9 hours from monetizing my YouTube channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I've had a handful of reactions by the original artists, and other than Prince, they've all been positive. My favorite was my interaction with guitarist Richard Lloyd's wife Sheila on this cover of Marquee Moon by the band Television:

Richard even offered free remote instruction to the kid playing his guitar part.

Are you talking about the original recordings? I'm in a little bit of a different situation because I did all the production, so I'm getting paid for my labor for recording the shows.
    Eagles, Prince, Led Zeppelin (or possibly the heirs of whoever wrote the song that they covered) and reportedly Van Morrison, although I've never run afoul of him.

longdist01 and quicksrt like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

I have more than a dozen channels, some dating all the way back to the first year of YouTube, before they were bought by Google. Back then, we were just putting things up for fun. Some of the things I've put up, have been monetized by other entities, like this one:

I wish they'd let me update the quality of my older videos, but that's only an option if you're part of Vevo.
    Monetization was inevitable. I can't imagine how much it costs to host all these videos.

SandAndGlass, longdist01 and quicksrt like this.
  3. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Not familiar with her, but liked,:)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Steve Carras

Who IS she, by the way"

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Steve Carras

Blues Guitarist, on a label knwon as Rounder Records.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

This was fairly early in her career, at Knuckleheads Saloon in Kansas City. This might have been before she did any national tours.

longdist01 and Steve Carras like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Monetization got turned on sometime last night. Thank you everyone!

longdist01 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

When we watch embedded videos on this site, does that add to the view count?

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  9. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

A lot of the videos aren't getting a heck of a lot of views .......must be worth your time........how does it
    work with the performers?.....are they seeing anything from the monetized video?

10. Jakebacondigital

Jakebacondigital Active Member

Hey! I actually just made an account to post. My father uses this forum pretty regularly and sent me this thread because I am just about to be able to monetize my channel as well (tech reviews) .

I am having the same issue...my minutes watched is over 4000 hours but youtube Is still showing 3900 for me. The subscriber count seems to update more regularly but the watch hours seems to be slow by maybe even a few days?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Jakebacondigital

Don't you need to apply for it?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

I had, months before, and had to wait until I hit the requirements.

13. Chris DeVoe

I believe it does.

I originally started putting these videos up as samples for the parents to buy DVDs of these shows. But the DVD market disappeared, so last year I decided turn on monetization after I found I would edit an entire 2-hour show, and only sell one or two discs at $25 a piece. That was obviously insane.

I have more than 1,800 videos, and the vast majority of them probably only make a few pennies a month. I have one or two that make a reasonable amount of money, and for that I'm grateful.

if you look through the comments on my videos and on my channel, you'll see a bunch of comments from grateful parents who appreciated the fact that I captured their kids performance in professional quality, and I've provided them with material for free that they can use to apply to colleges and music schools. There's probably a dozen kids I know who've gotten into top end music schools like Berklee.

The two things seem to have different systems keeping track. YouTube Studio more accurately reflects than the AdSense server.

Getting AdSense set up was probably the hardest part of this entire thing, because you need to have a bank account linked and provide all the information so they can withhold taxes - Google gives me a 1099.

That's probably the most difficult issue, because each 1099 requires a Schedule C, and those are set up so each one is considered a separate corporation.

They've really not set this up to make things easy for those of us who get income from a number of different sources.

Good luck with your channel, and getting monetized!

HaileyMcComet and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. Jakebacondigital

Thank you! And how did you apply before that? Mine shows subscribers and watch hours and says they'll send me an email when I'm eligible to apply

15. Chris DeVoe

I'm on my phone at the moment, and when I get back to my desktop I'll look through what I did. I remember it was several evenings getting the AdSense account set up, linking the bank account and doing the tax information.

Jakebacondigital likes this.
  16. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin - That's quite ironic, considering... well you know.

Prince - was that from beyond the grave, or before?

That was quite a revelation. I had no idea how little someone was likely to make from so many views!

17. Chris DeVoe

It may have been whoever wrote the original song. One was Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You, and the audio for this performance was muted for several years.

The young woman singing got into Berklee, graduated and is currently teaching at the Chicago School of Rock.

This is one of the most incredible vocal performances I have ever recorded.
    While he was alive. Since then, I have not had any problems. The part that really hurt was that I lost all the comments on the video.
    I make three times as much for entirely original content - two thirds of the money goes to the original songwriters.

Andrew J and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.