A bad movie you've recently seen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shnaggletooth, Mar 29, 2021.

1. SSoundLtd

SSoundLtd Forum Resident

Replicas with Keanu Reeves on Netflix. I got roped into watching it because of the quick trailer as I was browsing. Just an all around dumb movie.
    A movie that is really bad but I like it anyway from my youth I revisted recently was Tarzan the Ape Man with Bo Derek. Holy cow she was gorgeous but she could...not...act. However the film is almost worth watching for the gorgeous on location cinematography and Richard Harris' performance. He is really over the top but is so fun to watch.

2. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

I went into the John Candy comedy Delirious with an open mind expecting the best. It's got an intriguing premise where a writer on a soap opera hits his head and wakes up in his own show. But I couldn't make it more than halfway through this mess. Painfully unfunny. This would have worked better as an SCTV skit. In fact you're much better off watching the brilliant SCTV soap opera parody The Days of the Week instead.

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Horrible movie. And beware of another Keanu stinker called 'Knock Knock'.

SSoundLtd likes this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

A dreary, dull, boring art-house flick that thought it was far smarter than its audience. A total snoozefest, and I really didn't care about a single character. Hated it.

RSteven likes this.
  5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Where to start...

Jimmy B. and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Inheritance (2020) - A haunted house in which very little occurs. Seemed twice as long as it's 87 minutes.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We're in Crapuary, the post-Christmas movie release doldrums where they dump all the films they can't figure out how to sell. Sometimes this includes truly great films that just don't lend themselves to an easy marketing campaign, but sometimes this is where they dump the stinkers.

Tonight, lacking anything else to see with our three AMC A*List tickets this week, we saw Moonfall, a completely predictable Roland Emmerich action fest, but this one making far less sense than usual. In this one, the Moon is going to crash into the Earth.

If you paid the slightest attention in high school science class, you would immediately spot ridiculous leaps of logic and scientific accuracy.

The only way I'll be willing to see this a second time is when RiffTrax produces a commentary.

8. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I started watching Valley Of The Dolls on DVD last night, wanting to check out Sharon Tate. I could not get through it. Patty Duke's character just annoyed the heck out of me so I stopped watching after about an hour. Only good thing I can say about it was Dionne Warwick singing the title song.

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Three angsty 20-somethings go away for a break in a cabin buried deep in a forest. They then get increasingly angsty. Aliens, apparently. Not that you see anything other than some Rice Crispies glued to a guys cheek. Mostly it's just more angsty. It ends when the last one standing gets.... you guessed it, REAL ANGSTY.

10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I liked 'Valley of the Dolls'. Campy nonsense but..
    Agree that Dionne's ' Valley Of The Dolls' is a great song, one of her best and that's saying something.

Jrr and Maseman66 like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I find that I can ignore inconsistencies with science in movies. And movies like Star Wars, which make no pretense that science actually exists.

That is, if there is something redeemable about the movie.

Example, 2003's The Core is not a good movie by science or science fiction standards. But, at least, it does a good job pretending that there is science behind it.

What makes this a good movie is the characters and the actors who play their part. The dialog is well written and engaging.

This elevates it above so many "sci-fi" movies with shallow scripts and even shallower characters.

Being that we are in the January wasteland, I was considering Moonfall. Please tell me that it has some redeeming qualities!

12. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Dune

TheVU and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I like the small flying transports but I didn't find much else of any particular interest. I thought the original had a better cast and was overall more interesting. Maybe part two will kick things up a notch or two?

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Tried to get through Chaos Walking with Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley. Oooof only made it to the half hour mark and had to bail. Would have stopped earlier if it hadn’t been for captioning. Oh well.

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, as I'm a gigantic space geek.
    The British lead, whom I thought of as "discount James Corden", was actually kind of amusing.
    In terms of logic, this was Ed Wood with a 200 million dollar budget.
    Redeeming qualities... redeeming qualities...

It demonstrated that if you take 24 sequential still images in one second and play that back in the same amount of time it will create the illusion of motion. But given that Eadweard Muybridge did that in 1872...

Honestly, if you want to see a bunch of stuff blow up and you're not particularly picky about what causes stuff to blow up, it might be enjoyable. But what this film really needed was the silhouettes of a man and two puppets saying out loud what was going through my head.

DISKOJOE and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

yes it's bad but I like it anyway

17. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Don't Look Up on Netflix

RSteven, Amnion and TheVU like this.
  18. Dale A B

Dale A B Forum Resident

1992's Split Second with Rutger Hauer & Kim Cattrall. Set in 2008 when London underwater and full of rats.
    Within 5 minutes RH is in a strip club looking for an Alien like creature.
    Add'l bonus point for Cattralls's shower scene.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Oh, this one crosses the line of "it's so bad it's good" for me. The monster is great fun, and the train sequence is priceless. You've got to like cheesy sci-fi though.

Juan Matus likes this.
  20. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

Peter Cushing. Christopher Lee. Vincent Price. All in one film but only the latter two on screen at the same time for a few moments at the end. Looks like some crazy Avengers movie with a jazzy score.. and every time I watch it I still don't know exactly what's going on.
    [​IMG]

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Oh c'mon!

That's a CLASSIC. :D

Juan Matus likes this.
  22. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

That movies haunted me for years as a kid. I would wake up feeling my legs to make sure they are still there. The plot was they were farming body parts but why one limb at a time?

SandAndGlass, Nodrog96 and Vaughan like this.
  23. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and razerx like this.
  24. It wasn’t meant to be realistic. It’s a thriller.

25. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

Now you've got to try " Beyond the Valley of the Dolls "- it's bonkers!
    [​IMG]