Abba Studio Albums coloured vinyl box 03/07

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamiesjamies, May 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stusaff

Stusaff Forum Resident

I’m surprised that this thread seems to have faded away? I imagine if this was a Beatles box set we would be up to page 19 now. Do we know about mastering, is it AAA, pressing etc etc? I can’t seem to find a thing about this set at all. Is everyone a bit meh about this release?

jamiesjamies and Rosewater like this.
  2. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Yes, me too. I guess it's the same mastering as the black vinyl box (?) but I don't have any details on that either. Release date for this one is now July 24th. I just sold my black vinyl box which has paid for this, as I couldn't justify having two.

3. Save your money and buy the Readers Digest set. It's definitely AAA and uses the correct original master tapes. Nothing since has and unlikely ever will again now. Sure, the new set is prettier but why bother with an inferior media unless you can get an all AAA cut? The sound of the RD is very good.

4. Zephead2112

Thanks for the tip, that's good to know and you've actually just reminded me that I have the RD set. As you say it sounds great.

sound chaser and SteveM like this.
  5. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I posted on another ABBA thread here on this forum a few days ago that I had pre-ordered this vinyl box set. but no response at all from others so i gues they are not interested at all, then I had canceled it but the price has dropped by 20 euro's so I ordered it again. and if it is good it should be released this Friday on the 24th, so I am very curious about this new ABBA coloured vinyl boxset since I don't have any ABBA elpee's in my collection yet. :)

First i want to buy the black 180 gram re-issues but then i fought those coloured vinyls looks very cool. :cool:o_O

landerstnkb likes this.
  6. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Pre-ordered from Amazon US, but have yet to get any shipping notification. Does anyone know if this will still get a release tomorrow or is it delayed like seemingly everything else these days?

7. Zephead2112

I just received this but I am in the UK;

Dear Customer,

We are emailing with regards to your order for ABBA - The Studio Albums: Limited Edition Coloured Vinyl Box Set

Due to a delay at the distributor the stock was received by our warehouse team today, we are working to get your pre-order shipped ASAP but there might be a slight delay in you receiving your order.

We would like to apologies for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience. Please use the discount code ABBA10 at the checkout for 10% off your next order with us.

For any questions please get in touch with us with your order number at [email protected].

Thanks
    The Sound Of Vinyl Team

FLF likes this.
  8. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Ahhh..thanks for that. Surely that's bound to be the case with Amazon US at the moment as well.

edit....I spoke too soon. I just now got an email from Amazon stating the 28th is the new estimated shipping date!

landerstnkb and Zephead2112 like this.
  9. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I just got a mail that my order has being shipped, it will arrived tomorrow. o_O

FLF and landerstnkb like this.
  10. Stusaff

Stusaff Forum Resident

Good to see the ABBA thread resurrected! I must admit I was tempted by the box set, very tempted but decided to pick up the original titles individually. The thing that I found with ABBA is to get a good sounding pressing needs a bit of digging and patience, I was stalking the excellent “best ABBA pressing” thread and took the advice to buy Dutch and German pressings, you can pick them up pretty cheap and the sound quality beats the Uk pressing imho, especially VV the Uk version I had was a real ear shredder, the Dutch polydor pressing is loads better, much smoother.
    I read somewhere that the coloured box set has the same mastering as the straight black 2010 version, but I can’t for the life of me remember where I read that. I think that 2010 box is highly thought off, so fingers crossed this set will be awesome
    Would love a full on review of the sound quality of these pressings, so please post as I still may be swayed

landerstnkb and FLF like this.
  11. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

I ordered the box set on Monday (6/20) from Amazon US which gave a release date of Friday (6/24) and an arrival date of Tuesday (6/28). A payment to Amazon was made from my credit card today which usually indicates it will be shipped soon. I was a little worried as I saw Amazon now has the box listed as “Back-ordered. Due in stock on August 2”.

FLF and Rosewater like this.
  12. landerstnkb

Did you receive your box set? Any concerns with the sound quality or the overall quality of the records? Hartstikke Bedankt!!

13. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Yes i did recieved my boxset yesterday, the box itself looks great, but i dont have much time to listen to the sound quality, maybe i will listen to it tomorrow.

landerstnkb and Juggsnelson like this.
  14. Stereolove

Stereolove Forum Resident

Any update on sound quality?

landerstnkb likes this.
  15. landerstnkb

I’ve only listened to Arrival so far and to my non-audiophile ears it sounds excellent. Dead quiet between tracks and an enjoyable listen, considering I’ve never heard these albums before (only the hits). I’m happy with it.

Stereolove, Rosewater and Peachy like this.
  16. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Ordered from Amazon France no shipping notification yet, anyone else waiting on it

17. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Same for me. I have no other Abba records to compare, just the 1999 Gold/More Gold CDs, but I'd say that the sound quality of this box is absolutely fine.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Rosewater, landerstnkb and Grohlfan like this.
  18. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Slight aside from the thread, this is good to know, but I see both 4 and 5 vinyl lp versions, is that right?

19. Yes, get the 5LP set.

Stereolove and sound chaser like this.
  20. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Thanks, so that would be GABA A-112 CBS UK with the light blue labels?

Stereolove likes this.
  21. Don't be confused by serial numbers. There are at least two different numbers assigned to the 5LP set. You need to check the track listings and / or sale adverts for details.

sound chaser likes this.
  22. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I finally had time to listen to a few LPs, I've only listened to "Ring Ring" and "Waterloo", and so far I'm very satisfied with the sound quality, everything sounded clear and good, and no rara overflow to each song, I am very satisfied so far and i'm very happy with my purchase.

FLF and landerstnkb like this.
  23. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Ordered it on the day it was announced from Sound of Vinyl and haven't heard a word since.

24. Stereolove

Stereolove Forum Resident

Heads-up on the artwork. It’s the usual pixilated / scanned crap we’ve come to see on the B2B series. Looks like another cash grab for nothing more than pretty-coloured vinyl.

25. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I just finished listening to the colored vinyl set and I'm very pleased, pressings were uniformly good, flat and centered. Sound quality was fine, I can only imagine the 2x45 issues really topping them substancially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.