ABBA - CD Album Box Set - 27 May 2022 Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, May 27, 2022.

1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

To me, it sounds like a new remaster. IIRC, on the Deluxe Edition, the left channel was slightly dull...It's not the case on the new master, but I have to check again for further details.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

So would you say these are the best modern Abba cds?

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. sathvyre

There are more non-album-songs missing (I Am The City, Ah Vilka Tider, full length version of Summer Night City, different language versions of several songs etc.).

4. sathvyre

I listened to two songs and could hear some hiss and little tape issues, so I expect it to be the same analogue master copy as a source :(

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. sathvyre

For the most stuff, yes. Except "The Visitors" album and the issues I mentioned before (missing transition on the last two Super Trouper tracks / lossy source for Eagle), the rest seems to be fine.

Jarleboy and Giobacco like this.
  6. NTG

NTG Forum Resident

In other words, the boxset probably mirrors the iTunes Remasters, which means:
    Some tracks have too much bass & they lack at top end resolution!

But even if that’s not the case, too many tracks are missing. I guess they did that, because all albums are celebrating their 50th Anniversary starting with Ring Ring Ring in 2023! Maybe plans for new editions already exist, in which they will add the missing Bonus Tracks.

Anyway… I still don’t know if I want to buy the Boxset. The missing Bonus Tracks (especially Cassandra) are keeping me away from it

Jarleboy and croquetlawns like this.
  7. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

Isn't the lack of top end on itunes due to the losssy format?! It shouldn't be the case for cds...

Tony Cruse and Jarleboy like this.
  8. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Is there a full list anywhere of all ABBA songs and versions?

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

As I have always hoped these seem to be the 2014 Itunes remasters, maybe slightly tweaked here and there.
    I'll fetch my box set from the post office now. :)

ispace, Jarleboy and Giobacco like this.
  10. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

While it is not the most vital element of the set, I noticed that the bonus disc has a different track list to the bonus disc on the little black box. Quelle surprise!

Amazon appears to be just about the best price for the UK. One independent that I use quite a lot has it five quid more expensive and also describes it as "limited" which I hope is not the case if we are waiting for a price drop!

ispace, Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
  11. NTG

NTG Forum Resident

No... they have been remastered that way.
    Example: If you listen to S.O.S. from an original LP or from the 1st CD edition of the Self-Titled Album (not a remastered one) and compare it with the Deluxe Edition CD or the iTunes Edition, you will directly hear the differences on the refrain, especially on the guitars. They sound... I don't know how to describe it... hidden in the background? Muffled? To me they sound as if someone has put a blanket in front of the speakers! But they definitely don't sound like the original LP or CD editions.
    Nina Pretty Ballerina, Happy Hawaii and The day before you came have the same issues.

It's not something I can't live with! But the fact that many Bonus Tracks are missing... well, that's a thing. At least for me!

JayNYC and Jarleboy like this.
  12. NTG

NTG Forum Resident

Can you please check out 2 things?

1. Is Head over Heels included in its Original Version or did they use again the Alternate Mix, included in the Deluxe Edition?
    2. Does "Slipping through my fingers" crossfade to " Like an angel passing through my room" or does the first track has a cold-ending, as included on the iTunes Edition?

Thank you in advance! :)

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The lossy compression should not be audible as lack of top end.

Tim

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  14. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

Well, as it usually cuts at 15k, somehow yes it should...

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    Jarleboy likes this.
  15. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

The box set is available also on SHM-cds from Japan.
    JPC has it for around 115,- Euros.

ispace and Jarleboy like this.
  16. onlyconnect

I took a look at my free U2 download from iTunes - it has frequencies above 22k.

Tim

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

Unfortunately I have many downloads with a 15k cut, but don't know about the ABBA ones...Surely any lossy download lack a bit of clarity and detail due to compression in comparison to lossless.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Decided not to go for this. Who needs another ABBA product with issues?

The definitive ABBA CD reissues are still to come. If they ever do.

905, Jarleboy, andy75 and 1 other person like this.
  19. onlyconnect

We are in the last days of CD IMO. So if not now, then when?

Tim

ispace, ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That’s just it. The ultimate reissues will probably never come. They’ve had enough chances to get them right.

21. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Cool that there’s a new ABBA box set. Going by the comments so far, I’m not feeling the “I got to have it” vibe. I’ve bought these albums so many, many, many times before I just can’t do it again unless this is truly, truly, truly amazing. It doesn’t sound like it.

The original Germany releases that I bought decades ago when they first came out have been my go to despite the many re-releases. They could get this right but they don’t. Just the fact the non album tracks are left off is enough for me to ignore it.

I’ll certainly be interested in reading the comments as they pour in. All the same, unless they release absolutely stellar remasters, surround sound remixes or 3D holograms of the band dancing in my front room, I’ll settle with the 50,000 other copies I already have of their albums.

22. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

We know it’s unfortunately become a mastering trend for the CD editions to often be bastardised to sound better in cars stereos, on the move etc. So I’m wondering if the vinyl versions might be more faithful to the originals. Are there high-res versions of this set out yet, or been mentioned?

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I have a solution to this and other related issues. It’s so genius.

Buy the box and simply replace the actual CDs with your versions of choice!

Anonamemouse, ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  24. sathvyre

It's not that easy, because there is no perfect version for "The Album" available...neither on vinyl, nor on CD.

Jarleboy and Freelander like this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I suppose the true test of this set is the second verse of "The Name of the Game".