Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

I agree and have the same feeling.
    Reading back Lewisohn now and his descriptions of the Abbey Road recording are often quite empty. I hope that this means that the choices that were made for this release are more interesting than we think....

2. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Same here! :edthumbs:

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think there have been surprises on both 50th boxes so far, and I expect nothing less here. This is going to make for some great listening. I'm really excited! :goodie:

4. Apple should ignore what’s out on bootlegs.

I’ll never understand people saying they are disappointed because “we already have xxx on boots. We’ve already heard xxx on boots.”

Artists have to ignore what may or may not be out in the world and release what they feel appropriate. And not everyone has heard all these things anyway.

Official presentation has to start from scratch, whatever some of us may want.

5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I believe it contains the full recording of the backing vocals/harmonies. They are still present in the album version, but a section of them was replaced with the piano overdub.

marklamb likes this.
  6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

If anything, I want an official release of the bootlegs for the upgrade in sound quality anyway!

7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

How about the next Paul Archive reissues??? Lets cover it all at this point lol

Who Cares, joeislive and supermd like this.
  8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Perhaps true, I am not an expert on such things.
    However, what you say may be true if it is released as accompaniment to the original song.
    But when released as its own track, with nothing but George Martin's music that was written by Martin, then I could see that track being attributed to him and royalties due him. Was "a beginning" not attributed to him? They claimed it was originally an introduction to a Beatles track?

Shaddam IV and Beatle Ed like this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I 100% agree. And besides, even if this set was 50% what's already on bootlegs, listening to the new stuff along with the previously-released bootleg stuff all in one go creates a really good flow and mood. They curate these sets very well, and it's a magical mood when listening to the outtakes discs in one go. It's a new, unique experience.

10. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm just surprised that there's nothing unheard or unknown included... like the Let It Be and Baby, I Don't Care snippet on WA. Not a HUGE problem, just a bit underwhelming. I think it seems a bit rushed because nothing was added outside of the album sessions, except for Goodbye. Not even Come And Get It. We KNOW that the archives had busks of Games People Play (from the Oh Darling session) and the previously mentioned Who Slapped John/Be Bop A Lula run through. Including little things like this would show that the crew delved deep(er) into the tapes, IMO. Again, I'll be thrilled hearing all the outtakes, just wish there were a few surprises thrown in. And who knows? Maybe there will be? Ron

11. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Maybe a JL/POB 50th Dec 2020 along with an ATMP 50th in the month before?

12. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Like Pepper 50 and White Album 50 it will be the 2CD to keep in the car and the box for the house...………..LOVE IT!

13. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Bootlegs don’t count. They do not officially exist and I’m sure Apple ignores them, rightly.
    People who spent years listening to bootlegs are less enthusiast than us when it comes to Deluxe box sets.. it’s part of the game.

14. brainwashed

My comments had nothing to do with previously issued bootleg recordings. I'm all for proper, Abbey Road-sanctioned audio replacing bootleg sources. My main issue is not getting more previously unheard outtakes and demos. That being said, some things look quite tantalizing. Ballad of John & Yoko is complete and 5 seconds longer than the released version. Old Brown Shoe is also complete, a little shorter and will include Lennon's rhythm guitar part. Of course the Here Comes The Sun outtake has never been heard. The take George vetoed in 1996 for Anthology 3? I guess I'll have to wait to do a track-by-track analysis until late September. Ron

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

One thing I really enjoy about the outtakes that I forget about until I re-listen to them is the chat before and after. It really creates the feeling of being there and being immersed into their song creation. It also helps paint a picture of collaboration and fun in the studio in a way that's impossible otherwise. For example, hearing John and George have a quick back and forth about the song and actively conversing about what they should do next to benefit the song (and not their egos) is hugely rewarding to me. Giles is doing an excellent job of curating this stuff. It IS Giles who chooses the outtakes and stuff, right? I think those chat bits can be classified as surprises, and I think we'll get more here. :)

16. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

It would be cool if they did a cassette tape reissue of it just as a PR thing

17. brainwashed

Well jeez... if that was true we never would have gotten TWO BBC releases. Apple DOES know bootlegs. The entire Anthology series was their way of fighting back against bootlegs. Ron

18. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Maybe there was stuff just not that good, who knows.

19. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

If the aforementioned tracklisting is correct, then I too am a bit underwhelmed. However, it may just be the pickings were slim this time around. If so, Apple could probably have offered up a few more outtakes and run throughs of each track, rather than just one. Oh well, I look forward to the set anyway but my sights are really set on what they do with Let It Be next year.

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Have Apple found the leaker yet?

[​IMG]

21. brainwashed

... and it's possible some of the little busks could be included amongst the outtakes. Just not expressly written on the track list. I hold out some hope:)

22. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Or it would just mean that they had read Lewisohn's book like the rest of us!

I'm sure that every session tape has been listened to, and the songs you've referred to, whilst we'd all love to hear them, might just be roughly played fragments, even briefer than the White Album snippets they included last time.

But yes, I'd still love to hear them. The thing is, including a few extra tracks on a CD should be a no brainer, especially with all the unused space, but the knock on effect is that the vinyl releases end up having extra discs, thereby upping the price.

23. I'll just load the big set onto my iPhone and CarPlay® everything on the road :tiphat:

Lewisboogie, kevintee and supermd like this.
  24. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Sure but since I don’t love bootlegs, and I don’t care if this or that has already been bootlegged, I enjoy the whole new experience much more than others, that’s all.

It’s all new to me (well, not all to be honest)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Shaddam IV, Beatle Ed and Who Cares like this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Maybe I missed something, but where are the track times in the leaked track listing?

I see. I misunderstood your original post. I mean, heck, I'll take 4 discs of outtakes per album, but I know I have been beyond pleased by what we have received so far, so I am riding on that faith. I REALLY hope "The Ballad of John and Yoko" included here is an alternate take. Maybe the fabled exchange where they refer to each other as George and Ringo? I've really wanted to hear that.

Also, where would "You Know My Name" belong? The Let It Be set? Or are they just ignoring it here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.