A little passive preamp help: Schiit vs Khozmo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by okc_craft, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

At any rate, I've gotten used to dual volume pots after many years with the McCormack. It is a balance control afterall! The McCormack uses a little trick where the two volume pots are tied together with a string but can still be adjusted independently.

2. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

The Khozmo still looks like a steal. Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy with the Tortuga, but if I needed a passive for another of my systems (don't ask...) a Khozmo would be near the top of the list.

luckybaer and okc_craft like this.
  3. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters Thread Starter

Now that I could do, I love that something as simple as a string solves what could be a minor inconvenience. Also got to love the hat tip to vintage tuners.

4. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

If the amp input impedance is 250K, the passive pre should be the same or less?

5. Luc.Benac

Luc.Benac Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  6. okc_craft

Well I decided to go ahead and place an order for the Khozmo. I had a Peachtree Nova preamp in storage that I decided to sell in order to justify owning yet another preamp... I’m not sure if the improvement will be mind blowing, but sometimes it’s not about that. I’m definitely looking forward to comparing the Schiit and the Khozmo directly though.

Guinsoo, Helom, 33na3rd and 1 other person like this.
  7. Luc.Benac

Luc.Benac Forum Resident

looking forward to hear your opinion. What resistance/impedance is the Khozmo? 20 Kohm?

8. okc_craft

I ordered the 20k. After conversations with Arek (the designer) he suggested that 20k-25k would suit my needs. I also informed me that the input resistors were easily changed by the user if needed, not without soldering, but with very minimal effort.

Just Walking, luckybaer and Luc.Benac like this.
  9. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

You’ll like the Khozmo. Build quality is really good, attenuator is precise, remote is rugged, and it is (at least in my system) very transparent.

Can’t wait to hear your impressions.

okc_craft likes this.
  10. luckybaer

Purchased a Khozmo for my primary system. This system is currently served by a OG Freya. I swapped my existing Khozmo into my primary system, and I liked it so much I decided to pick up a second - this one with XLR inputs (2x, with 1x RCA), and 1x XLR, 1x RCA outs. I’ll probably be too lazy, but IN THEORY, I could probably do a lot of comparison listening - provided I felt like swapping cables and all that. Unlikely, but possible.

Guinsoo and Luc.Benac like this.
  11. Luc.Benac

Luc.Benac Forum Resident

Well if uou have balanced source and balanced monoblobk amps that should be a lot of volts coming through...:righton:

12. okc_craft

That’s great!!!

13. luckybaer

Phonostage and DAC are balanced. Amp takes in balanced, but isn’t a true monoblock. Gain won’t be an issue. I ran both phono and DAC into SE RCA inputs in my Khozmo and went RCA to the amp and had PLENTY of headroom.

Will be nice.

14. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Somebody knows the difference between the volume potentiometer options?

Thanks.

15. okc_craft

I emailed Khozmo directly, he was extremely helpful.

16. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

I too purchased one of these, and I have to say: it's given me the best audio outcome of any passive I've ever tried. He will supply them with whichever pot attenuator value you want. I used passive only, for 20 years, before I took up active preamps for the first time a few years ago. I appreciate the qualities of a passive design. I have used four different types including a Mod Squad Line Drive, a QED passive and a home brew type. I am attracted to the Khozmo products, as much because of the remote control option offered as anything. I'm sure they are great units.

Guinsoo, okc_craft and Luc.Benac like this.
  17. Luc.Benac

Luc.Benac Forum Resident

I have the 20K value. No problem driving my two Sm-70 Class A amps in horizontal bi-amping. Pretty much just forget that this thing is there. A couple of steps up or down as needed and that's it.

18. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

I have found that the beefier the amp, and the more sensitive the speakers, then better outcomes can be had. For instance, driving my insensitive ls3/5a, with 15W per channel tubes and a passive, simply does not translate into enough volume. The best outcome is with a 150w per channel SS amp. The 15W tube amp also works well enough, but only with properly sensitive (>90db) speakers.

19. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Those looking for a good amp match to a passive preamp, should consider a vintage McCormack amp. The DNA series amps were designed with their TLC-1 in mind (passive preamp), and they come up for sale regularly for not a lot of coin. As an added bonus, their designer is still active in the industry and works modifying and servicing these vintage products.

Luc.Benac and 33na3rd like this.
  20. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Ok

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I received my Eric Tam Line Selector today and am very happy with it. I had no idea just how much the Niles line selector I’ve been using was affecting tone until I switched it out. The Tam unit is very transparent, only subtle EQ needed now if any, and the tube sonics are unaffected. Build quality is solid, and it shipped from Hong King to L.A. in less than 2 weeks.

Luc.Benac likes this.
  22. okc_craft

The Khozmo showed up Friday packaged extremely well. The overall build is very good and the linear power supply is an unexpected bonus. The only criticism I have is the finish of the wood sides is not as nice as the rest of the aluminum pieces, but certainly is good enough for most folks who are not professional furniture builders like myself. I have only just today had an opportunity to play some records, so I will refrain from commenting on sound for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hifisoup, Doc Diego, Guinsoo and 6 others like this.
  23. Luc.Benac

Luc.Benac Forum Resident

Same experience here.

24. luckybaer

My 2nd Khozmo arrived a week ago, and I dropped it into my primary system. It is fed by my PS Audio NPC and Schiit Gungnir MB (both XLR) and my Denon DCD-1600NE (RCA).

Compared to the OG Freya, the pot sure feels superior. Both units are well built, but the Khozmo just “feels” more solid.

Soundwise, I don’t miss OG Freya’s passive or buffered JFET phases. Freya’s tube gain stage always sounded good to me, but since I don’t need the gain, I’ll go with the Khozmo’s better build, lower noise floor, and superior clarity. Khozmo doesn’t get in the way of the music. Freya isn’t much of an obstacle, either - or at least I thought so until I dropped the Khozmo in.

If, for whatever reason, you need the gain from an active stage, Freya is the choice between the two. If you’ve got enough headroom and don’t need the additional inputs and outputs, I heartily recommend the Khozmo. Both are fantastic products, but Khozmo fits my needs and my preferences best.

25. okc_craft

I couldn’t explain why, but even with the Saga S in passive the Khozmo is quieter.... Perhaps the power supply in a separate chassis has something to do with that?

luckybaer likes this.