Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Thank you for confirming again what I've always suspected about this position: it's really about control over others, and how they experience things.

2. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Abbey Road Moog choices sound both otherworldly & classical at the same time.

I can see how temptation might be to go with more exotic sounds right out of the box but understatement so works on this album playing to the song.

3. Shaddam IV

The Moog being an overdub, I don't think it will be on the outtake.

4. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

This ^

and can’t he listen to one of your multiple copies?

I mean, if you guys are really so concerned about how the future generations hear Beatles music you wouldn’t hoard the best sounding copies, sealed and open on vinyl and CD for yourselves. Many of you own copies of the same pressings and keep some sealed for resale purposes. You guys aren’t doing the future generation any favors keeping these best sounding releases at a premium price on the market while bashing streaming and everything else. Then the tackiness of some to put the box set money into a Black Triangle copy instead since it won’t be beat sound-wise. How about stop hoarding it and let the world hear Abbey Road sounding its best and not for a premium! Future generations have the 2009 CD (“Nope, too boomy”) 1987 CD (Nope, not good like the Black Triangle), streaming? (Nope, sounds crappy)? How do you expect the future generation to listen to the Beatles to your satisfaction then? I mean if you guys actually care about future generations’ Beatles fans and all and it’s not about controlling how others experience the Beatles.

nasa09, Lewisboogie, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  5. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

There's always this that has the original mix in 44.1/24

The Beatles - The Beatles - Stereo USB

6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

It’s just a different approach, and one i’d welcome - which would be to include all of the iterations in one place as an archival comparative approach. There’s certainly plenty of space on the blu rays to include original mono, stereo, single mixes, demos, rehearsals, outtakes etc. See the King Crimson and XTC dvd/blu rays as an example. Maybe for the 75th anniversary.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Because Steve said once that he thinks that's what's going to happen and people latched on. SOME of them VERY emphatically. :laugh:

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

George brought the moog in very late during the Abbey Road sessions (5 August 1969 to be exact). Manfred Mann's Mike Vickers came along to help demonstrate the capabilities and do some programming, It was et up in Room 43 and then fed to Studio 2. . Lewisohn mentions that George used it first on Because (using the the last two tracks available). The following day Paul used it on Maxwell's Silver Hammer, not using the keyboard, but a continuous ribbon device. On the 8th John used it on I Want You (She's So Heavy) and finally, George again, on the 19th recording his moog parts on Here Comes The Sun. Definitely adds a nice touch to the all-but-finished recordings. Ron

9. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

"It's all about the children." :unhunh:

Lewisboogie and Shaddam IV like this.
  10. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Well, I said from what I can tell so far. I'll wait to decide for certain when I can listen to the released version, rather than an online file. I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt though, rather than pre-judge negatively!

Lewisboogie and Jimmy Cooper like this.
  11. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

No, it doesn't. But just a better sound could have been achieved though, I'm certain!

12. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

No, because my question was whether the original mix will still be readily accessible to the average person in the future. My personal sense is that the above will happen, on a corporate level, with regards to the new mix. I'm not advocating controlling anyone or limiting access to any one mix.

MPLRecords likes this.
  13. skynet_osiris

skynet_osiris Forum Resident

Hi I am new in the forum, but I would agree with you, for me listening to You Tube versions on line is not a fair comparison, I would rather wait for the final product to do a decent review, so far It had been a great experience for me with Sgt Pepper and the WA SE versions in 5.1 DTS, these in fact, had become my go to versions since they came out, I still listen sometimes to my vinyl and also I bought the vinyl version as well of these SE's but DTS is the main thing for me.

Beatle Ed, audiotom and Ken Wood like this.
  14. dvakman

Man, a lot of blanket assumptions are being made here. Maybe you are referring to many others here; I have no idea. You certainly aren't referring to me.

15. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

That's probably true because previously drums for many artists had tended to sound very tinny and lacking in guts. So, by comparison, they were a breakthrough. They haven't aged well though and led to a trend in the '70s with everything sounding cardboard-boxy. Listening now, some of the AR drums just sound bone dry and lacking in atmosphere. It's the only Beatles LP which has that problem though.

16. Shaddam IV

Fair enough! As long as you're not one of those "should not be remixed" guys.

But honestly, if tomorrow's kids want the original mixes, they'll have them, and your psychic energy is better spent lobbying for saving the planet they'll inhabit rather than their right to access a song mix with the drums 20% more off-center, or whatever, because -

Personally, I think it's utter hubris to think a future generation NEEDS access to inferior mixes because some (a few) preferred them long ago, having been seared into their memories. The new mixes are already preferred. I think this is really about "me", "my" memories, and not about them.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Perhaps the flat uncompressed original mix was not included because it would make direct comparisons to the remix more easily performed and wouldn't be favorable to or would steal the spotlight from the new remix.

18. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

The Beatles are one of the most popular musical acts in the world out of all time and any era, and the original mixes have been mass produced this entire time for over 50 years and will continue to be mass produced moving forward

I don't think in the case of The Beatles this is something to worry about

19. Shaddam IV

Unlikely? They're directly, easily, and quickly comparable on Spotify. It's like they're just asking you to compare the two by including both on streaming platforms, and with the way it's set up.

More easily performed by those buying a physical copy? I think us guys already have a copy of the original. It's "more easily performed" to compare with a new disc than your old copy? Mmmm...

20. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I suppose with this instrumental track and the a capella track from Anthology 3, some intrepid Beatles fan could do a new mix of the two for a unique, non-Moog version of the song. Or even use the LOVE version vocals...

Lewisboogie and Shaddam IV like this.
  21. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

It's never been a problem for me.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. dvakman

Personally, I think it's a bit presumptive to assume that future generations NEED preferential access to newer mixes that reflect whatever the current sonic trends of the moment happen to be, divorced from their original context and signed off by few who were actually involved in the songs' original conception and groundbreaking impact.

You actually seem much more worked up and passionate about this topic than I am though, and I've made all the points I need to make. Sorry if I've derailed the topic. I'm looking forward to the outtakes!

Beatle Ed likes this.
  23. Shaddam IV

You're making my point here!

The principals, stakeholders, (Beatles), and the market, want this. It's not about what you think they don't need.

24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Guys, the original Beatles albums aren't going away. This is not a NEW COKE situation. Let's just relax and worry about what our grandchildren listen to later down the road.

25. dvakman

I'm relaxed; I just think it's an interesting topic for discussion. BTW, I don't think this is a New Coke situation. Quite the contrary. New Coke failed, and Classic Coke remains readily accessible to this day. I think that the new mixes are resolutely here to stay, and eventually predominate other than in diehard fan circles. Maybe there's nothing to be lost in that. Maybe somewhere down the road, Stella, Sean, Dhani and Zak will want to update the sound again. It's up to the listener to decide if something important is being lost in this whole process. There's no need to impugn anyone's personal motives though (I'm not referring to you, BTW). I'm certainly not doing that with any other posters here.

Beatle Ed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.