A Hard Day’s Night Coming to 4K Blu Ray Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JABEE, Aug 11, 2021.

1. JohnstonR65

JohnstonR65 Forum Resident

I think the real question is will we get Let It Be on 4k?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wasn't all the footage shot for "Let It Be" on 16mm film?

That's not a source that would take advantage of 4K...

mBen989 likes this.
  3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I know Texas Chain Saw and The Evil Dead got the 4k treatment and those were 16mm shows.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  4. Yet, They Shall Not Grow Old has not had a 4K release, but that might be because the content is fragile enough in 1080p.

It's a safe bet that folks would buy the Get Back series on 4K. I'd be among them. However, as I'm quickly learning, beware of 4K releases shot on film. It's a crap shoot. 4K really shines with more modern cameras.

AppleCorp3 and supermd like this.
  5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre has not been released on 4K in the US, though. It's a pricey import, but you can get it. I wouldn't bank on the quality.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, there’s only so much resolution you can extract from 16mm. If they only offer blu-ray with this being the reasoning, then OK, but 4K does offer HDR, which you can enjoy even without a resolution boost to 4K, if I understand that correctly.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

BD would be fine enough for me...let's just get it out!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  8. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

9. Oatsdad

There are plenty of 4K UHD releases that don't really take advantage of the format - doesn't mean they "needed" to be released on the format.

A lot of 2K movies still benefit from 4K UHD releases due to HDR.

I don't think the "Let It Be" footage will be in that camp, though. It seems to be really blah looking footage without much to gain from HDR.

Anyway, Blu-ray will be fine for the "Get Back" project. Lossless audio and video that will be more than adequate for the footage...

10. Oatsdad

As I say above, that's correct. I just question how much HDR can do for such a drab-looking collection of footage.

supermd likes this.
  11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Not to mention, if the footage looks like the sneak peak on youtube, they'll have scrubbed it clean of grain and any remaining resolution that 16mm would provide.

12. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I am in the same camp. In my smallish room with a 65" OLED, my floor standing speakers are almost too far apart for music listening. I probably will never up-size my tv when needed, I may even go down to a 55". For some reason, I don't seem to have as much of a problem sitting a bit closer for 2-channel movie audio though.

GregM likes this.
  13. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I just checked Amazon US and no listing or release date yet...………...

14. JohnstonR65

JohnstonR65 Forum Resident

It wasn't announced in the November Criterion line-up. I would assume Apple will deal with the press release for that.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Per The Digital Bits, the first run of 4K discs from Criterion in November will not include Hard Day's Night:
    Criterion details its November slate with THREE 4K titles, plus Cruella, Addams Family, and a great chat with George Feltenstein (ex-Warner Archive)!

Per the original post from there about Criterion in 4K:
    Criterion announces its first 4K titles, plus Inglourious Basterds in Ultra HD, Superman: The Animated Series on Blu-ray, new Scream titles & more!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I believe Apple wouldn't have allowed A Hard day's Night to be released around the same time as Get Back. To me, it makes sense to separate the two releases by about six months.

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I couldn't go back to a 55" and my interest in a 88" is totally academic. If I could afford that, I could afford to add a separate HT room or buy a bigger house in a better area, and have separate systems for music and HT.

No man downsizes his TV--it's what separates us from the beasts.

BrettyD, supermd and Heavy Music like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Criterion sent out an update for the 4K Blu-Ray now scheduled for January 2022

Saint Johnny likes this.
  19. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Other than including a new 4K print, I'm unclear about what this new Criterion release offers. Are there new features added?

20. Aleksander86

• New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Richard Lester, with three audio options—a monaural soundtrack as well as stereo and 5.1 surround mixes supervised by sound producer Giles Martin at Abbey Road Studios—presented in uncompressed monaural, uncompressed stereo, and DTS-HD Master Audio on the 4K UHD and Blu-ray
    • In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Audio commentary featuring cast and crew (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
    • In Their Own Voices, a program featuring 1964 interviews with the Beatles with behind-the-scenes footage and photos
    • “You Can’t Do That”: The Making of “A Hard Day’s Night,” a 1994 documentary by producer Walter Shenson including an outtake performance by the Beatles
    • Things They Said Today, a 2002 documentary about the film featuring Lester, music producer George Martin, screenwriter Alun Owen, and cinematographer Gilbert Taylor (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
    • Picturewise, a program about Lester’s early work, featuring a 2014 audio interview with the director (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
    • The Running Jumping & Standing Still Film (1960), Lester’s Oscar-nominated short (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
    • Anatomy of a Style, a 2014 program on Lester’s methods (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
    • Interview from 2014 with Beatles biographer Mark Lewisohn (dual-format and 4K UHD only)
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Howard Hampton and excerpts from a 1970 interview with Lester (dual-format and 4K UHD only)

21. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

All of these features (minus the 4K restoration) were on the 2014 Blu-ray from Criterion.

longdist01, g.z. and audiomixer like this.
  22. Aleksander86

Yes.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what does Dolby Vision do for B&W movies like AHDN?

I’d love to see Help! in 4K with DV.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wouldn't it be nice if they added a Full Framed Bonus Edition to please the fans that remember watching this great movies with whole mop top heads? instead of chopped mop top heads...etc. there's other differences as well...

25. Oatsdad

As I understand it, Dolby Vision is just HDR that's used more specifically.

Whereas a standard HDR pass uses HDR at the same level the whole movie, DV changes the HDR from shot to shot.

Someone correct me if I remember wrong!

Anyway, HDR is useful with B&W to add to blacks and whites and contrast...

longdist01 likes this.