my top 3 fave tracks on the original album.

tinnox likes this.
  10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

This is my favorite Beatles album & I am so looking forward to listening to everything in the deluxe set tomorrow (Friday). I have boycotted listening to anything by the Beatles over the past two weeks to prepare for it.

yardbuzzard, tinnox and Beatle Ed like this.
  11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Happy 9th everyone! The White Album 50 is finally here!! Starting with the Esher Demos :)

@tinnox - thanks for this amazing thread. Now that the release is out, I am thinking we create new post-release threads to cover each major part (Esher, Remix, Outtakes) of this massive release?

12. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Strictly speaking that would be the 22nd.

13. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

No 0129863 is mine. Happy listening everybody :)

14. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

For me the strings are too prominent and the piano, in parts, too 'tinkly'....then the cymbals and guitars in parts just jump up. Startlingly so. TOO elaborate overall. Buggered up a great song. Dreadful

applebonkerz and tinnox like this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Written and recorded in 1969

yardbuzzard, tinnox and Yovra like this.
  16. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Everyone raving about Dear Prudence....no-one finds the drums just too 'flat' when they come in? Something off to them to me. NOW - Helter Skelter - STUPENDOUS. And the drum sounds in Long, Long, Long - 000h yeah!!! THAT'S a great sound!

tinnox likes this.
  17. shygurudave

Yeah...Macca's wild drum part at the end is a bit recessed now, and not as noticeable. Overall though, it's a great mix IMHO.
    Guitars and harmony vocals are amazing...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  18. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The I’m So Tired Remix is pretty cool, but the drum fills don’t have the power of the original sadly, which is a contrast to the rest of the mix.

tinnox likes this.
  19. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

So, is the numbering on the covers unique to each edition? Are usual CDs numbered? So far, I've seen info that the deluxe boxes are numbered.

tinnox likes this.
  20. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Does anyone hear crackle/click noise in Happiness Is a Warm gun on "she's not a girl"?
    It's sort of like original CD Helter Skelter glitch but quieter. And it's in the HD version as well.

tinnox likes this.
  21. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I have the vinyl. As some might expect, I am not one of those guys who keep nitpicking that every bugger The Beatles may have left on the floor of Abbey Road should be heard or bought upfront. The vinyl is a flat noise-free experience with great dynamics. Everything sounds well-balanced throughout. That’s it.

22. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

This 12+minutes version of Helter Skelter is a drag, utterly boring stuff. Big dissapointment.

Gila and tinnox like this.
  23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Just imagine what the 27 minute version is like

sonnyrock, 905, The Band and 11 others like this.
  24. Bonzodog

Bonzodog Forum Resident

Any, you got me on a technicality :)

tinnox likes this.
  25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The remix is a pain... the original mix is so much better!

applebonkerz and tinnox like this.