"A filler copy"

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Old Zorki II, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher Thread Starter

Often I meet this description on some sales sites, with I suspect people have different ideas what it means.
    Is it "totally ruined and unplayable, just to claim you have it"?
    Or "can be played and even enjoyed until a better copy comes around"?
    Are both definitions are correct? And what is the reason (outside of famous super pricey collectables) to have them?

2. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Filler copy, player copy, just mean not a collector copy for some reason. The terms, when used without proper grading and/or descriptions of the specific issues, are pretty much empty marketing buzz words.

Tebbiebear and Old Zorki II like this.
  3. Old Zorki II

Thanks, indeed people use perhaps just as buzz word. As of "not a collector copy" - I've seen descriptions like "P, scratched, skipping, only for collectors" )))). Go figure.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

I wonder if there are people out there who collect player copies. And even more, I wonder what these people are called.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  5. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Poor.

jeffsab, eddiel and George P like this.
  6. Old Zorki II

Well, a lot of collector value is in jacket. Some jackets and little thingies cost more then actual record.
    It is easier to find a NM "Schools Out" then pair if original panties it came with.
    And for super rare records condition is often secondary cause no one will actually play them ))).

markshan likes this.
  7. Old Zorki II

Lots of "collectors" do not play their copies, they may not even have a record player )).

8. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Yep. And lots of us who just love to listen to music settle for trashed jackets or OJC reissues (as one example) instead of spending the big bucks to get what we'd really like to have.

Believe it or not, even some hoarders don't have record players. I was blown away when I had a yard sale and sold about 50 crap records to a guy. I asked him about his system and he told me he doesn't have one, he just has a room in his house full of records.

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.