Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

so is this a leak, or just a fake?

2. Exotiki

the way you are describing it sounds like how i feel about colorization. we wish it was that easy, but most of the automated colorizations look meh at best. all the realistic colorizations took hours

Beatle Ed and john morris like this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

We're not too far apart...I'm in Brampton

4. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Fun?....Fun!? Ahhhhhhhhh!!!
    I wouldn't call it fun, more like a mixing Hell.
    One way to get the drums on their own is to get rid of everthing else. But if there a percussion like instrument on the track it ain't gonna work.
    Or if they are two acoustic guitars playing the same thing you can't separate them. It's impossible. Anyone that says different will not get a visit from Santa this year...I mean it!

The Mix So Far! (Suggestions from members would be appreciated. Only the serious reply!)
    The track had no stereo mix. The new one is:

Bass - center
    Rest of band - Halfway left (kick and snare is now louder thanks to the evil soulless SIS.)
    Vocals - Center (A little bit of reverb in the Effect Return. Post fader. Panned hard right.
    Strings and Horns - Halfway Right.

5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

It used to be proudly proclaimed that an album was a remix.

Dance Remix version, for example.

Truth in advertising. And something new and different.

Monasmee likes this.
  6. Exotiki

maybe some stereo swapped reverb. might help?

7. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

The two previous releases are titled the same way, 2017 Mix & 2018 Mix

Octavian and Monasmee like this.
  8. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

You're saying there will be at least two different versions of "Something", one of them being the basic track with the extended piano jam that sounds like "Remember".

marklamb likes this.
  9. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

So I need to mount my surround speakers, face down, in my ceiling

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Beatle Ed and Zafu like this.
  10. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Glad I haven't looked in on this thread til now.
    Same old same old Hoffman.
    249 pages with 2 maybe 3 pages of real info.
    Par for the course.
    I'll check back mid-August.
    Page count should be near 1k by then with nothing new.

11. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Well you added to it.

theMess, zobalob, aina and 7 others like this.
  12. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

How dare we have discussion about one of our favorite albums.

13. john morris

True. What's more people don't realize that their colour HD/4k monitors aren't giving them authentic Black and White. Your will notice a strange colour tint to the picture. To watch all balck and white shows/movies in real B&W on your television turn off your colour and if possible turn your colour temperature to Cold. This is the way they would have looked in the cinema. When scanning and restoring B&W pictures you set the software to greyscale.

It reminds me of some people on line who keep asking, "When are they gonna release Gone With The Wind in widescreen?" All movies up until the Robe in 1953 (2.55:1 ratio)/// were the Academy Standard ratio of 1.3379:1(4:3) (Napoleon does not count! There is no 4:1 lens or 4:1 framing. That movie is 3 synchronized 4:3 films showed side by side. It is not one wide 4:1 image.)

To me a pan/scan 1.78:1 version of Gone With The Wind is like Using the Spectral Isolation software to remix Abbey Road. And why do we need to remix the Please Please Me or With The Beatles Album? Check out the mono instrumentals mixes of the first two Beatle British albums. They are works art. SIS would ruin With The Bealtes like it would ruin Abbey Road. All the fine detail would be lost. For example: Till There Was You. On the stereo mix during the solo if you listen on headphones to the vocal side you can hear PAUL'S FINGERS ON THE STRINGS OF HIS BASS. The engineers didn't intend for this to be heard but damn! you don't get closer to Fab Four than that. And that was heard listening to a upper self (311-390 kbs) variable bit rate MP4 played through a Samsung Galaxy IIIS with a pair of IBeats Studios. (And they have little detail!)

14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. Even if there isn't a Paul guide vocal (but hopefully there is) I would love to hear this with just the instrumentation and without Mary's vocal. The guitar interplay on this is just so melodic, with both acoustic and the Leslie's guitar.it is SO Abbey Road-ish!

Just want to add that there is nothing wrong with Mary's vocal, it is great. But it would be nice to just hear a version with just the nerk twin and the schnoz twin!

Isaac Azimuth, Calico and longdist01 like this.
  15. john morris

Don't let Steve Hoffman hear you say that!

Some confusion regarding Tube circuits. Old tube circuits like the ones from the 50's and 60's have the tubby bloated bottom end. And of course that high frequency tint. They do add character to the sound but not realism. modern tube circuits don't sound like those vintage tube equipment. They are linear, accurate and don't produce the vintage tube sound many on here don't like. (And I don't blame them.) A properly designed modern tube circuit is superior to transistor one. And for those who disagree, just ask Steve.

But both old and modern tube circuits will produce even harmonic distortion when they overload. Unlike transistors which produce odd harmonic distortion. Even harmonic distortion is related to the audio and therefore musical whereas odd harmonic distortion is horrible sounding.

FYI: It is the transformers in the tube circuit that gives the vintage tube gear it sound. The actual tubes just give that wierd high frequency colouring over the sound. When buying a tube plug in make sure it offers both: Adjustment for tube sound and adjustments for the sound of the transformer. Without the sound of the transformers you will not get the real tube sound. All those transistor mixing boards of the 70's were full of transformers. By the 80's the trend was for transformerless mixing boards. This led to the clean (thin) sound of many of the SSL board mixes of the 80's.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
    shmuckler and Deacon Blues like this.
  16. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Please don’t play into this snarky ness.
    Beave

Beatle Ed and maccawings like this.
  17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

You’ve just been reported by the Beave!
    Stop being a d..k.
    Beave

stevenson66g and Beatle Ed like this.
  18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Academy ratio - Wikipedia

19. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Maybe they are waiting till the 51st anniversary?

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

It was re-released in 1.85:1 in 1954 and 1967. Terrible quality!

geekzapoppin and john morris like this.
  21. john morris

My bad. The old television ratio was 1.33:1
    The original Academy ratio is and I stand correct was 1.37:1.
    But the difference between 1.37 and 1.33 is tiny.

22. john morris

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! (Like Darth Vader at the End of Episode III)

dewey02 likes this.
  23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

24. john morris

Question: Did you know that already or did you have to look it up? All my stats and facts are from memory. Which is why I would get the old television ratio mixed up with the old Academy ratio. Damn you Wiki! :(

While we are on the topic is the Ultimate Panavison 70MM ratio 2.79:1 or 2.8:1? (No looking up. That's cheating!)
    The problem is people just round it off but 35 MM wide is either 2.35:1 / 2.39:1. It is never called 2.4:1. And the modern European ratio is always 1.66:1. No one calls it 1.7:1....Or do they?

I swear if I quote another stupid film ratio I am gonna just die!

Deacon Blues likes this.
  25. Exotiki

lets hope let it be will be the proper aspect ratio. Let it Be was filmed in 4:3 16mm film
    it was theatrically presented in "pan and scan" 35mm widescreen
    and for some video released the 35mm widescreen crop was cropped again back to 4:3 showing even less picture.
    lets just stick with scans from the 16mm negs

The Ole' Rocker and Beatle Ed like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.