"A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD remaster.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mattb, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claude

Claude Senior Member

http://concordmusicgroup.com/thevault/index.php?pid=27

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Wow, so they are making good on those who feel burned.

3. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Double wow! You can keep the original, AND get the 'fixed' version... That's more than fair, IMHO.

4. Dobby

Dobby Member

Cool, maybe I should run out and get this after all...but...I think I'll hold out for an SACD...

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

6. alanb

alanb Senior Member

crickey - this means the ones with the different takes is going to be rare and collectable in the future then!!!:sigh:
    Maybe you should get it while you can.....?:)

7. Dobby

Dobby Member

Thanks Jamie, I knew about that one, but I heard it wasn't much of an improvement over the CD version (which is why I don't own it - if it wasn't for SH forums, I probably would own it...).

The new CD release we are discussing is apparently from the three-track masters - does anyone know if that is also true of the SACD? If the SACD is from the stereo mix, could that account for the not-so-thrilling general opinion of the SACD?

8. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

:agree:

I hope they will take a reprint of my original Amazon.com receipt.

So, how do we identify these "SK-1" packages?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The SACD has the original mixes. Some people just prefer the mastering on the older CD over the mastering on the SACD. They're both very similar but the SACD does has a touch more top and bottom end probably from EQ. The CD sounds a bit more realistic.

I'm not too thrilled with the remixes on this new CD (I dislike them quite a lot if you must know) but if you like them there was a 24/96 version of the same remixes with several 5.1 mixes (you can choose which digital reverb program to listen to) and as a final bonus the 1988 CD was thrown in too. It may be something that would interest you if you don't already know about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Guaraldi-Chri...ef=sr_1_5/104-7412659-2647125?ie=UTF8&s=music

10. Dobby

Dobby Member

Ya, that is another one I passed on after reading the threads at the time. But, I have a question on that release as I may go for it - when it says "DTS 96/24 (1.5Mbps)" I assume that is a lossless format - how does that compare to 24/96 PCM? Kinda confusing for us regular folk...

11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

That is a nice gesture from Concord and a good example of fine customer service. I'll hold on to my disc for the alternate versions but it's cool of them to offer an exchange/switch for a corrected disc.

12. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

So. Some here feel the CD 'swamped' by noise reduction or made 'dead' by processing, or that treble was 'rolled off', but Concord says NR was only used on one track.

A cautionary Christmas tale?

13. Mike Dow

Yes, you should most certainly use caution if planning to proceed with this CD. You would be much better off investing in the Analogue Productions' 45 RPM 2 LP version mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray.

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

And the Klaatu remasters "reveal more dynamics than ever before." :laugh:

They can deny it all they want. I hear the noise reduction on the Charlie Brown remix CD so how can it not be there? Besides, nobody ever said it was "swamped" with NR, did they? If they did they were being a bit eccessive.

The label also claimed Linus and Lucy was the full original version which was obviously untrue also.

Don't believe everything you read.

15. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

It's entirely possible that what you are hearing is the result of digitial workstation processing, and NOT any NR being applied. They've been pretty consistant in claiming they only used it on "Fur Elise". When I was doing some A:B comparisons, I did hear some residual processing on "Hark..." or "Christmas is Coming". Digital EQ or some other filtering?

Derek

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I work with digital workstations every day. My ears tell me it's NR. EQ or filtering wouldn't make the changes to the sound.

Could be wrong but who wrote the statement about no NR being used? Was is the engineer or was it someone at the label? They've told us incorrect information about this CD before.

17. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I picked up a Concord copy at a half-price after Xmas sale. It sounds a lot different than the old Fantasy disc and the new AP vinyl. The Concord is not as lively/lifelike sounding as the others I mentioned - the high end seems tinkered with/deadened somewhat, and it's really quiet in the hiss zone. The notes don't seem to ring out and decay like the others versions. The packaging is neat, though - much nicer than the bare bones booklet that accompanied the old Fantasy version. If it's cheap get it for the artwork.

18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I second that. I too work with digital workstations every day, and there is no doubt in my mind that we are hearing is Noise Reduction.

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Buy the new one cheaply off E-bay, burn the main album off the Fantasy CD, the bonus tracks off the remaster, and stick Greensleeves from the Fantasy CD on the end as a "hidden" bonus track, burn it, and stick it in the re-issue sleeve. :edthumbs:

20. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Jamie,

What I'm hearing is the piano. Just WHAT is wrong with the sound on it--I can't exactly put it into words! I have a piano, and know what the attack of the notes sounds like. Even on the tired old Fantasy CDs, you can still hear the correct "plink" of the beginning of those notes. On this new one, it almost seems like there's some kind of "gate" on the notes or something...I'm not hearing that attack like I do with the older CDs. Very odd. Or actually, very unnatural. It reminds me of when I play around with my digital filters in the computer and crank up the noise reduction filter way too much.

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Add some digital reverb to the 1988 CD and then add some NR to see if it sounds similar. Bet it does. :agree:

22. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

Well, I'm not making this stuff up.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2059463&postcount=13

Believe me I don't....however, that applies to this place too.

But I do note that while the label corrected their error re: mixes...it stood firm on the NR issue.

23. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I was comparing the new remaster and the old Fantasy disc last night. The problem with the new one seems to be that everything is at the same volume and it all seems to be more centered in the mix, almost mono. The percussion and brushes shouldn't be as loud as the piano. The old CD has less volume overall, but the instruments seem more natural in terms of volume and space around them.

24. Mike Dow

I did say that it "sounded swamped" in NR. While "swamped" may not have been the best choice of words, I stand by my claim that I hear noise reduction throughout the CD...not just on "Fur Elise." I also hear the aforementioned treble roll off and a serious reduction in bass presence.

That post was written after listening to most of the disc in disbelief that it could sound so CRAPPY. I could have been a bit more accurate in my description but the sentiment remains.

I was (and still am) very disappointed in this CD. The opportunity was there to do it right and that should have happened. Obviously, something else got in the way.

25. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

What if it's just digital reverb added to the remix? You can mess with the attack many different ways, without touching NR.

Derek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.