A star that shined too bright: The brilliance of Jobriath

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Jul 5, 2019.

1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover Thread Starter

I Recently got into the work of Bruce Wayne Campbell, better known as Jobriath, or Cole Berlin. I know he’s still disliked by some even today but I find his story and music fascinating, especially his album with his group Pidgeon from 1969, and his debut album as Jobriath from 1973.

To me, he was an intense, bright talent that sadly burned out way to soon. Such a tragic end to a performer who was destined for more.

The thing that speaks to me most I think is his work as “Cole Berlin”, also known during this time as “Bryce Campbell”. Here’s a recoding and a bit of an interview of him performing “Sunday Brunch” that was gonna be in a play he was writing. This video was part of a documentary about the people who lived at the Hotel Chelsea. I’m fact he loved there for a time, at the top. Just stunningly beautiful piano playing and voice. Wow. He really had chops on the piano, he coulda been one of the greats!
    This thread is really an appreciation thread for this underrated artist.

Do you dig any of his work?

2. RedRoseSpeedway

Edited version of “Sunday Brunch” with the interview cut out of the middle. How I wish we had more recordings of him from this time...

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

What a lovely post.

It’s a shame you spelt his name wrong in the thread title.

:D

GoodKitty and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  4. RedRoseSpeedway

Darn auto correct! Fixed

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I love the 2 albums he did as Jobriath, but was definitely a victim of the incompetence and lousy treatment by his manager/lover Jerry Brandt. There's a documentary (the name of which I can't recall) that gets into some of the story, and there was an excellent article (in Mojo I believe) that went deep into his story. That he wound up basically homeless, earning a living as a hustler, and dying of AIDS is just a sad sad end for someone
    who really was quite talented (ignore the Bowie comparison, they're superficial and off base) and brave for his time. At least the albums are available for those curious enough to hear them.

6. RedRoseSpeedway

Probably is best album. His work on the keys is incredible and I didn’t know he could play guitar like that either! He gets pretty heavy on this record. He’s the only one listed as playing guitar on this LP so it surely must be him. Brilliant.

Ludger likes this.
  7. RedRoseSpeedway

Yes “Jobriath A.D.”! I watched that Doc. It’s a great one that really tells you the full, tragic story. Overhype really did help kill his career :(

ralphb likes this.
  8. ralphb

Brandt was an old school hustler kind of manager, he also ran The Electric Circus on St. Marls Place.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  9. ralphb

If his first album and gigs had come around 1975, and he didn't have that insane amount of hype, he might have done much better.

10. RedRoseSpeedway

I’m sure you’re right, I wish things were different.

11. ralphb

I think he would have fit right in with the early CBGB scene, he had an excellent guitarist in Steve Love and would have easily won over the 1975 crowd.

12. RedRoseSpeedway

Why do you think that 2 years would’ve made the difference?

13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

What do you guys think of Morrissey's recent cover?

14. RedRoseSpeedway

I’m aware of it but haven’t heard it as I’m not into Moz, and I’m worried he’ll ruin a great song. Is it any good?

15. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I have his two Elektra albums. The songs are overproduced and underdeveloped. You can sense the talent, but it feels like it needs more seasoning.

It also seemed like the albums lacked a consistent style -- is it disco, is it cabaret, is it rock? (I understand that an album doesn't need to have a consistent style, and that some artists can easily switch from style to style with grace and ease. But when you're a new singer on the scene, the public is going to be much more skeptical of you if you're not consistent.)

Then again, I'm probably the wrong demographic for this stuff. I only bought the albums because they featured Peter Frampton and John Paul Jones as guest stars. :laugh:

Man at C&A and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

Maybe give that Pidegeon album^ a whirl if you haven’t, it’s quite different.

17. ralphb

The CBGB scene in 1975 was a real melting pot of styles, and I think his music would have been embraced by an audience that was open for anything. But from the start, his whole thing was about the theatrical presentation and the music got kind of secondary. He might not have taken to his show being stripped down to something that would have flown at CBGB, but the music would have been no problem with that crowd. At least I like to think so.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Ludger and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  18. ralphb

Ludger likes this.
  19. RedRoseSpeedway

I dig this performance man, what a song. I really like the harpsichord (at least the one used on the studio track). Forgive my ignorance but what does CBGB stand for?

Ludger likes this.
  20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I bought his first album as I was into glam rock and David Bowie but I didn't like his album at all.

21. RedRoseSpeedway

Give that Pidegon album up there^ a shot, it’s much different from his later work and you might dig it!

Rufus rag likes this.
  22. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

I was interested in knowing more about JPJ's contribution so I started this thread last year:
    Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones ... and Jobriath

there's also this (closed) thread
    Jobriath ?

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. RedRoseSpeedway

24. ralphb

The full name was actually CBGB/OMFUG which stood for Country, Bluegrass, Blues and Other Music for Uplifting Gormandizers .

25. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I did some research on JPJ's involvement many years ago but didn't come up with much. Some fans believe that Jones played on the more "commercial" songs on Creatures Of The Street (e.g., "Liten Up"). I suspect that Jones may have played on the orchestral tracks (e.g., "What A Pretty", "Gone Tomorrow"), which were recorded in the fall of 1973 at Olympic Studios -- Zep was on a break at the time so it certainly would fit into Jones' schedule.

GoodKitty and RedRoseSpeedway like this.