Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Hey @mikecarrera I have the same question as @Karl Denver, if it's The Beatles answer 10-4, if it's solo Beatles say you are drinking alone. They'll never unlock that code :D

Josip, mikecarrera and Panama Jack like this.
  2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Well not necessarily so. Modern remixes don't ALWAYS have centered drums and bass. Most? Prevailing? Sure, but not all. Secondly, much of the White Album was recorded on 4 track and let's face it the 8 track era was brand new for George Martin and company. Some of the mixes simply couldn't feature centered drums and bass because of the methods used back in the day. The "sandal crowd" would have cried crocodile tears if Giles and team used jiggery pokery demixing methods to artificially remix in the "modern" way. Ron

PS There's always the possibility that Paul, Ringo, Yoko and/or Olivia/Dhani may have nixed a modern-typr remix or 3 just because THEY didn't like how it sounded. There's little chance we'd ever know such a thing took place.

Who Cares and bherbert like this.
  3. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Did he say it's Beatles related? Mike's avatar is rock n roll circus, maybe another Stones box such as Let it Bleed 50?

mikecarrera likes this.
  4. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

@mikecarrera do you think the Beatles mono box will ever be reissued. AAA or otherwise?

mikecarrera likes this.
  5. slane

slane Forum Resident

The vocals on BOJ&Y were done live with the acoustic guitar and drums basic take, so are presumably on all takes. There was no lead vocal overdubs.

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thank you.

7. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Because "The Ballad of John and Yoko" and "Old Brown Shoe" are on Past Masters, I think the AR50 box will include outtakes of those songs but not the remixed masters.

It's my contention that the masters of any tracks that are on PM are being held for a remixed Past Masters release that'll just be the tracks and no outtakes. Therefore the outtakes go with the set of the album (or nearest album) to their sessions.

"Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" were included in the Pepper50 box (to much fanfare) because those two songs are not on Past Masters, and at that point Apple wasn't sure it would ever do a MMT deluxe music-focused box or any further deluxe boxes for that matter. After Pepper50 was a hit commercially and critically, Apple probably greenlit plans to do more box sets, as we are starting to see, and will stick to this rule so they don't make Past Masters obsolete by using all these tracks on album box sets.

8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I think that you've hit it squarely.

Makes perfect sense.
    (Which, of course, gives me pause...)

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

... and means that it's unlikely to be Apple Corps' plan...

:magoo:

10. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Mmm.. I’m not sure. I just assumed that it was, since it’s a Beatles’ thread and that’s what he has given us clues on in the past. Another reason for Mike to jump in and clarify!!

11. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

In case of With a Little Help from My Friends, for example, 1999 YSS mix centers the drums, but 2017 mix does not (because apparently drums in the center changed quality of Ringo's voice).

As for "demixing", they probably used it anyway but in places where it produces the least artifacts like a track that has bass guitar and a tambourine, that is easily separated. As for other methods, Giles himself said that they used ADT on some stuff - he was demonstrating it on the intro guitar of Dear Prudence, saying that they used it (the same ADT machine Beatles used) to make a "stereo" out of original mono track guitar. Apparently, they used it quite a lot as well, but also made some weird choices with it (like bass in Dear Prudence).

Who Cares and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  12. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

For sure. No matter what, it still comes to down to choices. Some songs probably didn't sound all that great with centered drums and bass. Other times technology could be used which enabled certain remixes to take place. Again, whether you or I or the "sandal brigade" likes the end results or not. Ron

Sean Murdock, Gila and bherbert like this.
  13. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Not for now, not in a long time. Regards

14. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

I was forgetting THAT other box set (Stones Circus one), so now you can add another box to your wants this year since it's Beatle-related (Dirty Mac), ufff to many coming out this year. (Wedding Album Box set LP and Box Set Japan exclusive was one of the first this year, Egypt Traveler's another one..)

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

But I thought that Giles “liberated” the music of the White Album with his remix??

teag, Onder and Gila like this.
  16. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

The Pepper 50th box was ok. The White 50th was great, it had more cool outtakes & unreleased songs, jams, totally different takes of known songs, yada yada.

The new mixes they do on the boxes are ok, not my favorite element of this new Beatles box set trip.

Making a comp set of (then) unreleased Anthology tracks & the new boxset outtakes, its really starting to amount to a trove of good stuff.

But on Sgt Pepper 50 they left the cool tracks in the can, no Carnival of Light, newly mixed or alternate Northern Song etc.

So I'm hoping the Abbey Road 50 is done more like White 50 than Pepper 50.

Also on the White album they gave us a new music video. I realize Abbey Road doesn't have the abundance of outtakes the White album had, but I hope they give what they do have, Who Slapped John, Aint She Sweet, Ballad of J&Y, Old Brown Shoe, Come & Get it etc. AND a new video like Glass Onion !!!

I wont buy if it doesn't have that stuff, just for new mixes & artwork... maybe they'll do standalone full versions of medley songs like Mr Mustard & Bathroom Window, with endings & Intros & the whole 9 yards !.

I never would have believed I could ever say this a few years ago. But maybe the 50th Let It Be is gonna be the one to have !!! Literally a hundred extra songs !!@ all spiffed up with demixing tech, digital editing, combine good pieces of different performances to get good takes & doubling overdubs !!@

Who Cares likes this.
  17. Jarek_Venera

Jarek_Venera Forum Resident

Ye, there is no reason for it.

18. Exotiki

Thanks. I just bought one on eBay for 600 CAD. Not great compared to what it was but better than what it has been selling for

19. Exotiki

So I’m just gonna go out on a limb and say that another mono box ain’t coming out till all the remixes are finished

20. Exotiki

Expect for the fact that the first two albums are unlistenable in stereo and the mono mixes are basically a need. If they weren’t why would the 87 cds have represented the in mono only

Frances the Mute likes this.
  21. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Hey Mike- So is the Stones Rock and Roll circus box set the secret box set you hinted at the other day? Or were you talking about something entirely different!

Thanks

Beatlemen and marklamb like this.
  22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Barely unlistenable. I’ve had them on stereo since 1981 and can play them just fine.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  23. Exotiki

sorry, little grammatical error. to me, they are barely listenable with the vocals hard panned to the left and the instrumental on the right.

24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That is a story that has been hashed and rehashed multiple times over...

George Martin... stereo?... not intended?.... not enough time... Mono!

25. Exotiki

ok, that wasn't my strongest point but do you enjoy listening to PPM and WTB with the vocals hard panned to the left and the instrumental on the right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.