A bad movie you've recently seen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shnaggletooth, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Me too. Lotta creatures; lotta dumb people.

My fave was the monarch chasing lady. Oops!

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Seen many over the years.
    This month I saw Greenland. Awful.
    Today I watched Old. Started okay but then became one eye rolling scene after another. I hope the graphic novel is better.

3. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Another Wolfcop - Just watched. Pure B-movie aspirations with every Canadian stereotype thrown into the plot about a beer that makes people give stomach birth into a monster, ala Alien. It was actually pretty funny, but sort of ran out of steam at the climax (at a Hockey Rink of course.) Maybe I should see the first one some time.

[​IMG]

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Love that film! The best time I ever saw it was with the World Science Fiction Convention in a ballroom with a packed audience full of people who absolutely loved the film. We were all whistling along the theme song, when Lizardo asked "Where are we going?" everybody shouted "PLANET 10!"

spencer1, Pizza and wayneklein like this.
  5. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Anyone who's not a fan of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension simply cannot be trusted. It's one of my desert island films.

It held my interest, barely.

And yeah, Gal Gadot....Oooff. Just painfully bad.

6. It’s too bad it doesn’t get the full Rocky Horror Picture Show approach now. My kids and I go around quoting the film especially when I am about to high five my son.I’llsay “what this”? You know the response.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Such an awesome movie. Jealous of the screening you got to see it at. That’s magical.

'05Train and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. I love the follow up question even more- “when will we get there”. ‘Real soon!”. Add in “I've been ionized, but I'm okay now” and Hey, now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cause, remember, no matter where you go, there you are” oh who I am Kidding. I love ALL the dialog.

'05Train and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've been to three Worldcons, two in Chicago, one in Kansas City. But the first one (1991's Chicon V) was definitely the most amazing one.

We had been on the Internet since 1988, but this was long before the average person had Internet access. Put it this way, there was a thing called the "@ Party", exclusively for those of us who had email addresses. A group small enough that the party was held in a single hotel room - not even a suite.

Panama Hotel, Mick Jones and Pizza like this.
  11. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

this is one of the greatest posters ever -when I was a kid I saw a TV ad for this and it freaked me out

Pizza and Paul Gase like this.
  12. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

This movie is a holiday tradition with my daughter. It's basically unwatchable.

[​IMG]

13. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I inherited my dad's DVD collection which consisted mostly of those compilations of 'lesser quality' sci-fi, western, and horror movies.

I'm going through one of the sci-fi ones now, and last night I watched one call "Unknown World", a B&W from 1951 which was about a group of scientists and a hanger-on driving to find a new utopia in the center of the world since they felt the Earth was about to obliterate itself. Yes, you can imagine how the modest production values affected overall quality heh.

Now that I think of it, it wasn't so bad as it was one of those 'so bad it's kind of good' movies. But, clearly, not a top-tier offering.

I loved that the head scientist created a group of egg-heads and called it "Society To Save Civilization"... and had that text painted proudly on their office door. A very lofty goal indeed.

Actually, we could use a group like that these days....hmmmmm.

14. John Wick 3. A real cinematic turd.

15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

[​IMG]

People can’t seem to understand that you need to run away from a big tarantula. You probably shouldn’t stand there in fear. But, this happens several times!

Fighter pilots shooting a few dozen rockets at the creature has no effect! So what’s the solution?

“Drop the Napalm!”

That’s right, Napalm saves the day in Tarantula!

SandAndGlass, jupiter8 and James RD like this.
  16. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Yes to all of that.
    Who this movie was supposed to appeal to, I don't know.

17. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

18. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

And who was one of the pilots? None other than Clint Eastwood in an early role!

19. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Don't Look Up (I should heeded the warnings).
    Sharknado III: Oh Hell No! was actually better.

[​IMG]

20. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident

Night Hunter on Netflix I believe. This movie was absolutely terrible not a believable moment in the whole movie. They used every possible psychological cliche in the book

21. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

Ian McKellen is in the movie for about 30 seconds- then you get to see a woman repeatedly running around empty streets. Terrible. It barely even qualifies as sci-fi.
    [​IMG]

22. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

This movie really stunk- after 10 minutes I had to start skipping ahead until eventually I'd skipped myself out of the movie entirely. DO not waste your time on this.

[​IMG]

23. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"A Very Long Engagement" (2004)...I know, I know, it's Jeunet and Tautou and it's big budget and whimsical and all the rest...I thought it shallow and show-offish, especially combined with the brutal WW1 scenes.
    The film felt like a big fat "Look at how good I am" from Jeunet, combined with his obsessive mooning over Audrey Tautou, and to top it off, it was too long for its purpose.

24. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It says so in the title!!!

Some people can't be pleased!

25. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Synecdoche, New York.

Just excruciating.

As I was watching, I thought: "This is like an awful, sideways version of Eternal Sunshine."

And sure enough, same writer, and he directed too! :shake:

I guess that's what can happen when you let a writer direct; the main character embodies what the writer/director did in making the film, and it's just the most self-indulgent, misogynistic, misanthropic, depressing, rambling, pointless "Screw you!" to an audience I've ever seen.

What I cannot for the life of me figure out is why the film is so praised.

Truly one of the worst movies I have EVER seen, and definitely the only time I've seen a movie so well-regarded that was just a colossal cinematic turd.

I mean, Blue Velvet is pretty awful in many ways, but it's beautifully executed awful, and riveting to boot!

Total, agonizing waste of so much time & talent; ugh.

The dude basically took what might be an interesting Twilight Zone episode, then stripped out the humor, the charm, any point or insight, any sympathetic characters, and extruded it into what felt like a 6 hour film that never arrives anywhere.

Just awful.

Did I mention I didn't like it...? o_O