ABBA - CD Album Box Set - 27 May 2022 Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, May 27, 2022.

1. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

After 2008, I was focusing on and mainly listening to vinyl … I did pick up the 2008 The Albums boxset blindly without doing any research. I also have GH Vol and 2, The Singles and the RD box on CD/vinyl in addition to the studio albums on vinyl.

In the past year, I added another system in my bedroom which uses a Bluesound Node 2i / Roon to access my ripped CD’s. I have decided to pick up this new boxset to replace the earlier one from 2008.

Jarleboy and Freelander like this.
  2. NTG

NTG Forum Resident

I don't think that the last days of CD will affect any forthcoming releases by ABBA.
    They still have the chance to release 50th Anniversary Editions of all their albums until 1981
    and there is no compilation available, in which the Voyage-Singles are included.
    Not to mention that we still don't have any Blu-ray releases of their Promo Clips...

3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I don't have many Abba albums other than compilations so picked this up today.

Great music but I'm a bit disappointed overall. Voyage is identical to the release last year which is not surprising, the others seem to be new remasters but similar sound to the currently available CDs? No bonus tracks other than the Tracks CD which is also short, at just over 38 minutes. As if it was compiled for vinyl with CD the afterthought. Sound wise it is OK but I prefer the Thank you for the Music box for the tracks which are in common; I actually rather like the sound of that box. Some of the tracks seem bass-boosted on the new box, Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! for example, the percussion seems almost to distort, listening on HD 600 headphones, whereas it is fine on Thank you for the Music. And yes, I realise that Thank you for the Music doesn't have the best reputation either. No lyrics in the booklet is another disappointment.

Tim

4. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I'm going your way with this box. I'm mostly interested in a good version of The Visitors on CD. I have the CD/DVD combo of that one as of now.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

the deluxe CD/DVD is a bit of a mess. The best one is any of the pre-1997 CD’s. They all use the same mastering and it’s glorious. One of the best CD masterings ever done

6. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Thanks for letting me know. Will try to find one of those.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

TYFTM has original masters / mix down tapes digitised, but mastered way too bright. Maybe you are used to it and find other releases dull...

Jarleboy, onlyconnect and Giobacco like this.
  8. sathvyre

Buy any old POLYDOR CD. They all share the original digital master.

Jarleboy and andy75 like this.
  9. sathvyre

To me, the original "Visitors" CD always sounded clinical, digital and dead. I prefer the original LP instead.

NTG and Jarleboy like this.
  10. NTG

NTG Forum Resident

Same here… I won’t buy it.

It’s unbelievable that “The Visitors” is included again from the same source, as the Deluxe Edition! Perhaps louder, but it still doesn’t sound right.
    The iTunes Edition is affected by the same problem.
    All tracks from Side B sound darker and somehow dull. Not to mention all the drop outs on “I let the music speak”…

Thanx, but… no more “Money Money Money”, unless a proper remastering WITH all the bonus tracks from each album will be released!

This Box Set is definitely the right choice for someone who doesn’t own any CD Album by ABBA.
    I own a lot of CD & LP editions of each album, so for me it’s completely unnecessary and with issues here and there… again…

MikeManaic61, 905, Fred1 and 2 others like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, I agree. For someone who is new to ABBA and wants the albums all in one go, the new boxset will probably suffice. It’s not particularly expensive either if you consider all the music you get.

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Except the previous box has been as low as £15-20 and - though sans Voyage - has more of the other music on it :)

EG.

steelvelvet20, 905 and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Oh right. I admit I’m not up to date with ABBA boxsets.:)

905 and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Thanks, Bobby and gang. This is really helpful. I am one of those who don’t own any of the proper studio albums and am looking for a one-stop shopping experience.

You all are so knowledgeable on this band, it really is great to read.

15. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I am also thankful for all the knowledge in this thread … while my first exposure to ABBA was GH Vol 1 in 1979 … then Voulez Vous and Super Trouper as a teen … I didn’t hear the earlier albums or The Visitors until much later in life.

c-eling, Fred1 and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

They are not bad either. Not at all.

17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If I hadn't picked up Thank You for the Music the last time I was at the flea market this would be on my radar.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Nowhere boy

Nowhere boy Forum Resident

Ok, it just arrived, I put Super Trouper (title track) on and although the waveform is fairly similar to that of the Deluxe Edition, it's definitely not the same mastering, the Deluxe sounds slightly but noticeably muffled in comparison, it's like they finally turned that album ON. Loving it so far.

19. little_earthquakes90

Does anyone know if the CD box has the original Swedish tracklist for Ring Ring & Waterloo? The CSR and The Albums boxes said they did, but didn’t

Jarleboy and sathvyre like this.
  20. onlyconnect

Hmm, Ring Ring is in Swedish and the English version appears as track 10 so I think it does.

Tim (updated)

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. little_earthquakes90

Oh! I was thinking this might be the first worldwide CD release of the original Swedish tracklist, but if the English version is missing, that’s very odd.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. onlyconnect

I made a mistake, now updated, sorry! Because my CD ripper detected it wrong.

Tim

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. little_earthquakes90

Thanks Tim! So this does indeed appear to be the first worldwide release of the original Polar album. That’s pretty great.

24. sathvyre

Yes, both Ring Ring and Waterloo have the original swedish tracklistings.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Stoppedawhile4achat

Stoppedawhile4achat Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I’ve been looking at the forums for years , mainly for Abba and I’ve finally got around to joining.
    It’s SO informative and interesting to hear from everyone and to get different opinions regarding best remasters etc etc.

I think im doing to buy this set because I’ve bought all the others and naturally 5 or 6 box sets and 10 versions of all the albums isn’t enough! Lol.

Regarding ‘The Album’ , could you confirm please that the side A tracks do not have the distortion - especially on ‘The Name of the Game’

best wishes to all.
    Im seeing the Abba show tomorrow and am extremely excited !

Rob.