A Sarah Vaughan discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Nov 16, 2008.

1. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

great album - playing the XRCD right now:righton:

2. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

-played the OJC CD as well and her voice sounds more natural on this one, but the accompanying instruments not as detailed as the XRCD - unfortunately I never picked up the PABLO LP, but might try to grab one off eb

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

ha, I was listening to this last few days after the big snows we got and thought I should mention it and revive the sarah thread and now I see I'd already posted about it during our last big storm....anyway...

Great Don Costa charts and maybe the best "Stella By Starlight" in existence...put this one on your Christmas wish lists...sublime..

Attached Files:

4. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Reviving this just to say Sassy is, in my opinion, the greatest singer of the 20th century. Love all her live albums especially, but the 2-disc expanded CD version of Sassy Swings the Tivoli might be my favorite. If any flaw can be mentioned about the divine one, it could be her tendency to get a little overripe; but this is held in check here.

With all due respect to Ella, Billie, Britney and Sinatra, no human voice holds as much sensual pleasure as Sarah's for me. Unlike say Ella, who never hit a bad note, Sarah hit a few, but even those are purely thrilling for me. Again; the greatest voice of the 20th century.

(I was kidding about Britney.)

saturdayboy likes this.
  5. sgb

sgb Senior Member

It's impossible for me to choose like that, even if forced to do so. Sarah's version of "A Foggy Day" on the album with the LAPO, though, and with apologies to e e cummings, deserves a heaven of its own.

6. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Wow, just now seeing this, and am always excited to find something new. Every time I think I've got just about all of Sarah's recordings, I hear about something else for which I need to set up an eBay alert.

Thanks!

7. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Lovely thread.

I really want to check out those Jazz Icons DVD's now.

For some reason I really want a good sounding Live At Mr.Kelly's on vinyl.
    Any tips what to look for regarding quality? How recent was this still being pressed?

8. DJ WILBUR

I would think there was only the original pressings. not sure there'd be very many vinyls floating around on this one. please report back on how you do with this particular search. I'd love one of these myself...

9. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"I just ordered the SHM CD version of Sarah Vaughan's Crazy and Mixed Up from CDJapan. I have a soft spot for this one. Do any of you like it. It was a Pablo with a Joe Pass, guitar combo."

This is great in any form and don't need SHM for it to sound great.

10. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Just did a search now and found this:

http://www.musicstack.com/item/8999390

I don't have any experience with online second hand buying so I'm a bit in doubt if this is trustable but the "data" looks good. Anyway I'm going to Brazil in 10 days so I won't go for this right now. Feel free! It is a lovely album from what I've heard on Spotify and a really cool cover I think.

11. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

This is probably my favorite of her Pablo recordings. I believe Sarah is credited as producer on it, so I assume she got it just the way she wanted.

12. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Airmen of Note

I also recently found out about an album Sarah did in 1974 with the Airmen of Note, a jazz ensemble of the US Air Force. I bought a digital copy online through a website that seems legit, although I won't post a link out of an excess of caution. (It's easy enough to find, in any event.)

She only sings 4 songs, but I think they are pretty spectacular. My Funny Valentine, in particular, is a totally different arrangement than any other I've heard her perform, and she knocks it out of the park.

Anyone else have this recording?

Attached Files:

13. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Great Topic , I think it's time to Up my Sarah collcetion , i only have a few lp's & a few cd's ....
    I wanted to get into some of the "ROULETTE" Recordings , i see some of these are issued as Mono & stereo , is there a preference to which one is a better Listen ? Thanks !

14. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Yes, she has her share of duds but her highs are so good that for me, she just pips Ella as my favorite diva. And it's her vibrato that gets me very time :)

15. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

It's a shame she never made a holiday album. I like to listen to "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" (with Billy Eckstine) and "Snowbound" around Christmas, although they aren't strictly speaking holiday songs.

She also recorded a few tracks on a Hallmark album with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I like those less, but they're nice to have, too.

Carols of Christmas

Attached Files:

16. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

I can't answer with regards to mono vs. stereo, but I do have the complete Roulette box that Mosaic issued. It's pricey, but the sound is great.

The Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Sessions

Attached Files:

• 214.jpg
      214.jpg
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

WOW! thanks for that Link , even watching that short video the music sounds really nice .....may have to same up my Pennies :D

Just bought a copy of "the Lonely hours" On Vinyl a used Early pressing , Hoping it's gonna sound great .

18. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

That's a nice one. There is a CD which contains that album along with "The Explosive Side of Sarah Vaughan" -- which is the other album she made at Roulette with Benny Carter. It's pretty easily available at a decent price.

The Benny Carter Sessions

19. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thanks !!

Just sprung for this , at $8 + shipping , i'll give it a try ....

[​IMG]

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. Looks like there's an entire series of such albums for a wide variety of stars at these incredible prices... Too bad I already have many of these in higher priced releases.

21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Same here , i have a lot of what is in the other sets , but very cool for startinga collection , a lot of music for very little $$$

22. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

From the photo, looks like some of her Emarcy albums. Great stuff at a nice price. Please report back about the sound quality.

23. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I will once i get them for sure ......looks like they just do the "two for one" 2-albums per cd ..... be curious what the sources were ...

24. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Anyone have those huge Mercury box sets? There are, what, 4 of them? 6? I don't remember. I'm too intimidated to buy a bunch of box sets, and yes, I'm afraid of a preponderance of sappy strings and ballads.

I think will eventually get the Mosaic though, 'cause it has my favorite album by hers, the one with just bass and piano, and also 'cause, you know, it's Mosaic and they don't mess around with their packaging and sound quality.

25. DJ WILBUR

i have the four Mercury box sets, well mastered in Japan early in the cd era so worth getting for sonics, but yes there is much treacle, but also much enjoyment...I find the Mosaic has plenty of treacle too...but what a voice she had...

Larry Mc likes this.