AC/DC - The Original Australian Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulisdead, Nov 20, 2017.

1. tages

tages Senior Member

One thing that intrigues me -

On my original first pressing Australian "T.N.T." LP the track "Rocker" fades out (but goes on a bit longer than the one found on CD).

On my New Zealand "T.N.T." LP the track is complete with abrupt ending.

On my Australian "T.N.T" 8-Track, the track is the same as the New Zealand LP.

2. tages

tages Senior Member

Also, has the live version of "Dog Eat Dog" (Glasgow, 1978) that was the B-Side of the live "Whole Lotta Rosie" in Australia ever showed up on CD?

Edit : Just checked - it's on that "Backtracks" thing too. How's that sound?

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Tis a shame indeed that a band as internationally famous as AC/DC has not had these original core albums re-released on vinyl, I know there is a market for them!
    I was lucky enough to stumble on to a press of TNT at my local, and a forum bud let me test drive his High Voltage. The others I have not heard.
    But they truly need to be shown the light of day again!
    Along with those maybe the UK rush mix of Powerage should also be included?
    Guess I'll just have to keep searching...

4. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

It would be nice if Powerage and Highway to Hell were in there too. I prefer the Aussie cover art on Highway... The box set sounds nice but they'd never include the Dave Evans single.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Options...
    [​IMG]

Giorgio, izgoblin and paulisdead like this.
  6. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

The band have actively gone out of their way to erase Dave Evans from their history. Only "Rockin' In The Parlour" has appeared on CD on the
    Albert Archives compilation (Albert Productions ‎– 465395 2).

"Can I Sit Next To You Girl" with Dave's vocals has never seen an official release. Other than the rare as hell original single - you can find it on a Perth radio compilation titled 6KY Rock Steady. This is where I got my copy of the track.

[​IMG]

The Doga and Mylene like this.
  7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Backtracks sounds the same as the 2003 remasters.

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd buy this in a heartbeat presuming they did it well, sound-wise.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I know the Japan for Australia are different; I own them all. I was speculating on the Disctronics Australia versus CBS/Sony Australia pressings. I thought they used the same mastering.

10. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

oh yeah I know they try to erase Dave Evans but the truth is Bon Scott really saved their asses. It's funny to hear Malcolm try to blame Dave Evans for everything when he's wearing the same glam stuff. I have no doubt they would've wound up like Supernaut without Bon. :D

With that said I kind of dig Rabbit and this great music video where Dave and the band try to flirt with this scary woman. He even wears the AC/DC jacket. There's even a poor man's Vanda and Young in the studio. :laugh:

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I wish I had known that there was a difference on some of the tracks on the Australian CDs. I would have bought them when they were affordable. :shrug:

12. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

As a non-Australian who grew up with the so-called "international" versions of those albums, I must say that when I discovered the original Australian versions for the first time, I immediately thought them to be better ! All of the edits already mentioned, plus the additional tracks that were removed ! (Crassbody in blue, etc...).

From that day I never listened to the International versions anymore.
    And in these years of vinyl craze, I would LOVE to see new reissues of the original Australian Lps, with OZ artwork, etc....

13. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

Dave wasn't in the same league as Bon Scott, but he wasn't as bad as Malcolm would make him out to be. And you're right, the band didn't seem to be putting up too much of fight in their glam rock gear in the "Can I Sit Next To You Girl" video. In fact - Angus Young's school boy get-up came from their brief filtration with glam rock.

The Doga, Jerquee and izgoblin like this.
  14. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Whilst i love my Aussie Albert LPs the UK Porky mastering on the international versions does sound better to me. You have to hear the UK Porky of Let There Be Rock. It's a different cut to the US Porky. More punch and bass. The Alberts do sound a little thin to me compared but they're not bad. I have heard needledrops of the New Zealand Alberts and they sound better than the Aussie pressings. More warmth.

bjlefebvre and Cassius like this.
  15. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

There are at least three versions of Powerage too - early mix without Rock n' Roll Damnation and with Cold Hearted Man, Final mix with Rock n' Roll Damnation and without Cold Hearted Man, and Final mix with both Rock n' Roll Damnation and Cold Hearted Man.

I think the version in print now may even have slight differences too (No Cold Hearted Man though)

The song order is all over the map too.

Confused?

16. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Are they wooing the singer for the MC5? Truly horrific. :help:

statcat likes this.
  17. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Not likely since he has none at all!

blutiga likes this.
  18. Jimmy Agates

I beg to differ.

walrus likes this.
  19. Jimmy Agates

These changes were messed up well before the band were huge so you're talking out your backside I'm afraid....

The Doga likes this.
  20. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Well, I’m very interested to hear your theory on how AC/DC have been prevented, reissue after reissue, from righting the wrong that is their international catalogue. I just hope it comes with some evidence to back it up...

21. Jimmy Agates

No hang on you said this is the way the band want it...you made the bold statement so you prove it.

I need to prove nothing the albums were released a certain way and then changed by overseas record companies when the band were in their early years...so why would anyone believe the changed ones are what the band wanted...get serious.

Never have I heard or seen an Ac/Dc member cite the rejigged versions as "just the way we always wanted them to be"

The Doga and Rockin' Robby like this.
  22. Veni Vidi Vici

And you’ve never heard them say they aren’t. If the band wanted them to be restored to the original Aussie versions, why haven’t they done so? So, what is your evidence that they do want them changed?

23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Don't want to rain on someone's parade, but Baby Please Don't Go initially was booted from the international releases, as well as Jailbreak. Two pivotal songs.
    And the band is okay with that?

24. Jimmy Agates

I never said they wanted them changed so maybe reread my posts. I said the albums were released as they intended then they were messed with by the US record companies...I didn't make this **** up you know!

The Doga likes this.
  25. Veni Vidi Vici

I'm not disputing the fact that the albums were released in different configurations. I'm saying that for decades AC/DC have had the clout to rectify that if they wanted to, but they haven't, so it probably doesn't bother them very much. Maybe they think the international versions are stronger. Perhaps they like the international sleeves more. They certainly haven't minded their Aussie record company using the international edits of particular tracks for domestic reissues - that could only have been a decision that came from the band, not a US record company.