Abbey Road - Aussie 1984 cut

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndrewSlattery, Oct 7, 2021.

1. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nothing wrong with a good passionate and postive ramble :)

AP is a fantastic label. I honestly reckon the Aussie 70's Beatles records have more silent vinyl though. Hard to believe given they're all super thin. Kinda proves that 180gm, 200gm etc doesn't make any difference haha.

I would love for AP to have a crack at the Beatles albums to see if they could make them even more special. And press them on their UHQR clarity vinyl. That's the only thing that comes close to the Aussie wax in terms of quietness.

I'm also still trying to find a minty peppers mono. Every OG or new mono copy is pretty stupidly priced :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    monomusic likes this.
  2. Thanks for all the interesting info Andrew. I found a copy of the Australian EMI Abbey Road. Hoping it's the right one.

AndrewSlattery likes this.
  3. AndrewSlattery

No worries! Do you want to post the discogs link and I'll let you know what you've got

4. I found it on Gumtree. I asked all the questions to try make sure it's the right one. The deadwax has YEX749A and YEX750B, so it might not be the 1984 cut. But Manufactured by EMI Australia Sydney NSW.

5. AndrewSlattery

6. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Good that you mention "thin" vinyl. If you like any artists on the RCA label in the 70's - those DynaFlex records are some of the thinnest ever made, and ... I love the way those sound. I'm pretty convinced that vinyl thickness, in these days of 200-gram, etc., is a bit overrated. Any record, made by anyone, depends entirely on the mastering and cutting job, by whoever did it, far more than how thick or thin the record is.

7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

That’s false. I have an AU first pressing of AR that is an absolute noise fest.

hoggydoggy and lukpac like this.
  8. AndrewSlattery

What condition is it in? And have you cleaned it properly? The first cut is also on fantastic silent vinyl if it's clean. The first Aussie press is also cut from the UK master and according to the pic of the tape box, it was the second ever cut, so from the freshest tape imaginable. If it's clean in NM condition it will sound tremendous. It's also said to be one of the best sounding AR presses.

john lennonist likes this.
  9. AndrewSlattery

They all have 749A / 750B it's more about what comes after it. Also when he said good condition does he mean good as in it's really good? Or good as in official grade good (which means junk)

john lennonist likes this.
  10. I know. The only way I’ll know for sure is to have it in my hands. So I thought for $29 just get it.

11. AndrewSlattery

Good luck! Hope it's a win.

A little advice for future purchases, I wouldn't ever buy records off Gumtree. I learnt the hard way when I started buying records. My advice is buy off discogs from sellers with good ratings. You can also see exactly what you're getting by the matrix codes. Trust me, I'm obsessed with this stuff

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  12. AndrewSlattery

This one is almost the same as the one I've been talking about. Again same tape, studio, time, team etc. The vinyl most likely won't be as epic as the 84 but will still be better than 99% of other records.

The Beatles – Abbey Road (1980, Vinyl)

There's a super cheap VG+ copy for anyone that wants a good starter copy. The Aussie seller is probably more trust worthy than the one from Kazakhstan

13. terry toww

terry toww Forum Resident

My point is you're calling this version of AR a mix. That's why I bolded the word in the quote. It's not a mix, it's a different vinyl mastering. You're hyperbole isn't warranted. There are some nice sounding Australian records but there are also some abysmal ones. This is an international forum and someone reading your wall-to-wall boosterism for Australian records is going to be severely cheesed off when they receive a dog of a local pressing (and there are plenty).

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The OP said nothing that was untruthful. Just because you have a copy that’s noisy doesn’t mean that the whole pressing run sucks.

I have a 1st press Australian copy that plays nicely.

Ben Sinise and AndrewSlattery like this.
  16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I think you misread. They said “you can’t go wrong with any Aussie AR.” My copy of the Australian 1st pressing would be an exception to that.

john lennonist, lukpac and Shawn like this.
  17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

That’s the one I have! I looked that one up and finally found a mint copy I got for like $39. It’s NOT bright, I know what that is. What it is is the most natural high end I’ve heard on Abbey Road. Example : the high hat sounds real, I’m an ex drummer so I know. And say on “Maxwell’s” it sounds like I’m in the seat hitting them! No excessive tape hiss either. I was blown away when I heard this. Great pressing!
    Beave

18. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

@Tommyboy - Just following up on this ... I checked them, and my two Abbey Road NZ blue box pressings are ...

1. hand-written YEX local recut
    2. hand-written YEX local recut

1. machine-stamped UK metal -2
    2. machine-stamped UK metal -1

I've never done an A/B comparison between the first press UK -2/-1 and this one. Should do that sometime, not sure how much difference there would be.

john lennonist and Tommyboy like this.
  19. AndrewSlattery

If you're talking about the Red Flag press then I can 100% confirm its brilliant. Super detailed yet not bright.

20. AndrewSlattery

And your negative comments aren't welcome here mate. If you don't like the content then please go elsewhere. Plenty of people here find my content valuable. Of course there are crap Australian pressings, and no I'm not highlighting them.

21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Let me see what that is in yank current...

Not bad! S**t, that's around what a 2019 new AR goes for here in US. Thanks for the scoop!

22. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Ex drummer. Same here. Know what you mean in knowing what to listen for. It's not in the audiophile category, but it is a big plus.

Dig your posts by the way. Peace and God bless.

The Beave and AndrewSlattery like this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Got it. My apologies

lukpac likes this.
  24. AndrewSlattery

I can't promise it's still that price, but worth looking for. Very good silent vinyl too. I recommend this Japanese seller for Japanese stuff. Good prices. Expect super accurate grading, great packaging, fast shipping. They have heaps of Beatles. Just don't buy the green apple revolver. It sounds like a piece of ssssshhhhiiitttteeee. ZERO bass. All treble. No idea what they were thinking

ella_records