A couple questions about Nick Drake CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jligon, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jligon

jligon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I owned the '91 Hannibal version of 5 Leaves Left and I replaced it with the remastered Japanese version. I have the US remaster of Bryter Layter and I want to know what you guys/gals think are the best; the '91 releases or the remasters.
    I want to get all three of his albums and I'm wondering if I should go for the remasters or the '91 versions (still available, I'm assuming, in the Fruit Tree box set). They didn't update this box with the remasters, did they? If anyone has the box set, can they let me know if the book that comes with it is any good and worth having and if the CD are the same as the '91 remasters.
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The latest remasters are far superior... fantastic sound!

3. Mike V

Mike V New Member

The Fruit Tree boxes that I have seen contain the latest remasters for his 3 studio releases. The 4th disc of outtakes & demos is not remastered. I've heard Bryter Layter on the remastered version & you won't do any better elsewhere.

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I agree ... Go with the latest remasters. They're silky-smooth and noticeably easier on the ears ...

5. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ok, Ok!!
    So we are saying that the same guy who mastered the Kinks fiasco's for Castle, is the same guy who mastered these and they sound great?
    Simon Heyworth?
    I have Pink Moon and think it is comparable to the original UK vinyl. Now what are we to make of all this. (don't forget he also did the King Crimson stuff and some are in disagreement about it)

Just providing sugar for the coffee!

6. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

I think the remasters sound 'fair-good'...never heard the originals. Sometimes I get the feeling the guitar is a little bit veiled\hidden in the mix.
    There is some info regarding these remasters here :- http://www.robinfrederick.com/cally.html .

7. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Sounds like you have a problem with the mix more than the mastering, and I don't believe these were remixed.

If anyone has any doubts, cast them aside, as the Bryter Layter disc is one of the best sounding modern remasters I've heard bar none. The price is very good for the Fruit Tree box too (a steal at $45 IMO).

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I love Pink Moon, although it's possibly the saddest emotional point in his short recording career.

I agree with the crew, here. The Hannibal/Island remasters are what you should get. Simply Vinyl did a great job for the vinyls. All great stuff for the Drake fans. You don't usually see mastering bliss all around for any particular artist....

9. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Sckott,

Tom Port claimed long ago that the Nick Drake LPs on SV were cut from CDs or digital copies. I think he kind of took the liberty of coming to that conclusion all by himself, but what do make of the SV editions? Are they worth buying? I'd love Pink Moon on vinyl if it offers something special over the new remastered CD.

Thanks,
    Mike

10. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I have all three Simply Vinyl Drake LPs (they're the only SV LPs I've tried). I haven't ever done an A/B comparison with the remastered CDs (sounds like an enjoyable weekend project though), but on their own terms the SV LPs, to my ears, are pleasing if not outstanding. The vinyl is incredibly quiet and the packaging is nice, too.

But the CDs are available at around half the cost of the SV LPs, so ... And the Fruit Tree box is indeed a bargain.

FWIW ... Someone on Audio Asylum quoted Michael Fremer from Stereophile vol. 23 no. 2:

"I sat down the other night and compared the new Simply Vinyl reissues to an original pink-label [Free] Fire and Water, an original "sunray" [John Martyn] Solid Air, and a later, orange-and-blue label [Nick Drake] Bryter Layter. Tonally, the reissues are all very honest renderings of the originals. But -and it's a big one- all three LP's were spatially flat and sounded kind of "thick", with none of the focus, air, fine detail, and resolution found on my originals (or, in the case of the Drake, a third pressing). And those particular attributes are what I (and, I suspect, you) prefer about analog!"

11. Mike V

Mike V New Member

a

Amen Jeff! Thanks for sharing that quote with me. I'll stay with the CDs for now and shell out $400 for an original Five Leaves Left once I strike it rich :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.