50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Well it was made using a solid state console but that alone doesn't explain the relatively huge amount of hiss. I've just remembered there's a new mix of Something on 1+ and that definitely has less hiss than the original, although it's still noticeable. It does have some weird distortions that aren't present in the original mix though, e.g. drum hit and guitar strum after "Attracts me like no other lover". I don't hear those distortions on the Rock Band multitracks either so who knows why they exist in the 1+ stereo and 5.1 mixes.

tinnox likes this.
  2. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

I thought it was like a cross between Post Office (back then telegrams were often used to get messages through before there were answering machines on phones), and a play on Bed & Breakfast (B&B), which rhymes nicely with "tea"

Derek Slazenger and tinnox like this.
  3. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I’m surprised. To me the local Bird and Bee is so obviously a pub. Interesting to hear so many interpretations.

Is there a US/Brit line here?

4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I always took it to be a pub. And I’m British.

5. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

Putting on the 4 LP set just saying, it’s soooo good !

Shaddam IV, Drewzel, jlf and 3 others like this.
  7. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

So finally had an optimum listening night for the remix discs ( empty house etc) and ..
    I really enjoyed this new version , some songs noticeably crisper and harder guitars , johns songs and vocals really shining thru , favourite new mix being dear prudence and cry baby cry .
    Dont think it will displace the original mono mix for me , but a lot of fun . Certainly prefer to the standard stereo mix .
    Pleasantly surprised :targettiphat:
    Might try and grab a vinyl copy now too

bluejimbop, DragonQ and tinnox like this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just sharing this.

taramark, tinnox and StateOfTheArt like this.
  9. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

"The local bird and bee" implies that it isn't a pub to me. Every town would have to have a pub called The Bird & Bee for that to make sense. I think it's just a nonsense line based on B&B as in 'bed and breakfast' (guest house).

tinnox likes this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Where’s this bleeding white vinyl version for Christmas, then? It’s well into December !

11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I think your logic is flawed on the first sentence as not every pub would have to be named The Bird and Bee. The bird and bee could be a pub in just one town, but Lennon could be referring to the name generically, as in your local pub (whatever its name) which is like my local pub named The Bird and Be.
    But I do agree with your second sentence. I've always thought it was a Lennon nonsense line based on B & B (bed and breakfast). The idea of a local 5 and dime (local variety store) also comes to mind.

Dugan, tinnox and Bern like this.
  12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Yeah, most definitely a pub. I'm English, trust me. :agree:

13. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I'm from the Philippines. I first heard the song when I was seven. Back then I knew "the local Bird and Bee" was referring to a pub.

tinnox, NumberEight and forthlin like this.
  14. thrivingonariff

My father was a publican. I was born and raised in a pub. It's a pub.

15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

It's hard to believe they won't offer this, isn't it? Maybe this is something for after the first of the year?

16. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Yeah I think Dear Prudence and Cry Baby Cry are much improved too. :righton:

Morton LaBongo, Gavaxeman and tinnox like this.
  17. Derek Slazenger

I'm amazed! A complete no-brainer. I'd LOVE a white vinyl copy :)

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

They could have made the remix in the box set white and increased its desirability while leaving the standalone black.

19. Derek Slazenger

That would have been cruel! But yeah, an all-white vinyl box would have been absolutely mega. A limited, numbered, white vinyl standalone will do me now though. Surely they have to do it at some point? I mean, c'moooooooooooooooooooooon.....surely?! How can they possibly not?!! :biglaugh:

Gavaxeman, tinnox and forthlin like this.
  20. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Yeah, but it is meant as “the local (insert generic pub name)”. Not that they would all literally have that name.

21. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

That's what I said!

Reminds me of the story of Jimmy Page & Peter Grant sending umpteen dozen telegrams to John Bonham's local pub trying to lure him into joining the "New Yardbirds"

tinnox likes this.
  22. thrivingonariff

Not to mention the metrical consideration (i.e., "local" is padding).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  23. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I believe it was confirmed by one of our insiders that there will not be a colored vinyl pressing of the remix.

tinnox likes this.
  24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

FWIW, from: BRITGUIDE---an introduction to Britishisms in the Beatles' Lyrics

"The local Bird and Bee - a typical-sounding name (The Bird and Bee) for a local pub, in this case an imaginary one to fit the imaginary kingdom about which Lennon writes. It's also common to use the term "the local" for same, as in "I'm just off down the local for a quick half" ( = half-pint of beer, lager, bitter, etc.)."

tinnox likes this.
  25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

What's the mystery? Local = Pub, Bird & Bee= cheeky Lennonism for pub (with a side of innuendo).

Drifter, tinnox and petem1966 like this.