A Special custom Grado Labs EPOCH phono cartridge IN MONO is here. What albums can be played on it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

For $12k the Epoch aught to be a great cartridge ! With a VTF of 1.8g or so, I surmise the stylus to be less than 1mil. No mention of profile is given, but it is probably a fine line of some variation. The salient point is that it is a 2 coil cartridge, with coils oriented for mono playback- just like all other Grado mono cartridges. Some don't care, others do. The cartridge does have vertical compliance, and the presence of the 2nd coil indicates there may be some residual output from vertical components, however down in level response may be. This may be important as some believe this (suppressed) vertical output can introduce audible phase anomalies that are not present in a true single coil mono cartridge. Something to think about.

My experience is that true mono reproduction sounds different, and mostly better, than stereo adapted for mono reproduction. Mono only sounds more corporeal and dynamic. I get a big central image and a lifelike sense of scale. Some solo instruments sound shockingly real. OTH I get a very clearly defined central image when using a stereo cartridge, and I hear a greater sense of layering within the central image- more inner detail and air/space around instruments and performers. The later is probably a result of using a smaller profile stylus capable of retrieving more fine details from the LP groove. Tradeoffs always.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Again, don't play modern modern cut records with the Grado mono or any other mono cart until you experiment with the stereo cart by collapsing to L+R to see what happens to the signal. If it sounds OK that way, try it with your mono cart on your least favorite song, see what happens. Better tone?

3. Steve Hoffman

People are asking me why a mono cart like this Grado Labs EPOCH?

For me, it's simple. The stylus.

Having worked with many old mono tapes that have the old mastering notes in them on how to cut the music correctly (in 1949 or 1959), no two companies did it alike, no two studios within the SAME company did it alike (check two 1961 Capitols of the same album for example, two different lathes, one from 1950, one from 1960!) The grooves in the old mono records out there vary tremendously from pressing to pressing, company to company, year to year.

With a cart like the Grado Epoch Mono, one can (and David Shreve and I did over the weekend) play all different types of mono grooves, from USA 1949 cut pre-RIAA Decca 10" LP's to early 1950s RCA-Victors and Columbias through to the 1960s, different labels, USA and foreign, UK monos from back then, HMV, Fontana, German Odeon, etc. All (upon examination) with totally different groove design, way different volume levels, totally different LPI, all unique.

The Grado Epoch Mono tracked them all perfectly. I mean, "take a 63 year old mono album, play the last track and have NO inner groove distortion, just fantastic sound reproduction" perfectly.

This is why I'm saying that if you have a giant old mono record collection, this is the cartridge for you if you can afford it. I've never heard these records sound like this before and some of them I've had since CHILDHOOD and that was a while ago, campers. They track like brand new records. Is that worth $12,000.00? Yes, if one has the means.

The FRiNgE and chacha like this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Most of us running Miyajimas use 12" arms and don't seem to have tracking issues, mounting a 12" arm apparently solves potential tracking issues for a lot less than the cost of the Epoch.

5. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

"With a cart like the Grado Epoch Mono, one can (and David Shreve and I did over the weekend) play all different types of mono grooves, from USA 1949 cut pre-RIAA Decca 10" LP's to early 1950s RCA-Victors and Columbias through to the 1960s, different labels, USA and foreign, UK monos from back then, HMV, Fontana, German Odeon, etc. All (upon examination) with totally different groove design, way different volume levels, totally different LPI, all unique."

Couldn't this be said about most current adapted mono cartridges, using a modern stylus profile ? The EPOCH may be the best, or among the best mono cartridges, but does one really have to pay $12k to achieve outstanding mono reproduction ?

6. Steve Hoffman

Not really. But, as I stated in this thread and it still holds:

Rich audiophiles only can afford a 12k phono cartridge 'cause it's silly expensive, but a true vintage LP collector with the big bucks is really the only customer for an EPOCH grade mono cartridge. And I've never known a collector who has big bucks or who would spend it on an expensive needle instead of buying more records, so I'm curious.

7. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Yes.

8. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field

I've read this thread with interest, thanks. I understand the explanations & instructions from Steve re True Mono.

Maybe like a lot of us, until now, I've been playing all my mono records (Pre & Post 1968 & modern mono reissues) with my mono cart (Miyajima PremiumBEII) and I thought they all sounded amazing.

I guess I find that a bit confusing...knowing what I know now.

From now on, I'll be playing only True Mono records on the Miyajima and using my Hana SL with a mono switch for the others.

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Why not do a comparison and make up your own mind? You might get a different result.

10. Madlove

If I'm understanding the thread correctly, it's a groove issue. In my situation with the Miyajima in particular, I'm under the impression that playing non-True Mono records would actually be detrimental to both the record and the stylus. That seems to make a comparison a non issue.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If the Miyajima does indeed cause damage, it's already done and also it's not going to be to the mono signal part of the groove so your Miyajima won't pick it up whereas your stereo cart likely will, stick with your Miyajima.:righton:

12. Madlove

In case anyone benefits from this info...

I have a 0.7mil Miyajima Premium BII mono cart. This is from the Miyajima website:

About stylus size of PremiumBEII MONO
    0.7mil is suitable for reissue monaural LP and a monaural LP of after 1960.
    1.0mil is suitable for the monaural LP of a deep groove of the first press of the 1950s.
    However, both styli can trace the monaural LP of all generations without a problem.
    When you listen to the monaural LP of all generations, we recommend 0.7mil.

When you listen to a monaural LP of the first press of the 1950s mainly, we recommend 1.0mil.

So from the manufacturer, I'm gathering that the 0.7mil Miyajima Premium BII MONO is OK to use with all generation MONO records, without worry of damage to the record.

teag likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

I'm sure they believe what they wrote, but what happened in the year 1960 that changed everything? Nothing. A lathe that was cutting records in 1958 was still cutting them in 1966.

Stick with the 0.7mil.

teag likes this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

On a suitable arm, it sounds GREAT.

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

This blog post by forum member 2xEuL is worth reading in regard to when most plants actually switched: Deep Groove Mono and the Great Groove Width Mystery

Vinyl Archaeologist, teag and Madlove like this.
  16. Madlove

I enjoyed reading that, thank you. "I say from experience that your current 0.7-mil stylus is sure to track your vintage mono LPs without compromise."

17. Steve Hoffman

Please understand that "deep groove" means the groove in the label from a certain pressing plant. Has nothing to do with the record groove.

thrivingonariff and Madlove like this.
  18. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Blue Note vinyl: the deep groove

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That always seemed like such a confusing term for what it actually is.

Madlove likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Tell me about it. Everything about this subject is confusing.

chacha likes this.
  21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

2xUeL's blog is called Deep Groove Mono because it's mainly about Jazz and early Blue Notes, nothing to do with vinyl grooves although with hindsight the title for that particular post does appear somewhat ambiguous and misleading, especially if you aren't into collecting fifties Jazz, so a point well made.:agree:

22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I had a 2M SE Mono and sold it. The sound is full, chunky, colorful, but hardly accurate sounding. It was like turning the color and contrast on your TV all the way up. Vivid, but with little subtlety. Furthermore, it's not really a true mono cartridge. It's strapped.

Ortofon's Quintet Mono, at around $500 or so, is going to be a subtler cartridge, though not as initially exciting as the 2M SE.

23. AnalogReview

AnalogReview Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has bought an Epoch Mono and is struggling to get enough gain with 2 different phono stages. He has run it through LOMC sections for 66db of gain and still doesn't have enough. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here?

24. blakep

blakep Senior Member

According to specs (supposedly the same as the Stereo Epoch, at least reported in reviews) which is 1 mV output, 50-55dB of gain should be plenty for that cartridge. But it is designed to be run into a 47K input/load.

Only thing I can think of is your friend is running it into a MC input which is perhaps in the 50-500 ohm range (100 is standard on a lot of MC inputs) which would be totally killing the output.

If he has the ability, set for 50-52 dB of gain and 47K load. That should be just about right in most systems unless he's running a passive preamp.

If he still has problems the cartridge is probably hooked up wrong or defective.

25. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Reviving a tread. MF in the SP reviewed this cartridge. His comments echo what SH had to say at the beginning of this thread. Curiously, MF makes no mention of the stylus size or shape. It is .7 mil, correct ? Thus safe to use for playback of any mono LP, whether pre 1960, 1960-1968, or modern reissue.

Also- The EPOCH MONO appears to be a true mono cartridge rather than adapted for stereo.

It contains single pair of coils, oriented for lateral sonic content.

The EPOCH STEREO contains 2 pair of coils, oriented for 45 x 45 stereo groove content.

So if you have $12k.......

As for me, I'll stay with an Ortofon CG25DI II.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.