50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Nope! :laugh:

2. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

He should SO do this!! How viral would that be the next day!

Mr. Explorer and tinnox like this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

AMZ USA has dropped their price on the 6 CD + Blu set by about $35!

Digital-G, ODIrony, Lownote30 and 5 others like this.
  4. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

There's a lot of mention of Giles Martin, as if he alone mixed and compiled these. I feel like some credit should be thrown Sam Okell's way too. He's even in the promo videos!

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Hopefully they'll go down some more because they're my top choice far as ordering; I find them very easy and reliable to deal with far as exchanges in case of a defective product. In fact, they're very understanding for any number of issues concerning customer dissatisfaction.

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Same as last year.^^

Gila and tinnox like this.
  7. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

I'll pay a little extra to support companies that take the time to package and ship properly the first time (not to mention the issues I have with how they treat workers, but that's a whole other ball 'o wax!) Amazon couldn't ship a package without the contents being beaten to crap if the fate of the world depended on it. But you're right, their customer service phone reps are very pleasant to speak with usually.

8. I seem to remember that too—at least about the drumming on Dear Prudence. Too bad Ken Scott bailed from the forum. It was really cool talking with him.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Mr. Explorer, autumn daze and tinnox like this.
  9. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Thank you for this! Just placed my order.

Can't wait till this gets here.

tinnox likes this.
  10. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I have almost never had a problem with Amazon shipping and never had a problem with customer service or returns.

ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  11. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

:laugh: Yes, he might have talked about being a working-class hero, but he lived like a venture capitalist.

12. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

I thought the non-SHM CD version of Pepper re-mix was too loud and would've paid more for a more dynamic / less compressed recording. What do people think of the SHM discs for that recording - were they worth the $ premium, sound-wise? If yes, I’ll order the SHM version of the White Album - Super Deluxe Edition from Japan to get better sound.

Groovy and tinnox like this.
  13. Fivebyfive

Then it's a brilliant mess. Sometimes precision isn't what's called for on the song. Kinda like John's sloppy bass suits Helter Skelter.

Mr. Explorer, Mosthaf, tages and 2 others like this.
  14. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

:unhunh:

15. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

$145.34!

ODIrony, Nems, tinnox and 1 other person like this.
  16. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Actually, the released version of Helter Skelter has Paul on bass. John played bass on the early slow takes.

Ondra

Gila, nasa09, tinnox and 1 other person like this.
  17. Nems

Nems Forum Resident

Is it a brilliant sloppy bass on the released version?

tinnox likes this.
  18. Fivebyfive

That's not what Lewisohn's Recording Sessions book says but maybe that was one of the "mistakes" Mark was talking about recently that he wants to correct?

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Well..it definitely "works". But it's hard for me to imagine what Paul wanted Ringo to do that was so different from what he ended up doing.

tinnox likes this.
  20. Brother Nerk

Brother Nerk Forum Resident

I agree. I don't knock anyone who has to watch their pennies or are frugal. I'm often frugal. But Beatles is my passion and my hobby. I bought over 100 vinyl boots of the band and solos starting about 1978. Many CDs after that until I found it's all freely available. If the artists had been selling this stuff I would have preferred to pay them. As it is I bought the White reissue from The Beatles Store, wanting them to get the profit Amazon would have gotten. If Giles would call me and say I've got more, how much per song would you pay I'd probably go to $10 a song. The only way they will be incentivized to keep releasing is if it's lucrative. If they don't, and it's available elsewhere, well I'm not sitting in the corner at an orgy. Call me an ultra-fan. Casual fans are encouraged to see things differently.

21. Onder

Onder Senior Member

It was forum member @Ern that has discovered this little in between takes (the released version) dialogue where Paul is instructing his band mates and he's obviously accompanying himself on bass.
    So yeah, it is one of the mistakes in Mark Lewisohn's book. But still one of the best book about The Beatles ever written.

Ondra

22. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

We make assumptions about all sorts of things in life. That was a perfectly reasonable one to make. Not everyone will have heard these demos. Rolling Stone use hyperbole and over-simplification to make a point. I detect agression in your tone though, for some reason.. Whatever.

Mr. Explorer, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  23. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Yeah, Paul does some great drums on USSR. And I love Ringo.

24. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

Since this has gone off-topic somewhat (my fault!) I’ll just say I’m very envious of your experiences, as I imagine are many other people. Doesn’t change my own experiences or my opinion of Amazon.

Mr. Explorer, Mosthaf and tinnox like this.
  25. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Well, playing a little "What if", I think the Yellow Submarine problem could have been solved if EMI had left Capitol to do their thing. I mean, they finally nailed it with the MMT album, why not repeat the process with YS: complete the soundtrack songs with the stray songs from 1968: So, Side 1 would be the same, and side 2 would comprise Lady Madonna, The Inner Light, Across the Universe (I know it wasn't released until late 1969, but it wouldn't be the first time Capitol got an unreleased song first), Hey Jude and Revolution. Not a bad album :shh:

I remember them in Apollo XIII, on Tom Hanks' daughter's bedroom wall. She is crying in the scene because she just heard the Beatles have split. She's shouting "I hate Paul!" :D