50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Hoping the mail deliver takes the time to make the journey down the driveway and drop it off...lots of time I get "cards" telling me to go to the Post Office the next day to get it.
    It's ALL WHITE outside with a nice blanket of snow. Very appropriate!

Bern

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  2. Marcust99

Marcust99 Forum Resident

As it is also all on Spotify.....

Bevok and tinnox like this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Nice thing that they weren’t afraid of tape hiss.

jjjos and tinnox like this.
  4. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

5. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Sort of surprised they did that....

tinnox likes this.
  6. They never do. They're not allowed to, I suppose. Which is why they're a waste of time. As if those expensive deluxe sets were not meant for fans interested in sound and minute details...

tinnox and scotti like this.
  7. [​IMG]

Let the fun begin!

8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Mine should be here by 3 PM and like you even though I owned this since I was 12 have managed not to hear a single snippet of the new set. I did play this last month since I had it since 1993.

[​IMG]

9. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

So WHY didn’t they put on the 27 minute version!

10. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

When you say Giles I think you should add Paul/Ringo/Yoko/Olivia. They signed off on the project and are therefore as much 'guilty' of any perceived mistakes with the remix or not getting the 'original joke' lies with them all as a collective.

ODIrony, tinnox and marmalade166 like this.
  11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

For me, the big difference is how the drums kick in after John’s count-in....on the originals, they make an impact and get the track going. On the remix (first listen), I found their entry bit weaker in relation.....similar to how I felt about the drums coming in on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Unlike his recent remixes (1+ & Pepper), I felt like Giles has kept the drums a bit down on the new White Album. A bit of change in style/approach.....personally, I prefer Ringo bit up the mix (love his playing around this time).

12. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

According to Giles Martin, even more of the same plodding on the 27 minute version. I have zero desire to hear it.

13. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Just getting into the whole content...

Although only 49 seconds long, You're so square is one of the gems of this set. It almost shows you how they sounded back in their Hamburg days!

Does anybody know about the session for this one? It was obviously recorded at the end of a take, Helter Skelter perhaps?

The Band, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  14. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Well I might as well waited. Amazon combined it with other orders and it won't get here till next week :realmad:

Ladyland and lost chord coming today.

tinnox likes this.
  15. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Anyone have an image of the Esher demos album cover? To be used for iTunes?

andrewskyDE, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  16. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I see...I guess I'm very use to the older stereo mix which isn't a surprise.

tinnox and Kim Olesen like this.
  17. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Ok, now that we all have listened to and well digested the WA50 box, it's time to move on and gather on the Abbey Road 50th all-thing-beatles thread...

ODIrony, tinnox and Bern like this.
  18. Bern

Bern JC4Me

533 more posts until 30,000. Nice run guys!

19. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I listened to the hi-res super deluxe of the album over cans around 3AM. Surprisingly, I made it all the way to Revolution 1 before passing out! I really liked what I heard in most cases. I didn’t take notes or anything, but there were many strong points. There were also a handful of strange choices that I wouldn’t agree with, and a couple of instances where I left thinking either of the original mixes are still better. This is a big step up from the Pepper remix IMO, which didn’t do much to lure me away from the original mono mix for more than a handful of listens.

One thing I’d like to note: it appears the album was actually mixed from new high resolution transfers of the multitrack tapes, lending some credence to the theory that Pepper was mixed using 24/48 transfers originally made for the LOVE project (and thus possibly mixed far prior to 2017)

20. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

First time I really enjoyed Mary Jane
    Crazy ain't it?
    With all its India motifs, I wonder if this wasn't really directed at the Maha

21. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Yup. I noticed that, too.
    That's how it's going to be labelled in my iTunes.

tinnox likes this.
  22. John Inglis

John Inglis Well-Known Member

my super deluxe from Japan Amazon is in transit
    to arrive in the mid west US Tuesday

Mr. H and tinnox like this.
  23. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

All the Pepper versions were up on Spotify Day 1 as well.

tinnox likes this.
  24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Nope, only the 2-edition was. The boxset's 4 cd:s were added later (this fall) to Spotify.

tinnox and Bern like this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry, I cancelled my order after hearing a friends copy of the three disc set earlier this week. I won't be buying any of these 2018 remaster sets of The White Album. I found the 2009 issue of this album too compressed and this new one is even more compressed than that.

Glad to hear so many of you are enjoying it, though!

tinnox and tezca like this.