A Momentary Lapse of Reason Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Ummamentary Lapse Of Reason?:shh:

marc with a c, jumpinjulian and Kalli like this.
  2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

A Momentary Lapse of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Reason.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I recently ordered the Shine On box for a great price (90 bucks, only the postcards are missing) and wait for its arriving.
    Would like to know, is the Momentary Lapse album, which is included in the set, also a (Doug Sax) remaster or just the original master from 1987?

Think I found the answer. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  4. Every time I listen to AMLOR, it's alternately a fair bit better -- or quite a bit worse! -- than what I remember of it the last time I listened to it.

I only spin it maybe once or twice a year (at most), and I swear -- I'm always like "hey, this isn't as bad as I thought" -- OR -- "OMG, I can't believe this thing, yikes!".

I mean, I'll ALWAYS love "Sorrow" to death -- one of Dave's most epic songs ever. And I generally like Side 2 better than Side 1 (because the poor production choices are everywhere, but especially on Side 1). But the album is definitely a mixed bag. And not so much because some songs are good, and others not so much. But even the good songs, generally, or mired in poor production.

Matt S likes this.
  5. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

It was as late as two minutes ago, when I read your post, that I learned this little David Gilmour factoid! Is this the same technique he used on an acoustic in the middle portion of Welcome To The Machine? Knowing this would've saved me hours of frustration trying to replicate it on my guitar when I was a teenager...

Kalli likes this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Gilmour and Mason considered remixing and re-recording the album, including Rick Wright's keyboard contributions sourced from the era's live recordings, but apparently this plan was scrapped.
    Wonder how this would sound with modern recorded acoustic drums and things... surely there'd be some improvement.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I own the cassette tape, CD and the recent BGrundman vinyl reissue........clearly it's a great album!

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The Sorrow Way.

Echoes Myron and MitchLT like this.
  9. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I put on the headphones and listened to A Momentary Lapse of Reason 5 times this weekend. No matter how loud I played it, it always seemed chilled. The bass and drums seem almost hollow, as do the keys and backing vocals. It is just a cold sounding album to me. Which is cool.

10. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

Always loved Lapse. Sorrow is still a staggering performance.

11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Spinning now

[​IMG]

12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

^^ So that's what the cover of that album looks like!

synthpopfan likes this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I think songs like One Slip, Learning to Fly and Yet Another Movie work well given the sound and production used at the time. On the Turning Away sounds very much like classic Floyd, so that one works well no matter what. Sorrow is a great song, but didn't become one until it was played live, IMO.

14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It was released 32 years ago today (September 7). :cheers:

scobb, Carlox, synthpopfan and 2 others like this.
  15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

WOW!! Say it ain't so, 32 years ago.

synthpopfan likes this.
  16. synthpopfan

synthpopfan Well-Known Member

My first ever PF album was Delicate sound of thunder on cassette - because my then GF owned it, I liked a few songs off of it and I wanted to dig into her listening habits.

From there, I bought Momentary lapse of reason because their single Learning to fly was all over on MTV with a cool video to a great song. On the turning away became an equal favorite.

That said, I'll comment what my close friend - a metal head and PF fan - said of the album: Momentary lapse of talent.

Thanks to seeing this post, I'm thinking of giving this a spin this weekend on said cassette.

Cheers to the comments and OP.

Carlox and c-eling like this.
  17. Reggie Sears

Reggie Sears Int’l Recording Artist, Mix Engineer and Producer

I like most of the songs... I hate the production.

18. It's a really great album of it's time. It measures up well. I listen to it more than 'The Division Bell', these days. I'm really glad Gilmour and Mason teamed back up, I remember those years well and they did a fine job.

19. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

I'm very curious about the remix version on the Later Years box set...
    If the album were sold separately, it would be great.

Michael Rose, Matt S and xXFloydianXx like this.
  20. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I came here hoping to find that answered too. Crossing fingers for a positive response.

Carlox and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

All things being equal I should be going through it on the surround thread on Sunday... just depends how much time I have

22. MassHysteria

MassHysteria Music Lover

One of my absolute favorite Pink Floyd albums, unashamedly. Favorite track was always Terminal Frost, and love the Signs Of Life intro.

23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Any word of a stand alone AMLOR 2019 Remix release?

Carlox and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

The live version of "On The Turning Away" that MTV used to play gives me chills...love it.

Big Pasi and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I recently heard the 2019 remix and wasn't so keen on it. I actually like that heavy 1980s reverb on a lot of the tracks. Maybe it's just that I've got so used to sound of the original over the last 32 years.

I noticed that the remix is available in hi-res. Was the original ever released in 24Bit commercially?

altaeria likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.